To Apollo or not to Apollo...

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManxTwingo

Reaction score
Morning Lads and Ladies,

Is it true that a K&N Apollo will reduce BHP, and, is it a better idea to just replace the panel filter instead?

Cheers

Si

yeah you will loose a few horses. the reason for this is down to air being slightly pressurized in the OEM intake system, this provides a slightly pressurized environment. where as the K&N apollo just doesn't for obvious reasons, as it's route is atmosphere directly to engine near enough but it's not something you'd notice on day to day driving. the main negative is that you will create flat spots in your rev range (this is actually what the OEM airbox does, gives you the optimum smooth RPM range, due to the shape and flow of the OEM system) but again that's hardly noticeable.

the main thing about the K&N Apollo is that it sounds AMAZING

Would you recommend an Apollo then or just a panel filter?

Bear in mind I am on the Isle of Man - we have NO speed limits here out of town.

hell yeah man i'd recommend an apollo, actually with the price of the thing i'd go for the BMC CDA but that's only my recommendation. a good few of the guys on here ran / run with BMC CDA kits and were extremely happy with them, but from personal experience with my mate martins apollo in his 133 ... you'll be over the moon with the sound of it, assuming that's your thing mate? apollo is a louder thwarty spitting type induction sound, the bmc cda is a little more burbley and basey

I can concur sounds ace. In fact it was the exact same one Caz had!

I bought my old one from Maggi and I think it was Caz's old filter, it sounded naughtyyy!

depends on what you classify as easy. if you can wiggle and wedge some clips out of grommets that hold the airbox in and use a screwdriver to remove some hose clamps then it's easy but everyone differs in their level of confidence / skill :)

but yep you're not going to ruin your engine and cause a nuclear holocaust haha

133_Ads":18leqxz6 said:
My mistake! :) maggis old filter then! Made a racket!

Did you keep it with all the pipes? I cut the silicone feed bit by bit until it resonated as I wanted it. That noise sent a chill down my spine in 2nd from low revs right up to the green light. Not that I think my new car doesn't make a good noise too, now that's got a ktec induction kit

Yeah attached all the pipes it sounded ridiculous under heavy load, got addictive and fuel consuming :L

Hehe got to love low RPM BMC CDA rumble :D does the apollo sound the same or sorth close to it post some vids of it (also this vid is in combination with an exhaust system of mine) it really screams at the last 600 high RPM's till around 7000 :D

[youtube]-13tuJBA8R0[/youtube]