tyre sizes

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib3tti3

Reaction score
Hi guys not sure if this have come up before but ill ask away,
My front two tyres need replacing and I want to fit 205 40 17 instead of 195 40 17, so was thinking could I put the back two on the front 195's and the new 205's on the back then put 205's on the front when they need changing, so my question is can I roll :lol: with 195 fronts. And 205 backs for abit?? cheers matt

Yep. I did. No noticeable understeer (which you might imagine). ESP didn't seem to mind it, but obviously felt more neutral with matching rubber all round

I'm now running 205s all round, and on the front there was slight rubbing when cornering hard (well I tried going around a roundabout to test faster and faster and only at about 35-40 did it start rubbing) and that stopped quite quickly.

Think I've put 195s front and 205s rear on carries ATM, although hers needs more work as its a little tired to tell the difference and she doesn't drive it hard

Ok thanks, I only really drive to work and back so should be fine!

Does changing the rear tyre width have any affect on the drive train...? My rear 195s are coming to the end of their useable life and I'm thinking about changing to 205s.. Am I clear in thinking there is so change to the cars ability in passing an MOT? Obvs insurance won't be happy.

Basically looking for pros and cons from anyone as you guys know your stuff.

Cheers, Ben.

ben - aslong as the two rear tyres (or two tyres on the same axle) are of the same sizes then it will pas an mot. you can have staggered sets front and rear but bigger front tyres promotes oversteer, bigger rear tyres promotes understeer (as there is more surface area, this promotes more drag on conering as the rear wheels do not turn in cornering)

hope this clears things up!

ben - aslong as the two rear tyres (or two tyres on the same axle) are of the same sizes then it will pas an mot. you can have staggered sets front and rear but bigger front tyres promotes oversteer, bigger rear tyres promotes understeer (as there is more surface area, this promotes more drag on conering as the rear wheels do not turn in cornering)

hope this clears things up!

bigger rear tyres than the fronts (in terms of width) on a fwd car promotes understeer due to more traction (therefore drag) on cornering. bigger front tyres promotes oversteer

Hi Oscar cheers for your reply mate appreciate it. I've seen some horror stories of bigger tyres causing problems with transmissions, gear boxes etc. As long as that shouldn't really happen ill probs go ahead with it