Twingo RS and Clio 2 Chassis Similarities / Differences

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Casey

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

First post, so please be kind...

I've got a Clio 1.6 16V and a 172 Ph2 and am looking at OE chassis upgrades for the 1.6, having added 172 Cup and 182 Cup parts to the 172 with good results. I've got some spare 172 parts that I've fitted to the rear but thought I'd ask if the Twingo shares any chassis parts with the Clio 2 - importantly spring and shock design. I've had a quick search and thought I'd ask too.

I have ascertained that 182 Cup parts will fit the 1.6 but always like to know what options there are.

Also, does anyone know the spring rates of the Twingo & Cup Chassis springs?

Many thanks, Andy

best bet will be to contact renault for spring rates on the cup chassis. usually, this will be indicated by the colours marked on the springs and each manufacturer uses a different colour system. when you refer to chassis exactly what are you referring too? your best friend will be cross referencing. suspension for example on renaults upto the 182 / 133 / twingo gt / 172 + cups all share the same suspension top mounts, suspension bolt spacing can determine wether or not your car will share the same suspension as another car. other things to look into is anti roll bar bushing diameters, ARB thickness etc. cross reference your cars specification for certain car parts, with 172 and 182 cup parts and if the dimensions etc match up then you're good to go. the GT shares an entire braking assembly with the clio williams for example, but ARB bushings and torsion beam sizes differ

Cheers for the reply. From the pics I've seen of rear springs, I did wonder if they were a similar design.

By chassis, I mean suspension type, springs, dampers, ARBs, bushes, hubs, brakes etc.

Is the Twingo a MacPherson strut design up front, like the Clio 2, or is it like the more advanced Clio 3 sport design with a the steering separated from the strut (Focus RS & Megane share similar designs) to reduce torque steer?

Bolt spacing is a bit of a minefield at first but I know that the 172 is a 54mm M12 and the 1.6 is 58mm M10, meaning that the 182 Cup dampers will fit.

As the Twingo chassis setup is well respected, I thought I'd see what it was fitted with, just in case anything was usable.

Cheers

if the 1.6 is 58mm, then you will share the same strut as 1.2 / 1.4 mark 2 / 3 clios and the twingo GT (thats the turbo 1.2 twingo). again, i'v got to be honest mate the 1.2 clio feels so soft compared to the hard ride in the twingo GT so the spring rates are different there and deffinately will be something much softer rate wise in the 1.2 / 1.4 clios. i'm sure the twingo 133 has a macpherson strut with a slightly better wishbone set up. twingo 133 shares the same hub near enough as a clio 172, shares the same discs at 280mm fronts and any other renaults. i can't remember the 133's bolt spacing but i know it shares the same as one of the 1*2 clio's.

twingo chassis is better than clio2 one

so don't need part from the clio

buit you can adapt some performance part for clio2 to the twingo

we have an old 1.2 16v Clio Dynamique that's too good a car to sell on so we just keep it for when any of the other cars are getting serviced or off the road and it failed its mot on a snapped spring and leaking rear damper last year so I stuck a set of twingo GT springs and dampers on it what a difference! stiffened it up nicely without making it overly harsh, I believe its 15% stiffer than non GT/clio non RS suspension

Andy_Casey":1in24v9h said:
Bolt spacing is a bit of a minefield at first but I know that the 172 is a 54mm M12 and the 1.6 is 58mm M10, meaningthat the 182 Cup dampers will fit[.

As the Twingo chassis setup is well respected, I thought I'd see what it was fitted with, just in case anything was usable.

Cheers
The RS133 has a front spacing of 60mm with 14mm diameter bolt holes, which is the same as Clio 182 Cup/Trophy.

Ive been looking into front roll center adjuster options for the front hubs/uprights.
I still need to measure up to confirm, but it looks like the 133 has uprights and wishbones which place the pivot points somewhere close to the position acheived by using an adjuster pin on the 1*2 and Clio Cup Racers :) The hub is a much stronger design, even before adding an adjuster Iinto the mix, with the only drawback being balljoint avaliability.

Leaves me scratching my head to improve on it as I think the clio kit will clash with the 15" wheels :(