Test drive the Clio 197

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1975DCS

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a test drive in a Clio RS 197... Impressions:
Good grip (as expected)
Didn't feel that fast
Not so much noise from tyres and wind, only a bit exhaust noise
Engine sounds better, less stressed
6th gear about same as our 5th gear
Much more comfortable

Would I buy it? Hmm, I do like the looks of the Twingo RS, but the Clio RS is a better package and despite it didn't feel that fast initially, the Twingo RS now feels even more slow, especially after flooring it when leaving the gas station to the highway after this test drive...

The biggest problem with comparing the 2 cars (We have both a 133 and 200) is that the "feel" of speed is definitely subjective.

The 133 will feel faster because its a much smaller car. Also with less soundproofing the extra noise in the 133 gives the sensation of more speed also.

Imo, with both cars in standard form the gulf in outright performance is clear. The 200 is in a different league imo.

N0ddie":crilw9sh said:
The biggest problem with comparing the 2 cars (We have both a 133 and 200) is that the "feel" of speed is definitely subjective.

The 133 will feel faster because its a much smaller car. Also with less soundproofing the extra noise in the 133 gives the sensation of more speed also.

Imo, with both cars in standard form the gulf in outright performance is clear. The 200 is in a different league imo.

Yep that's what I noticed yesterday on the way home. Kind of funny when journalists say the Clio is not suited for long holiday trips because of the short gear ratios and exhaust note, but the lack of other noises and cruise control makes it a lot better that the Twingo

It is too bad I didn't let the Renault salesman race me, so I could see the difference more clearly...

Also a shame he wanted to sit in the passenger seat with the test drive, because of the very high speed potential (WTF)! So I could only start from 3000 rpm in 2nd gear.