Useless Renault

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad133

Reaction score
so my 133 has a knocking noise when going over bumps, the sound is coming from behind the dash/central, the gear stick also rocks back and forth when accelerating/de-cellerating, it's been to renault 3 times now totalling 6 1/2 days.
So far they have replaced front top mounts, track rod ends, suspension legs and today rear engine mount, yet they still haven't sorted it, they keep saying the lower arms are fine.
I have a hunch that it could be the gearbox mount but any ideas?

Thank you

perhaps the bolt has sheered in the gearbox mount. did they replace the torque link (dogbone mount) or was it the actual mount down behind the battery tray? it's those two mounts which are going to be the culprate, so whatever one hasn't been changed is going to be the one that'll need doing.

the dogbone is the one responsible for the movement of the gearbox and gear lever under acceleration. hence torque link lol :) if only some of these halfwits at renault dealerships would actually learn their trade, they'd bloody know this!

oscar":nw9vqivk said:
perhaps the bolt has sheered in the gearbox mount. did they replace the torque link (dogbone mount) or was it the actual mount down behind the battery tray? it's those two mounts which are going to be the culprate, so whatever one hasn't been changed is going to be the one that'll need doing.

the dogbone is the one responsible for the movement of the gearbox and gear lever under acceleration. hence torque link lol :) if only some of these halfwits at renault dealerships would actually learn their trade, they'd bloody know this!
Thanks for your help as always haha! Going to look at the gearbox mount in a minute, if I disconnect my battery will I need the radio code after?

Brad133":2czhsiyf said:
oscar":2czhsiyf said:

Thanks for your help as always haha! Going to look at the gearbox mount in a minute, if I disconnect my battery will I need the radio code after?
Maybe, maybe not. I've disconnected mine before and not needed it and sometimes I have. Should be on one of the owners manuals.

Chicken":llqbfysr said:
Brad133":llqbfysr said:
oscar":llqbfysr said:

Maybe, maybe not. I've disconnected mine before and not needed it and sometimes I have. Should be on one of the owners manuals.
Thank you

what are you disconnecting the battery for brad? :p and yes you'll need it. the capacitor in the ECU will last for no more than 10 minutes! chickens 133 must have been a freak of nature lol unless it was for less than 10 minutes? :D

oscar":j2y9ghqa said:
what are you disconnecting the battery for brad? :p and yes you'll need it. the capacitor in the ECU will last for no more than 10 minutes! chickens 133 must have been a freak of nature lol unless it was for less than 10 minutes? :D
So I can get under the battery tray to look at the gearbox mount

oscar":6fkcag33 said:
Was a fast battery change then lol. Really stupid one here but put jump leads on the battery to the cables if it's going to be off for more than 10 minutes?

Chicken":340jc4wd said:
oscar":340jc4wd said:
Was a fast battery change then lol. Really stupid one here but put jump leads on the battery to the cables if it's going to be off for more than 10 minutes?
I've found the code now anyway mate

:D it's like a home made radio code machine that you stick in your 12v cigarette lighter and it keeps your ecu with a power supply whilst you've got the battery of, so that your radio code doesn't get wiped!

lol brad disaster averted :D my twingo was beeping at me saying STOP intermitently on the way home there. brake fluid lol, ate superblue & new pads / discs soon *sighhh*

How much play should there be in the gearbox mount? I just looked and there a hell of a lot, good 2 inch of play

25mm max so an inch near enough, wheras a race spec mount would have 2mm play max!

is that the dealership, or renault themselves? if it's the dealership just explain to the service manager that you understand he's angry because his farts smell like semen, but this is no reason to take his erratic wrath out on your cars warranty!!!! hahahaha

They are claiming that it's my 'custom' exhaust that is knocking, cars booked in to the garage that did my exhaust next Saturday for a check over. I just want it all sorted so I can fit my lowering springs :(

only one way to find out, do you have the old exhaust? bit of a faff, stick it back in go for a drive. still persistent? then take it back in and tell them this one's from me, with love!

other option is to stick it up on axle stands and get under it, get a friend to go through the gears and do a lot of braking. you'll soon see if it's the exhaust knocking dude :)

haven't got the standard exhaust and mine is all welded up stainless cat back so would have to remove it from the downpipe :( I'm taking my mate to the garage anyway so he can have an exhaust made up for his liquid yellow r26 (sexy car)

Brad133":1noyhg8i said:
How much play should there be in the gearbox mount? I just looked and there a hell of a lot, good 2 inch of play
If your on about the upper gearbox mount under the battery tray, I can't see how that could have more than 25mm total play. I bet 10mm either side of its neutral point would be its extent of where it can bend to. However, if the pin or bottom of the mount has sheared off like has happened to a few cars now, you could move the engine about a fair bit until it hits something.

Get a phone camera down under the battery tray and get some pics. Or, take the battery and tray out for a proper look.