Twingo 133 vs Clio 200 (the non turbo one)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titicaca

Reaction score
I have had a Twingo Gordini 133 (non cup) for two and half years and really loved it. Recently I had the opportunity to buy a 2011 Clio 200 Gordini (non cup) which I thought would be an excellent replacement for the 133. I was hoping it would have all of the twingo's character with better motorway manners and being generally better all round.

Now that I have the 200 I am a bit disappointed. Whilst it feels like a much better car quality wise (in a VW kind of way) and is more comfortable and quieter on the motorway, it does not feel to have the fun loving character of the 133.

The 200 actually feels slower to pick up in town and seems to have less torque at low revs (it is definitely quicker when it picks up, but way pass the speed limit). I have read online that the 200 lacks torque low down, but I just thought it would be similar to the 133. I have never read any comparison between the way a 133 drives when compared to the 200, other then they both have good reviews independently.

I am getting the 200 a service tomorrow which may sort it. But in the mean time, had anyone driven a 133 and 200 side to side and had similar feelings?

I am just quite glad I have not traded the 133 in, as at the current rate I may just keep it.

Can't beat a 133 for what it is, every time I get in to a diffrent car it just feels cumbersome & just plain boring, I really wouldn't know what car I'd get next, I'm keeping mine as long as possible, really thought a 200 would be a step up tbh maybe you just need to get used to it it's nether gonna be as agile as a 133 though and the go kart feel.

The only thing that has come close to the RS 133 that I've found is the 595 Abarth Competizione version - well specc'd and quick in a straight line 180bhp ...£24k new! But when I got back in the RS133 I realised how well the Cup Twingo handles; it's still so much better than the 595 Abarth around corners.

The older 200 is defo a nice car to drive also, but I love the 133 go kart feel too much, and the fuel economy / tax/ insurance on the Twingo.

I think you guys are absolutely right.

I am now getting a bit more used to the 200, but it still feels a bit like a luxury car with good performance, where as the 133 feels very much like a big go kart. In fact another car the 133 reminds me of a bit is the original mini.

What I am amazed is just how different these two are. Initially I thought the 200 would be better than the 133 and would be the perfect upgrade, but now my conclusion is that they are not comparable at all. Makes me really appreciate how good the 133 really is.

Yes , you're right, they are very different cars. I think a lot of it is to do with the sensation of speed. The Twingo with a cup chasss feels it's going so much faster than t actually is, being low down you feel every bump and you have to work the gearbox so perhaps it's more engaging. You can enjoy the car without breaking the speed limit.

Whereas the Clio 200 has more power but is more refined (relatively speaking) it's a much, much faster car but to get the same engagement in the 200 you have to again really drive it; which would be well over the speed limit!

I drove the newer EDC RS 200 Clio, and again lovely car and quick, but I hate to say it, it bored me to tears.

It's the refinement that is deceiving you... The 133 feels raw and "alive" because you've got no sound deadening, an engine which likes to rev (although so has the 200) and also because your probably more used to the Twingo.

What you need is to give it more time, do a few weekend long drives around lanes/country if your near anything like that or even a track day.

I got rid of my 133 and got a Megane 225 - and tbh it really wasn't for me so now I have a modified late 172 (197 cams, yozza exhaust, de-cat, custom ecu, h&r coilovers etc) it is a great middle ground, and for anyone looking for a step up from the Twingo then the 172/182 fits the bill perhaps a little better than the 197/200 does as it is not as refined and feels very similar to the Twingo (same chassis).

The mrs has a 197 (basically the same as a 200) which is great fun, and can seem "tame" however in the Twingo when I used to be driving it hard in the 197 she was barely pushing it in terms of how it was being driven. As rightly said, you can't really compare the 133 and 200 as they are very different cars and are appealing to almost two separate markets.

Yes oVerboost are absolutely right. We went away over Christmas in the Clio, including driving around some winding roads in Wales, and decided we have now really got used to the Clio. The engine although is quieter than the twingo sounds a bit like a world war two plane when you rev it which is quite fantastic, and it now does feel faster as we learn to drive it harder. The Clio had a full service before Christmas at Birchdown (where the service is excellent and highly recommended) and it is in great health. It was hardly ever used and only has 4k on the clock, so really looking forward to give it some exercise in the new year. We have decided to sell the Twingo, will be really sad to see it go as we really had lots of fond memories of it, going to Scotland twice and Wales many times, overall one of the best cars we have had. But at least I am fairly confident in the years to come we will not regret selling the Twingo.