Twingo RS - - fuel/running costs.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordi

Reaction score
Hello - first post on this forum. :cool:

Basically I was looking to get a Clio 182 again after previously owning one, however I have always liked the Twingo RS 133, plus they are newer with less mileage on (I current have an 09 plate Polo so won't be such a age difference). So, I was just wondering what the running costs are liked compared to the 182? I am looking at an extra 2k to buy the Twingo, but doing 80 miles a day, I wanted to know whether the fuel costs will be much cheaper? I am after a fun car, which is nippy but not cost too much to run. If you guys could let me know a) How much to fill the tank (from low/petrol light being on), and b) How far on average will you get on said tank, with mixture of town/dual carriageway driving?

Obviously the tyres are 17's so bigger, but the tax is slightly cheaper, how about servicing and brakes etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

on motorways the twingo is quite efficient, 35 - 40 mpg (300+ ish miles to a tank) however i drive mine around town/ london and with the lots of stop starting it lucky to get more like 25-30 and that is with a light foot (200 miles to a tank)

so it really depends on the driving that you will be doing

Welcome to the forum :)

They have a 40 litre fuel tank, most people get from their 133's is around 300 miles to a whole tank maybe more or less. Brakes and pads (whole car) are around £280 mark from Renault however you can get same quality brakes and pads for cheaper. I believe the services are around £250 (could be wrong on that)

That's about as much as I can help you from a non-RS owner :p

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

So 40 litre tank is about what my Polo is, so I guess a fill up to cost roughly £55?

From my experience about 40mpg is fairly easily achievable for mixed driving for getting towards ~350 miles a tank. Mid to high £50s for a brimmed full tank sounds about right too.

You'll also have to balance insurance prices - the 133 is in a much lower group than the 182s

Yeah, although funnily enough the 182 is only about £70 more expensive than my current Polo. So I'm not sure how much difference it would be between the 133 and 182.

I used to own a 1.6ltr Fiesta ZS which used to get me 260/270 miles from a full tank which cost no more than £45, due to the smaller tank.

Knocked the 197 on the head, as i've heard the mpg isnt as good as the 182, plus will be more to maintain.

I've had a 172 and a 200 honestly the fuel difference just isn't much difference for me. Main thing is insurance thats a huge few hundred pounds cheaper for me than the clios. Also the fuel tank seems smaller on the twingo so it might seem i'm constantly filling it up more.

Hope that helps.

Bristol Street in Altrincham are doing my 2yr/12500 service for £200; I just noticed their website claims 20% off manufacturer service prices so was going to ask about it but
Dubz":1o7b6wf2 said:
I believe the services are around £250 (could be wrong on that)
so it seems about right. Hopefully I don't get 20% less service!

I used to be well pleased with the economy but it's been shocking recently - not much more than 200 out of a tank of V-Power (around 25mpg). Then again it's still cold, I've a 4.5 mile commute and the car is having some issues.

All depends how you drive it tbh at the end of the day it's only a 1.6 so it's not thirsty if you drive it nice :) but I find it hard to drive it nicely because it's too much fun not to haha so mine is usually more thirsty than it needs to be :/

A twingo cup can do 53 mpg (ive done it, plymouth to east kilbride in 1 tank) and I do 100 miles per day and get mid 40's with carefull driving no problem. 250 for a service is mental I just do it myself and save loads and know that I'm getting the best of parts.

Thing is, I need to weigh up whether the additional outright cost is worth it.

The trade value of my Polo is currently £4.6k, so dealers I have been enquiring to are offering straight swaps on 182s, and doing the belts, where as on Twingos priced at £6-£6.5k, I need to put 2k towards it, so if the fuel is only a small difference is it worth spending an extra 2k, or just get the older 182?! Insurance I have checked is £100 difference for the year so not a great deal.

Jordi":2uuhju4g said:
Thing is, I need to weigh up whether the additional outright cost is worth it.

The trade value of my Polo is currently £4.6k, so dealers I have been enquiring to are offering straight swaps on 182s, and doing the belts, where as on Twingos priced at £6-£6.5k, I need to put 2k towards it, so if the fuel is only a small difference is it worth spending an extra 2k, or just get the older 182?! Insurance I have checked is £100 difference for the year so not a great deal.

Twingo feels alot more updated and modern inside, my gordini is lovely inside!

Another query, am I right in thinking the cambelt is due every 72k or 5 years same as the Clio? I am looking at 58 plates, therfore they will need changing this year. Just something else to take in to consideration I guess.

Jordi":121con2y said:
Another query, am I right in thinking the cambelt is due every 72k or 5 years same as the Clio? I am looking at 58 plates, therfore they will need changing this year. Just something else to take in to consideration I guess.
rude not to... perfect opportunity for a set of cams :)

What I mean is, I am going to have to pay a big bill to get the belt done in a few months.

How much is a belt change on the RS133?

I'm not sure of the fitting prices, as I had the head swapped and cams replaced at the same time. Apparently its a very simillar job to the 1*2 belt replacement, with access being slightly limitted at the belt end.

Karl had an offer running previously on the parts
post116822.html#p116822

Replacing the dephaser pulley ~£100 at the same time may be a good idea. If it starts to knock in a months time, you would be doing the lot once again

Well I have a 172 which me and the Mrs use daily plus we also use her 133.

The Twingo is without a doubt cheaper to run in the sense of fuel and tax. The 133 must do in the region of 35mpg the Clio drops as low as 25mpg round town and that's without a lead foot. We only do in the region of 50-70 miles on average in a week and the Clio can cost £5 more in fuel than the 133.

That difference would be a lot bigger with the number of miles you'll be doing but the number of smiles won't really differ even in the less powerful Twingo. :)

Yeah - when I had my 182 it averaged 31mpg. Used to fill up every 3 days in it.