Trying to get insured on a second car

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubz

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to get insured on the family 2002 Land Rover Freelander but I can't seem to get be put on as an additional driver until I'm 21 and then the excess goes up to £1000 and an £800 increase on the premium.

But I can insure the same car myself for £690 with £350 excess with the same 4 people on the insurance.

How does that work?

That's very odd, I managed to get insured on my mum's Nissan Qashqai and it was only gonna cost her and extra tenner a month, think it's worth has been proved already the amount of times she's made me pick her up or go to the shops for her in it lol.

Have you tried phoning them to explain this? Someone in a call centre in front of a computer might be able to do some tweaking

funky_d":2q9kdv90 said:
That's very odd, I managed to get insured on my mum's Nissan Qashqai and it was only gonna cost her and extra tenner a month, think it's worth has been proved already the amount of times she's made me pick her up or go to the shops for her in it lol.

Have you tried phoning them to explain this? Someone in a call centre in front of a computer might be able to do some tweaking

the girl on the other end of the phone when something similar happened to me took the quote down by 17% so they must have certain paramaters they can use to tweak prices if pressured ?

oscar":7sysaz5i said:
funky_d":7sysaz5i said:

the girl on the other end of the phone when something similar happened to me took the quote down by 17% so they must have certain paramaters they can use to tweak prices if pressured ?

I think if you get put through to some sort of retentions department with most insurers then I'm certain they can pull a few strings just to keep your business (if you threaten to leave). I was explicitly told that my current insurer were unable to cover me on my new car when it comes until I was 21 but I was told to speak with that department before cancelling anyway...

My dads the current policy holder with 20+ years of driving and 20 years of NCB and he's rang 14 different insurers and he's very good a haggling but none could put me on without a ridiculous change in the premium and excess.

It's just very strange how I managed to put everyone on with me as the policy holder for honestly not much more than he's paying already. The freelander is £550 with £200 excess with everyone on it in the family apart from me (the youngest).

Very strange :/ I do kind of need to be put on it for the amount of labour work I do when I'm home so I can put all my tools and stuff in it rather than in my twingo which bottoms out when I put my stuff in it.

Dubz":2gz64o84 said:
My dads the current policy holder with 20+ years of driving and 20 years of NCB and he's rang 14 different insurers and he's very good a haggling but none could put me on without a ridiculous change in the premium and excess.

It's just very strange how I managed to put everyone on with me as the policy holder for honestly not much more than he's paying already. The freelander is £550 with £200 excess with everyone on it in the family apart from me (the youngest).

Very strange :/ I do kind of need to be put on it for the amount of labour work I do when I'm home so I can put all my tools and stuff in it rather than in my twingo which bottoms out when I put my stuff in it.

in regards to the first part you spoke about dubz, insurance is calculated on the highest risk which is you so wether or not you put your dad or mother as main driver or second driver it is still calculated on you. also your fathers 20yrs NCB is on his policy and you can't use it on your policy. he'd need to transfer it over, and then have his current policy recalculated on his car with 0yrs ncb for that to work thats all i know, i only ever heard that from a guy who worked in a local insurance brokers when he done my first insurance for me when we asked about putting mum on he told me all of the above. mg zr 1.4 for 2.5 k a year third party aged 17 lol, depressing really

I work as a customer rep in a pretty well known insurance company, and like oscar said, the premium is calculated on the highest risk driver, which i assume is yourself? It's not your insurer being over priced, it's just the way it works. You could do a quote online for the cheapest car possible and you'd notice the same!

The reason your seeing such a high price is because your what insurers call 'fronting the policy', so your getting charged an over priced premium. Best thing for you to do is just set up a new policy with yourself as the policy holder. Most insurers will happily write off any cancellation fees if you set up the new policy with them. Until your 21 your age is going to be the main factor in these cases.

Oh.. first post btw =D