Tesco's Momentum 99 sucks?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPaul7

Reaction score
So I have been using Tesco's Momentum 99 ever since I have had my car. I used about 15 tanks so far and have recently noticed a strange smell coming through the fans (on or off) when i'm driving kinda hard. It smells strange but there is definitely a petrol odor mixed into it, so today I switched to Tesco's regular 95 unleaded.
The strange smell I mentioned has already completely gone and along with a few other changes... My MPG when using Momentum 99 was around 32-33 and it is now 39-40 with the same driving style on the very same roads. The biggest difference I noticed is to do with the acceleration and throttle response when below 3k RPM. Previously when rev matching at below 3k RPM I would have to keep my foot on the gas for a good second before the revs picked up whereas now it is instant... Also the acceleration when below 3k RPM is completely different, it picks up much better.

Anybody else experienced this with Momentum 99 and is this the same with all the premium petrol?
Could it possibly be because the car is supposed to use between 95-98 octane and Momentum 99 is 99 octane?
Kinda confused, but I know that I won't be using Momentum 99 again.

shell is prob the only "high octane" id ever waste my cash on

my evo wouldnt even run prop on anything else, i could tell u the exact location of shell garages around my house :?

i tried bp once as i was running low and it was sh*t, ran like a bag of cr*p.never bothered again

DanPaul7":1wvegq9s said:
Anybody else experienced this with Momentum 99 and is this the same with all the premium petrol?
Could it possibly be because the car is supposed to use between 95-98 octane and Momentum 99 is 99 octane?
I said elsewhere that I put a tank in and the car noticeably didn't like it. I use V-Power all the time - the car is fine on 95RON but clearly detunes itself, but it didn't get on with Momentum at all. Ran like it was 95RON, but rougher and much higher consumption.

RON describes the fuel's resistance to heat - and therefore compression; as the piston compresses the fuel it heats up and at some point it's going to spontaneously combust without a spark. The higher the RON rating, the more it can be compressed before "pre-detonating" (or "pinking").

The engine adjusts by counting "knock" cause by pre-detonation, if it happens (too often) it switches to the 95RON map.

A good 99RON is fine, you'll just "lose" a tiny amount of potential because the engines only adjust as far the specification 98RON - it can compress the fuel slightly more, which means more expansion force when it adds the spark. 99RON can be compressed slightly further than 98RON, but the engine doesn't take advantage of that.

On top of that, the engine is optimised for 98RON, so you get a small drop in fuel efficiency with 95RON fuel as it saves itself. I just think there's something about the (current) formulation of Momentum 99 that confuses the Twingo.

I can't say I've ever even tried any of the high octane fuels, I was never ever sure if it was worth paying the extra or if it made any difference. I have 2 Shell garages within a mile of my house so it's not as if I have an excuse really...

I just use the cheapest asda fuel or maybe shell when its cheaper. The expensive stuff even if it did give morr mpg is like 10p more expensive so i never even bother with it.

I use sainsburys 95 Ron and car runs like a dream, better than sainsburys super which I used to run the skyline off and highly recommend it, just not for a twingo!

Been using Mo' 99 and not had that bad an experience with it. At nowhere near as bad as Tesco standard fuel. That made the car run absolutely terrible.

V-Power does seem to respond the best, but to be honest, Mo' 99 isn't that bad IMO.

Been using 99 for ages now and certainly not had any issues with it.
Used Asda fuel once because Tesco was out and I NEEDED fuel and my car was VERY reluctant to do jack all - acceleration was pants, stuttery under full throttle...sod that.

Tesco supplied Momentum 99 for the Jim Clark Rally one year and all the competitors had nothing but good things to say - given it was £1.15 a liter instead of £4+ and it gave them no issues with power/reliability.

There is 0 Point in me using Shell as the nearest garage is 12 miles away and No Point in using BP as it's 6 miles in the opposite direction.

I am using texaco 97 witch works really well as my other choice is Morrisons fuel witch is defo a no go , I would use shell v power but the closest one is 15 miles away :-(

Mo'99 is what I always use and never any problems with it, used 95 and it runs like a sack of s**t...

V-power on the off chance I need to fill up going past a shell, it is great, better than mo'99 but not by much

Never had any issues with momentum 99 personally, use it nearly all of the time unless I happen to driven past a shell and need fuel, collect the Tesco points for free meals out ;-)

V-Power and Momentum (Both 99RON) have been tested and found to be almost exactly the same.

Sainsbury's Premium, BP Ultimate and all other "premium" petrols are 97RON and been proven to be not much better than the standard Shell/BP petrols.

Never knew petrol made a difference. I tried the Tesco 99 stuff a couple times as the pump said it 'might' result in better fuel consumption...it didn't. So V-Power is from Shell. Don't pass a Shell garage but do pass BP. Is that no good?

nrvallen":22ml8115 said:
Never knew petrol made a difference. I tried the Tesco 99 stuff a couple times as the pump said it 'might' result in better fuel consumption...it didn't. So V-Power is from Shell. Don't pass a Shell garage but do pass BP. Is that no good?

The twingos ECU will take 2-3 tanks of higher RON to fully adjust to make the most of it ;).

But IMO it runs well enough on 95 standard and I would only change to v power after a decat and remap, v power only for me as its the closest and cheapest higher octane fuel by me.

tesco momentum is good and if you have a tesco clubcard they often do deals where you get double or triple points. a unmodified car will see no/very little differences but a modified car mapped on momentum will take full advantage of the fuel but you will not see a big difference. people have done tests and on evos and wrx/sti you get 2-4brake not sure how relyable thoes tests were tho.

Im thinking that the Momentum 99 stuff sits in the tank for ages and goes bad? all i know is that my fuel consumption has decreased about 30% since switching to 95 ron so something is up with momentum here...

mayb there is a problem their but you might of been driving different without realising it as i revved to 4k when just plodding around in second when i got momentum but now i got the ktec exaust i keep it around 2-2.5k as it gets loud but it was unintentional, just changes when you are not thinking about driving

nah definitely the same driving, being very lightfooted would return very low MPG.

Momentum 99 in 5th gear @ 30mph = 32-33 MPG
95 ron unleaded in 5th gear @ 30mph = 41-42 MPG

Momentum 99 in 3rd gear @ 30mph = 30-31 MPG
95 ron unleaded in 3rd gear @ 30mph = 38-39 MPG

Momentum 99 in 5th gear @ 60mph = 38-40 MPG
95 ron unleaded in 5th gear @ 60mph = 50+ MPG

Makes no sense really. The fuel consumption I get with 95 unleaded is amazing whereas with Momentum 99 it's average, yet I see no performance increase and my car smells funny when driving hard with Momentum :?