Tyre Codes

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDrew

Reaction score
I've seen questions about tyre codes pop up a few times, so when I saw this on another forum I decided to pilfer it for here too.

tyresizes.gif

chart-tyre-speed-ratings.gif

load-index.jpg

Nice find :) but its still not simple :?

P-Metric (P 185...... ) tyres aren't so common in the UK and their load capacity can differ markedly from the Euro-Metric tyres which are more common and don't have a P infront or the size information

However, watch out for the load index as the loads quoted above will be the maximum load capacity at 36PSI for standard tyres (non XL). Reinforced (XL) tyres like often found on the low profile tyres on the Twingo and other cars with big rims and skinny rubber, need higher pressure to reach their maximum load capacity. With less pressure, the XL tyre will usualy be able to carry less load than the equivalent standard tyre :?

Now post the one to identify the manufacture date. Why don't they just print it as a date, rather than random rubbish. And then moan the average consumer isn't looking at how old their rubber is.

maggi112":1n94yld9 said:
Now post the one to identify the manufacture date. Why don't they just print it as a date, rather than random rubbish. And then moan the average consumer isn't looking at how old their rubber is.
Four digits, first two denoting the week of manufacture and the second two denoting the year. The numbers will be imprinted into the tyre as they are a temporary addition to the mould, unlike other markings which are raised. Only found on one side of the tyre near the Emarking or DOT markings.