twingo for under 3k? Worth it?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob_McLav":j0ng1dvt said:
The 133 is an all round better car, I just mentioned the gt incase u never considered it as im guessing it would be Easyer to live with. My car is the cup (no luxuries at all) and I love it. And if u don't mind sitting at 3.5k revs at 70 on motorway you can't fault them, and the handling is awesome!

Id probably go for the cup full fat model, just as id use them all!

I really need to see one compared to a gt to see the difference! Anyone got one round the liverpool area i could come look at?

And the gt 1.2 turbo has come to mind, its cheaper overall but i know if i bought that id be abit gutted i didnt get the 133.

What are these like compared to a 182?

I`ve had a couple of 172`s. A phase 1 and a phase 2. The phase 1 just came as it was, no cup option. The phase 2 came in cup or full fat version. I had the full fat version and owned it for 8 years. Stunning cars and I upset a lot of people in more expensive cars who looked down their noses at me and said, oh dear, you own a Clio. I think the 172 and 182 are the best Clio`s to get and that`s why when I changed my phase 2, I got the Twingo RS. It reminded me so much of the Clio. Small, nippy and very agile. You could pick one up easily for the money you are looking to pay, just depends on insurance.

charlie46":104xl3nl said:
I`ve had a couple of 172`s. A phase 1 and a phase 2. The phase 1 just came as it was, no cup option. The phase 2 came in cup or full fat version. I had the full fat version and owned it for 8 years. Stunning cars and I upset a lot of people in more expensive cars who looked down their noses at me and said, oh dear, you own a Clio. I think the 172 and 182 are the best Clio`s to get and that`s why when I changed my phase 2, I got the Twingo RS. It reminded me so much of the Clio. Small, nippy and very agile. You could pick one up easily for the money you are looking to pay, just depends on insurance.

Pick up a 172?

How do they compare for you?

Could you link me a good example to have a look at please?

The 172 is slightly quicker than the Twingo but that`s because the Clio is a 2 ltr and the Twingo is a 1.6 but to be honest, it`s not enough to bother about. I feel the ride is better on the Twingo and I own the cup version. It`s more solid in feel whereas the Clio felt a bit softer. Both are exceptional handling wise and whichever one you choose, you won`t be disappointed! If you look at a Clio, check for any rust as they are now getting older and make sure it`s had the belts done and they have paperwork to prove so. As I say, the phase 2 I had was in my ownership for eight years and yes I do look after my cars but I couldn`t fault it! Check websites such as pistonheads, motors .co.uk and have a look on Ebay. One I found on ebay for you to compare was same as mine and the item number is 251760453578. Doesn`t look bad from pics, good milage for age and price, all panels from pics appear to match in colour and looks tidy inside. Also has retained original style exhaust which is hidden behind bumper. Usually people chop the rear bumper about and have a massive tail pipe sticking out the back. With any car though, you mustn`t take a chance and you should always go and have a look before you commit!

charlie46":x0csyyml said:
The 172 is slightly quicker than the Twingo but that`s because the Clio is a 2 ltr and the Twingo is a 1.6 but to be honest, it`s not enough to bother about. I feel the ride is better on the Twingo and I own the cup version. It`s more solid in feel whereas the Clio felt a bit softer. Both are exceptional handling wise and whichever one you choose, you won`t be disappointed! If you look at a Clio, check for any rust as they are now getting older and make sure it`s had the belts done and they have paperwork to prove so. As I say, the phase 2 I had was in my ownership for eight years and yes I do look after my cars but I couldn`t fault it! Check websites such as pistonheads, motors .co.uk and have a look on Ebay. One I found on ebay for you to compare was same as mine and the item number is 251760453578. Doesn`t look bad from pics, good milage for age and price, all panels from pics appear to match in colour and looks tidy inside. Also has retained original style exhaust which is hidden behind bumper. Usually people chop the rear bumper about and have a massive tail pipe sticking out the back. With any car though, you mustn`t take a chance and you should always go and have a look before you commit!

Thats a very nice example, and for 2000 im sure i could knock abit off.

Although i do like the look of the twingo, whats the quality like compared to the 172 inside?

Also worth having a look at ebay items 291338012737 (cup chassis), 281532071373 (non cup chassis). They are both 182`s and gives you the chance to see difference. Inside, the Twingo does have a more plastic feel to the dash and door cards compared to the 172/182 but to be honest, if you look at VW or Ford etc, the performance that you get and the price you pay for a Renaultsport makes them excellent value.

And if three grand can`t get you a good Twingo, the money you save on a Clio can help with insurance.

The actual seats should go in but not sure about the base frame. The twingo seats are ok. Clio one`s are a mix of alcantara and leather and the alcantara does go bobbly. You could always get Twingo ones re covered.

charlie46":1yyw8uoy said:
The actual seats should go in but not sure about the base frame. The twingo seats are ok. Clio one`s are a mix of alcantara and leather and the alcantara does go bobbly. You could always get Twingo ones re covered.

Ahh i see, i do like the look of the 182 seats with the half and half, where abouts would i be able to get them recovered? never really thought about that!

also the 225 seats from the megane,

Regarding the back seats does it make that much difference with the 2 larger seats or the 3 cut outs? just as again i prefer the 172 back seats

Again, Megane`s seats should fit but it will be the frame that will be the issue. I would have a look on the net for auto upholsterers near you. With the rear seats, Clio`s don`t go down flat, they still stick up a bit and Twingo`s fold up and go up against the back of the front seats

charlie46":39nqhf0i said:
Again, Megane`s seats should fit but it will be the frame that will be the issue. I would have a look on the net for auto upholsterers near you. With the rear seats, Clio`s don`t go down flat, they still stick up a bit and Twingo`s fold up and go up against the back of the front seats

Ahh i see, so it would be more beneficial to get them all upholstered, is the support on the front seats any different from any of the other Renault sports seats?

Thats probably the best way to get what i want!

Ive heard mixed things about the size of person who can fit in the car, with people around 6ft struggling but then seeing reviews (topgear) of which much bigger people are in the car?

If you take a look at the post seats in General Renaultsport Twingo section on this forum, one of the owners is looking to fit Recaro`s like are in the Clio 197/200. Couple of owners have done it but frames needed cutting and welding to enable them to fit. Must admit though that they really suit The shape of the Twingo. As for size, Jezza seemed comfortable in the Top Gear episode that they did on it.

What I would do if I was you is have a look round and find a clio for sale in your area and a Twingo. Even if they are not Renaultsport models, seating position etc will be the same. Then see which one feels more suited to you. I will say one thing, When I first sat in a Twingo RS in the showroom, I wanted one! But then I`d had the Clio for 8 years and just fancied a change and with the Clio 197/200 being a bigger and heavier car, the Twingo was like the Clio when I first got it, a small, cheeky hot hatch that you know will upset the odds and make you smile each time you see it. Whichever, they are both great cars!

I think the twingo is definitely the way to go, just have to get one and hope i can make it my own!

Are there many other performance parts companies such as ktec? The added performance seems reasonable id love to just mildly add to it and have 140-150 with the extra torque.

The car seems like such a bargain at the prices they are, are there many large bills needed every set amount of miles?

My car has only had one service as yet and I can`t remember the price but it wasn`t expensive, so can`t tell you regarding higher milage bills for the Twingo. There was a guy who came on the forum recently was starting up do performance upgrades. Forget what section it was under now but if I find it, I`ll let you know.

Just found it. It`s on the introduce yourself section, page 1 and he`s sptuning.

You're welcome. You'll love owning one! Take care and hopefully see some pics of your car on here soon!