The 133 shocked me tonight..........

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AS_BO

Reaction score
When I was on the way home from work I came onto a roundabout behind a Mazda RX8 and the little Twingo pulled on past it to the top of 3rd gear coming off the boundarout! Nothing ludicrous and I backed off once I'd passed it but genuinely surprised by that. Anyone else minced anything that they wouldn't of expected to?

I really think these cars are quicker than figures suggest. Mine keeps up with and then out handles my mates Leon cupra, and golf gti

There is no chance twingos will keep up in a straight line, the other drivers must have no right foot. Corners yes but straights no chance.

markhardy":pb6fs9zh said:
There is no chance twingos will keep up in a straight line, the other drivers must have no right foot. Corners yes but straights no chance.

I could agree with that. I got a good run off the roundabout behind him so I was into VVT by that point. If I'd come off the roundabout from a dig or below 3k he would've had me but he was genuinely trying. Big plume of smoke from gear changes said it all really!

AS_BO":hyd4wjlp said:
markhardy":hyd4wjlp said:

I could agree with that. I got a good run off the roundabout behind him so I was into VVT by that point. If I'd come off the roundabout from a dig or below 3k he would've had me but he was genuinely trying. Big plume of smoke from gear changes said it all really!

RX8 and big plumes of smoke... Probably badgered :?

singlespeed":13iq3xmb said:
AS_BO":13iq3xmb said:
markhardy":13iq3xmb said:

True Neil! Could've been.

singlespeed":2zxe3keb said:
AS_BO":2zxe3keb said:
markhardy":2zxe3keb said:

shame about those engines with their rotor tips wearing within 30-40k, if someone were to come up with a solution to that...you'd probably see most cars on the road cutting about with tiny wankels inside of them due to their efficiency (when they work, brieflly lol!).
i hear the next generation R16 or something i believe it's called is going to be a 1.6 instead of a 1.3, so effectively a 4.8 Litre engine lol. wonder how long those rotor tips will last if it's seeing more torque and power :/

oscar":1s4mno5b said:
singlespeed":1s4mno5b said:
AS_BO":1s4mno5b said:
markhardy":1s4mno5b said:

shame about those engines with their rotor tips wearing within 30-40k, if someone were to come up with a solution to that...you'd probably see most cars on the road cutting about with tiny wankels inside of them due to their efficiency (when they work, brieflly lol!).
i hear the next generation R16 or something i believe it's called is going to be a 1.6 instead of a 1.3, so effectively a 4.8 Litre engine lol. wonder how long those rotor tips will last if it's seeing more torque and power :/

Saying that Dave, a few drift lads run 20B lumps in cars with no hassle. When I was chasing him it looked like unburnt fuel between changes. Either that or like you say knackered rotor tips.

aye man, they don't do monthly high miles though so one of those engines in a competition / race car will last a fairly long time. they aren't expensive to rebuild if you're doing the job yourself. the 20B 3 rotor is a cracking set up

oscar":1jon2q0a said:
singlespeed":1jon2q0a said:
AS_BO":1jon2q0a said:
markhardy":1jon2q0a said:

hopefully with all the advancements in materials in recent years and learning from their mistakes they'll sort something out I really like RX8s

markhardy":30sjtxrn said:

My thoughts precisely. Having owned my Twingo alongside a Clio 172 and a Megane 225 in a straight line the 133 doesn't have the torque to out do them let along something like an STI. A 2.0 turbo with 220bhp and what 200+ lbs of torque.

The Twingo is light and agile, round tight bends or the right B road it'll shock a lot of more expensive cars but I suspect some of these other drivers are just crap and don't know how to drive their own cars.

I'm not saying the 133 isn't quicker than figures suggest but in a straight line they're really not that quick.

Alex_225":13f9hphj said:
markhardy":13f9hphj said:

My thoughts precisely. Having owned my Twingo alongside a Clio 172 and a Megane 225 in a straight line the 133 doesn't have the torque to out do them let along something like an STI. A 2.0 turbo with 220bhp and what 200+ lbs of torque.

The Twingo is light and agile, round tight bends or the right B road it'll shock a lot of more expensive cars but I suspect some of these other drivers are just crap and don't know how to drive their own cars.

I'm not saying the 133 isn't quicker than figures suggest but in a straight line they're really not that quick.

Agrees with ya all here. The only reason I passed him is because I got a much better run off the boundarout. Otherwise it would've been bye bye RX8!

Being in the right gear at the right time is kind of important if your wanting to make progress. Otherwise, your pressing the accelerator and realising nothing is happening, then changing down and your opportunity has closed.

With 140FtLb at the wheels compared to my 130FtLb at the flywheel, I expected Matteo to be more than capable at keeping up when coming off the roundabout for joining the motorway. I'd selected second rolling up to the clear roundabout whilst Matteo was having a snooze in third and not expecting me to scarper. Was it fair?.. not really :)

singlespeed":15sxx47w said:
Being in the right gear at the right time is kind of important if your wanting to make progress. Otherwise, your pressing the accelerator and realising nothing is happening, then changing down and your opportunity has closed.

With 140FtLb at the wheels compared to my 130FtLb at the flywheel, I expected Matteo to be more than capable at keeping up when coming off the roundabout for joining the motorway. I'd selected second rolling up to the clear roundabout whilst Matteo was having a snooze in third and not expecting me to scarper. Was it fair?.. not really :)

i can't even remember what mines is in foot pounds, it's been that long :S it's not shy off 200 Nm couldn't even tell you what that is in foot pounds to be honest. torque is fun from a stand still though :D taking fairly steep hills at 30mph in 5th, watching the speedo just increase at a leisurely pace. beats going backwards like it did in stock form

80FtLb ~100Nm so around 160FtLb

Edit. Just looked properly
73Nm = 100 FtLb. So, 147FtLb

think it was 190 nm so probably 150-160? wouldn't really matter at the low end, when the high end kicks in most things would leave me behind in fairness. i'll be staying well clear of your dini on the road, not only because it's better in every way .... but mainly because i'd crash paying too much attention to your grids :D

i'm genuinely pissed with myself that i bought grids then sold them, then blew the money

singlespeed":3vk20lyl said:

Agreed. Unless you're upwards of 4K in a Twingo you're screwed. Gotta keep them on the boil. Not sure what you're referring to though Neil. Am I missing a recent post with Matteo?