Uneven heights

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthias

Reaction score
Hi all!

Perhaps this is more of a psychological thing, but the more I looked at my car at the photosession the more the left and the right side seemed uneven. Therefore I measured the heights of the front arches and noticed that the car is 5 mm higher on the driver’s side than on the other. Is this a standard tweak (like Integra Type-R used to have) or is there something wrong? The tire pressure is correct for the winter tires (2,4 front, 2,1 rear). What's your opinion on that? I didn't notice any difference in the handling as well...

Thanks

get a garage to do a full geometry check for you, if there is a difference they should be able to sort it or let you know if difference is affecting the handling.
i know with aftermarket coils, sometimes each corner if set at different heights to combat corner weight but wouldnt have a clue on this one.

I see. Well I think I shouldn't be too worried about it, since the "arches job" is not the most perfect in the world and they are not put on the car with utmost care, so I think that is a couple of mm here and there. 5 mm shouldn't make any difference, but I'll have it checked in a week or so when I put on my Conti's. Then again, our roads are not the best, so perhaps there was a moment that I don't really recall when I hit a crack on the road a bit too fast and the impact could have changed my suspension settings/height.

Oh and one more thing, I know this will be an extremely stupid question, but I'm not a suspension superfreak, so I don't quite know what's right or wrong. Does the car geometry at a random (but good) workshop ruin the set up of the Cup suspension? I know it's odd, but I have to ask. A local workshop that does only wheels&tyres business is reknown throughout the country to be the best, but they don't know anything about Twingo's Cup set up, of that I'm sure. Should I still go there or should I do it at the official Renault Workshop?

before i lowered mine looking from behind the car the right side was a little higher then the left

doesnt a road have a natural camber? couldnt that be the difference with the 5mm?

That is a good point Davey. But in my cars case it was in the workshop when we relised it on mine.

Did you find out what this was? Mine is the opposite way round, the drivers side is about 5-10mm lower than the passenger. Got a feeling it's playing with the way the car feels too, I need my antiroll bar bushes doing and the drop-link connectors, but didn't think it'd make that much of a difference to the height.

scottmainwaring01":1e9r4eqk said:
Did you find out what this was? Mine is the opposite way round, the drivers side is about 5-10mm lower than the passenger. Got a feeling it's playing with the way the car feels too, I need my antiroll bar bushes doing and the drop-link connectors, but didn't think it'd make that much of a difference to the height.

only the spring will effect the ride height scott. every spring sags eventually and when you drive, naturally there is always x amount of extra weight on your side of the car (in which case, mines should be upside down by now haha), wouldn't worry about that. you're on coilovers aint you? just adjust the ride height a little bit

I noticed this when I changed over to the Bilstein's so I dialled it out using the spring height adjustment front and rear (it's about 5mm ride height difference), more importantly once done you need to have 4 wheel alignment carried out as your camber / toe angles will alter, I used camber bolts on the front and shims (From Pure Motorsport) on the rear. :cool: ;)

One thing I will say, if you looking at doing a proper job with your suspension get rid of those bottom front lower wishbone bushes they are complete crap - this only applies to GT's / standard cars as the RS is a different design, although from what I can see could be as soft :shock:

I should be taking delivery of the new top strut brace tomorrow from Pure Motorsport - I'll give more feedback once fitted, but looking forward to it being fitted.