Twing0joe's 133 Progress HELP!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twingojoe

Reaction score
Thought i'd whack up a thread to keep an eye on my slow progress!

Anyways im now the proud owner of a full fat 133 in capsi red, full fat because after test driving some cups i decided with having a baby and after owning cars with some stiff suspension on my local roads the cup was just too harsh for too little gain in performance, also with summer approaching air con is a must!

Well a little about me:

Im 28 and an ex soldier done 2 tours of afghanistan pretty hairy stuff had the most exciting time of my life way back in 2007 when there was still a decent fight to be had with the taliban and not all this IED krap you get nowadays. Learnt a lot about the world and grew up a tiny bit lol
Second tour was very different i won't go into it but didn't enjoy it so much i was a bit miffed that old terry taliban hadn't given up and i had to lose another 6 months of my life but i vowed with all the buggering about and anal BS before the tour i was going to leave the army because i wanted to genuinly grow up (big mistake dont do it) and actually get out there and do some tracks and have a good time doing so..

Shortly after i got back i started modding my saxo i'd owned since the 2007 tour made a lot of mistakes and paid £3000 for a rebuilt engine that ended up costing me more and more to sort out. BUT things did come good i ended up doing this....

IMG_1770.jpg

and some of this:

5477907891_cb6c242e51_b.jpg

Here's a quick video of the vts in action against an M3 CSL at Brands Hatch

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IWfb2o07w

To this date its the best most fun car i've owned more a rally car than a track car in the way it handled i loved it and miss it so much!

So why get rid??

Well i was looking into getting a 200 cup but after leaving the army i struggled a little for work/cash and as soon as i became more settled a loud burping pooing thing made an appearance in an ultrasound scan! Cue getting rid of the saxo and replacing it with a cheap economical 106 runaround with 5 doors.

After suffering with such a dreadful car (they aren't actually that bad 106's handling even on a boggo one is amazing just so slow) i pestered the missus for months saying i needed something else Clio was just too expensive after taking in all the running costs/loan for it etc etc

So decided on something like a swift or a twingo.

Swift would not accept baby's buggy...Twingo would! So much buggering about looking for a Twingo getting pissed around with on the price of a car at TOOMEY RENAULT BASILDON one came up in Birmingham £6500 low miles 59 Reg etc etc

Didn't even test drive it literally turned up looked it over and rushed to the post office to get tax before they closed in 15mins!

About a month or so later im happy with the car. Economical. Practical ( had 2 cats, a baby, a buggy, my missus, baby bags, missus stuff and me all in the car) and great fun. Still haven't had a chance to really really test the car to see its limits but it feels good. Very stable car not like the saxo which was tail happy at any oppurtunity.

Pictures to come!

Tis a great car! I was initially impressed with the exhaust and induction noise and even more so with the bung removed!

Chasing the redline in this car is just too much fun. First few times i was literally pissing myself with laughter inside the car haha!

What it does need on top of the shift indicator is the little audible beep you get in the clio now that would be good!

I can't wait till little boy is a bit more grown up and the car is paid off in full, then the real fun will start. Won't be going as hardcore as Yotah's but buckets and harnesses are a must as is some decent suspension.

The exhaust tone on my silverstone, is awsome! I havnt taken the bung out, I did on my old red rs, but I decided against it this time. I have a green panel filter in though. Well worth the £50!

Welcome :D great looking saxo you had there!

the only similarity between our twingo's is the "59" bit ! :D

Your street looks similar to mine though :D

I've got so many pics of that car and really need to get some of the Twingo but im discovering my love of cars does not go hand in hand with a demanding missus and child lol

I have found the perfect road for when i do eventually get time to get some decent pics though :D

haha! unfortunately i dont live there anymore :( the house is now in the middle of nowhere, had to move for work! booooo!

there will be plenty of sunny weekends to get some good pics of the twingo! must get some crafty pictures of mine ... got to try some techniques to make it look sporty.... one wheel in a ditch to lower the rest ! lol

Ive noticed the drivers side tyre is more worn than the passengers which is odd as it should be the other way round? Maybe renauly switched them over at the previous owners last service?

Regarding warranty the car is still under it so could i take it into renault to get checked over and not have to pay?

Hmm, seems odd to have uneven wear. The tyres themselves are not covered by the warranty, but the cause of the wear might be :).

Went out for a drive in the wet which was awesome although treating my locality like the ring isnt a great idea lol

Had to cancel booking it in with rhe dealer so while it gets warm the brake alarm keeps coming on which is rather annoying!
Need to get that fixed asap while its in warranty and actually get some pics up perhaps some vids even :)

So picked up a friend from town centre and lo and behold my twingo decides to hit the limiter constantly all by itself!!! Turned engine off and restarted and still revving its nuts off!! Tried again and back to normal dont know if this is a seperaylte fault as the stop warning on dash and brake light or another fault entirely but miffed off doesnt cover it so straight in to renault tomorrow i think and im going to demand an rs clio as courtesy lol

sounds like a seperate fault. Slightly low brake fluid level being the likely cause of the stop light, so hopefully just doing as intended not a fault.

Just a thought, but. Fly by wire throttles need closed loop feedback to work, where you make a throttle demand and then the throttle opens to the required point... Once at that point, it should stop opening as the input equals the output.

If one of the signals fails, the throttle may continue opening as it doesn't have a reference to compare against.

Good point, logical and quiet possible be interesting if Renault Technicians would think like that or if it would show on a diagnostics test :/

with it unplugged, the throttle should spring closed, so it is being actively driven open for some reason. If the fault was logged, it could be read but if it didn't register a fault code and it's now back to normal, it could be hard to point the finger at the ofending item

I did think it could be the throttle body getting stuck but god knows hopefully they dont take all week to fix it!

So the problems are all fixed.
Seems the tire wear is down to aligment being slightly out been remedied but as Renault don't have a laser alignment its not going to be perfect...

The annoying beeping tuned out to be the brake fluid being low which is annoying as it was on the max mark but not up to the lip when you open the bottle.

The sticky throttle embarassingly is most likely the pedal getting stuck on the carpet. Cheap krappy things need some RS ones methinks..

anyway a picture at last!

555703_10150843911973619_592778618_11565361_994470090_n.jpg

I actually prefer them now to the cup alloys as they dont look so flat and it probably actually makes the car handle better than ifbit was on cup wheels plus tyrea will be cheaper so win win as a set of fronts usually last me 6-12 months on the road and i think all of the problems i have ever had with cars are down to me killing them lol