To Wrap or not to Wrap...that is the Question.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmatt

Reaction score
So, as a few of you know, I'm getting my new exhaust custom made at the end of the month :twisted:

However, I am losing a couple of boxes so would I get any benefit from Scavenging using Exhaust Heat Wrap.

I've heard loads about the usage to decrease underbonnet temps from wrapped manifolds etc but not really much from the scavenging side of things...

Is it worth doing?

Cheers
Matt

each to there own really, i always wrap my mani's, downpipes and then normally end up doing the whole system! :roll:
but then i think all that weight for a microscopic reward (if any) :roll:

some of the stuff stinks for the first month or so and iv found that when i have wrapped a whole system it tends to "pick up" or get stainned by stuff which can also cause some funny smells or smoke/steam!!

are you going to be removing all of the heatsheilds??
if you are then there are certain bits u should prob wrap.Also it can keep your nice new system shiny :cool:

Cheers for the Headsup :)

I suppose it is just for a wee kinda..Racy touch I guess.
My mate has a Wrapped manifold on his DC2 and it looks the Muts Nuts :D

I wouldn't wrap the Manifold, too much of a ***** to get to but I've got a different option for reducing underbonnet temps.

But yes, the rest of the system would be wrapped.
And if I'm heat wrapping it, odds are, I'll remove the OE Heat shields (maybe with the exception of the Fuel tank shield).

ceramic coating is supposed to be the way forwards for high temp heat insulation.

The performance increase from better scavenging with a lagged system is likely to be slight. Drawbacks of the funky smells and the bits under the floor pan possibly needing replacement as it ages and starts to fall off, meant i didn't bother

singlespeed":2od3lfam said:
ceramic coating is supposed to be the way forwards for high temp heat insulation

+1 but its not cheap!!
i got my headers and downpipes ceramic coated but i nearly collapsed when i got the bill :shock: :shock:

renault mani's are a bi*ch to wrap!!!
fuel tank area, under the handbrake area etc etc would be good places to wrap if you are doing away with the heatsheilds.
are you going decat and no boxes??

TURBO":1wetj70z said:
+1 but its not cheap!!
i got my headers and downpipes ceramic coated but i nearly collapsed when i got the bill :shock: :shock:

fuel tank area, under the handbrake area etc etc would be good places to wrap if you are doing away with the heatsheilds.
are you going decat and no boxes??

Anywhere near Brake/Fuel lines would be wrapped yes.

Not de-catted but that's all I'm saying other than, my backbox cost more than getting the entire system made up! :lol:
You'll have to wait and see :twisted:

My mate's Teg didn't use Tiewraps for the Wrap, the previous owner used Jubilee Clips. Pretty good Idea, never seen it before :ugeek:

I used to work in Airwaves Racing touring car team and the only thing we wrapped on the Focus was the manifold cause thats the only thing that really conducts the heat. But to be fair we cleaned and maintained the whole underside of the car after every event. I personally wouldn't bother doing the entire system unless there is anywhere without heat shield.
I imagine the steam from an entire wrapped system would be insane, used to look like the engine bay was on fire just from the manifold being wrapped lol.

iv found one of the best things are cv boot band clips, they hold well and are easy to thread thro ;)

i've wrapped the system on two of my previous cars. Even with lots of ss tywraps, the bits under the vehicle, subject to all the crap thrown up frpm the wheels, the wrap doesn't last, as the cloth started looking very second hand after a winter

Theres sprays around now, which are supposed to protect the wrap, but i haven't tried any

I almost bought a large roll on Saturday but decided against it as I didn't feel it would make enough difference.

I'll watch this thread though as if it does seem to help ill be straight under the car!

It's a 133 RS! It won't make a difference! Flat out after 20 mins of driving you may see a 0.1% increase in efficiency but you've got to ask yourself; is it really worth the hassle?

I was more inclined to wrap my stainless intake pipes as they get stupidly hot. Exhaust would just be leftover wrap

mine fully wrapped, including sports cat which i just cant seem to destory lol. major pain in the arse for mine let alone the stock manifold. my main reason was to combat the larger bore size and living by the beach as sand just blastes my car daily.
matt, wrap intakes in gold reflective tape, would do the job a lot better but their still as pricy