Twingo engine sounding tappy.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna44

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 133 cup now has about 1900 miles on, I've run it in properly on v-power, warmed it up properly before giving it some even waited till about 1300 miles for it's first red-line.

The engine however, when just cruising sounds rather tappy to me, is this a general Twingo 1.6 trait or something to call the dealer about and potentially get looked at/sorted?

Cheers guys!

Depends HOW tappety...

I've always found mine to be a bit tappety, think it's a VVT trait in general to be honest.
The Swift and Ignis Mi15/Mi16As are both tappety as hell from the minute they roll off the line.
MG/Rover VVC Units were always tappety too.

I'd get it checked just incase, if not...worst case scenario: Engine goes bang, Car goes back, Fixed Under Warranty, Run it in Again.

madmatt":1rj4tuxc said:
Depends HOW tappety...

I've always found mine to be a bit tappety, think it's a VVT trait in general to be honest.
The Swift and Ignis Mi15/Mi16As are both tappety as hell from the minute they roll off the line.
MG/Rover VVC Units were always tappety too.

I'd get it checked just incase, if not...worst case scenario: Engine goes bang, Car goes back, Fixed Under Warranty, Run it in Again.

It isn't VERY tappety, under acceleration it sounds fine, idle sounds ok as well, its only when cruising through 30mph zones in 4th for example when you get to hear that tell tale tapping. Think I might give the garage a call/visit tomorrow, ask if its worth a look.

I'm just being as cautious as possible tbh, my previous Clio 1.2 16v got very tappy towards it's trade in and didn't sound too happy. Just keen for a brand new car not to go the same way.

I've found all my renaults to be the same to be honest. It does sound ordinary but then again none of us can hear exactly what yours sounds like.

It may be worth getting it checked even just to put your mind to rest but as mentioned above, warranty would sort you out IF anything did happen to go wrong.

On all the Renaults ive owned they have all had a slight tap to them. Also all the Renaults i have heard have the same. But like Matt said we havent heard how tappy yours is but if its just slight then i would say its part of the car. If its really loud and bad id take it back to the dealer.

It might sound daft but have you checked the oil before you go to the dealer?

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Also good to put my mind at ease that most of them should sound as described. Now that I have the time to, I may still give the dealer a ring, see what they advise.

Thanks again.

My Twingo was exactly as you described, ran absolutely fine for 3 years I really wouldn't worry.

My Clio also has the slight tappety sound when cruising at 30 in a high gear. Can only hear it with the windows wide open though.

Bit of a hijack, i heard a tappy noise earlier today got out and my wheel had started unscrewing?! had them off at the weekend to do the calipers, but put them on as tight as i could. done them up tight again all four... any thing i can do about that? bit worrying :lol:

Took them on, put them back.. thats all i new to do :p

Whats this torquing business :?:

basicly you would use a troque wrench to tighten up a bolt to its near/max tightness you set the torque wrench it to a specific torque so you dont over tight the nut and sheer of the thread or snap the head off :) so the bolts would be set at there spicific tightness and all the same tightness :D

:lol: i used the little black thing for changing the wheel from the spare wheel in the boot :lol:

:lol: i find you dont get enought leaverage with them lol i allways use a torque wrench :D

dont even know what torque is! if i do it really tight will it be ok? or do i need to go see a mechanic?

Torque wrenches are a big help, not essential, but knowing the bolts are done up at the proper tightness without stretching the threads/snapping them is a big plus imo.

Did you make sure you tightened them in opposites as well to make sure they sit properly? :).