Tyre pressure for 205/40/17

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPaul7

Reaction score
So what should my tyre pressure be for the tyre size 205/40/17? I have it about the same as 195/40/17 atm but I assume it should be slightly different.

Sorry if this has been asked already, I don't get on with the search function...

tells you on the tyre markings if you look close enough dan, all those fancy markings are there for a reason lol

pressure.jpg

34/36 front 32/34 rear depending on your pref

oscar":205cyjri said:
tells you on the tyre markings if you look close enough dan, all those fancy markings are there for a reason lol

(...)

That would be the max pressure though - don't think any tyre has the optimal pressure stamped on the sidewall, as it's bound to be different depending on the car, isn't it?

KamRS":3ilxcv7i said:
oscar":3ilxcv7i said:

(...)

That would be the max pressure though - don't think any tyre has the optimal pressure stamped on the sidewall, as it's bound to be different depending on the car, isn't it?

The correct tyre pressures depends on the weight of your car (including passengers and luggage so this will vary), and the size and make of tyres. You will need the following information to calculate correct PSI for any given combination:

the gross weight of vehicle
load rating of tyres at max PSI (the sidewall will have this information - something like 600kg at 44 PSI etc as i just stated above with a random example)

another random example,
545kg x 4 = 2180kg (max load)
2180 (combined max load) ÷ 1700 (vehicle weight) = 1.28
44 (max tyre PSI) ÷ 1.28 = 34.31

So you should inflate your tyres to whatever the correct calculations are for the weight of the twingo / tyre ratings.

;)

Yeah... judging by your previous posts thought you wouldn't have posted something so silly. Now all makes sense ;)

it's really difficult to find manufacturer specific pressures online, so it's best to just go by that calculation :) you can alter it to suit motorway journeys or trackdays where more / less pressure may or not be required. it can be a bit of a pain sometimes