Twingo RS - Melted Leather Steering Wheel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidyellow

Reaction score
Well fair play to Renault. I took the RSTwingo (facelift) in for a service in January and explained that the leather steering wheel had ‘melted’ in the sun the previous August at 1yo and 8k miles. (…my last RSTwingo had the same problem at 40k but outside warranty).

Renault immediately agreed to replace the wheel like for like under the 4 year warranty – no quibble – not a squeak - 2 weeks later it was fitted in a 1 hour sit and wait slot.

Sadly, I have every expectation that this one will melt too, but I’ll cover it up on sunny days; if it does I will be asking for another.

For those that haven’t had the problem, the top very thin layer of leather slides ever so slightly and the holes appear blocked – normally at the 11 and 1 o’clock position. The leather then ‘rucks up’ into small ridges over the next 1k miles and then there is a touching cloth moment when you go round a corner and the leather just peels off.

As I've been told that the previous owner of my Gordini tce had a melted steering wheel at around 30k however it did live 8-10 hours a day in a tesco car park (funny enough in the exact same spot daily).

Hopefully I don't get that problem in the next 30k...

I know they're not the best looking things but get yourself a silver shade for the windscreen!
I have one in all my cars try and prevent this very problem. Stops the dash getting hot in the direct sun too. :)