Wallace Performance Aberdeen

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James-Hilton

Reaction score
Has anyone from the Aberdeen area used these guys before. They tend to do a lot of work on Evo's but I'm looking to maybe get a few things done by them.

yeah james, i know matt who's a bit overly fond of mapping the north of scotlands evo population. he is fantastic at what he does too, you'd be in very very good hands if you take your 133 to them. what are you hoping to have done curiously?

the last time we were up, russ had just sold the business but pretty much everyone was / is still on board. we were doing a custom ECU on my mate tom's EVO 8 with new cams and a full custom remap, in at 8am and back down the road at 5 o'clock and to this day hasn't had any problems with the work carried out which was almost 2 years ago (2 years as of the end of march).

I'm looking into throttle bodies and getting a map with them. I've been down to K-Tec twice and I know about RS Tuning but obviously it's quite a drive from up here so was looking for somewhere a little closer. I've seen some of the Evo's they've worked on and they look awesome!

completely understand you, sack those journeys down south. you can only put up with your ipod and radio 1 for so long before you explode haha.

in fairness a good mapper can adapt to any ECU. I took my GT (hearing the eballz alarm ringing????) to extreme motorsport in whitburn who also handle nothing but big power japanese cars that you'll see frequenting the knockhill circuit monthly, and it was the first twingo they'd set their hands on. took him about 2 hours to figure out the access points into the ECU which is the tricky part and we soon got a fuller picture of what the standard ECU can do and can't do. stuck the oversized pico injectors and got 136bhp at 82% duty cycle with only an induction + exhaust modification along side. i think you'd be in good hands up there especially when they will have time to adapt to your car, which won't take long at all

James-Hilton":hcnzlw4i said:
I'm looking into throttle bodies and getting a map with them. I've been down to K-Tec twice and I know about RS Tuning but obviously it's quite a drive from up here so was looking for somewhere a little closer. I've seen some of the Evo's they've worked on and they look awesome!

Go to where Neil goes once his is mapped ;) RS tuning would be worth the journey in my eyes

waitey":6gf89nre said:
James-Hilton":6gf89nre said:

Go to where Neil goes once his is mapped ;) RS tuning would be worth the journey in my eyes

James-Hilton":6gf89nre said:
I know about RS Tuning but obviously it's quite a drive from up here so was looking for somewhere a little closer.

I suppose it depends on the ECU. With a standalone which he's used to working with, I dare say it would be OK as the map tables are easy to access and actually make sence.

Trying it with the standard ECU, I would be prepared for some trouble as I doubt he has done many Renault ECUs. The map tables are in hexadecimal format and theres no shortcut to knowing the addresses of the table you want and what values mean what.

Next Tuesday - Day trip to leeds for me. Deciding factors are, Paul has already mapped it so knows where he is starting from. The big one is, I'm having the cam timing adjusted and, with floating pulleys on Renault engines catching out seasoned spanner bashers, I'm playing it safe

So to be honest I'd probably actually save myself time and money just sending the car down to RS Tuning. I've only ever heard good things about them as well. Cheers guys.

Oh and Neil I'm really looking forward to seeing your end results!

You should have given me a call yesterday being as you were back home. It was a bit early when I passed, so I didn't stop and say hello

waitey":3ja4em9z said:
Oscar I have read this thread I'm not blind, I said it would be well worth the journey in my eyes...... Now who needs specsavers :lol:

just seems that a 3/4 length trek of the country one way is massively steep for some mapping work when if you've went through 4 years at university of engine mechanics, four stroke cycle, physics of combustion, fuel systems, air fuel ratios, ignition timing, IPW, mapping tables, ECU calibration, fi tuning, injector dynamics, flow rates, cold start mapping, compression ratio dynamics, knock calibration, VE, actuator calibration not to mention the different dynamics of mapping CI engines over SI engines ... you are somehow deemed not good enough to work on a simple renault ECU just because you may not have done a huge amount of them previously but each to their own chaps :)

i suppose there is a difference between a professional and an amateur who's taken an online / private ''course'' and people who have invested heavily in their occupation which is something i definitely appreciate. it appears paul at rs tuning in leeds puts out good work, if i lived closer i would no doubt have no issues with going there. but i suppose my point is i don't live there, really could not justify going all the way down there when there are absolutely fantastic places all around here that just work on other marques of cars. i'm actually surprised neil hasn't taken a course, in which case it'd be twingo293.net haha

personally i'd talk to the guys first, and see what they have to say instead of listening to all of us! but i can see that with neils current work, paul @ rs tuning would have a heads start on the process which would make your process much smoother james :D

oscar":ae3ebrb6 said:
waitey":ae3ebrb6 said:
Oscar I have read this thread I'm not blind, I said it would be well worth the journey in my eyes...... Now who needs specsavers :lol:

just seems that a 3/4 length trek of the country one way is massively steep for some mapping work when if you've went through 4 years at university of engine mechanics, four stroke cycle, physics of combustion, fuel systems, air fuel ratios, ignition timing, IPW, mapping tables, ECU calibration, fi tuning, injector dynamics, flow rates, cold start mapping, compression ratio dynamics, knock calibration, VE, actuator calibration not to mention the different dynamics of mapping CI engines over SI engines ... you are somehow deemed not good enough to work on a simple renault ECU just because you may not have done a huge amount of them previously but each to their own chaps :)
All well and good, but it still doesnt tell you address and table sizes for the different mapping tables within the ecu file. So, theres potential for adjusting the wrong parameters and Its not live mapping so you wont know untill a re-run.

Given a wideband and rolling road, I would have a go with the SC software and could probably get decent power from it. However, leaving it drivable like a normal car :?

i've got to say, i mean no disrespect to anyone but if you'd gone to university (good grief!) to study programming car electronics, which i believe is also a small part of motorsport courses i don't think a renault ecu would trouble you too much lol especially when you'd have to do major programming work and complicated tasks like writing the ecu software itself from scratch on an open platform. to me that seems like asking someone who's just hacked the CIA mainframe network to upgrade from microsoft office 2013 to 2014 to then tell him not to worry, if it's too tricky we will get it done elsewhere. but the end point of this all, is that there is nothing better than a good technician be it an ecu wizard or a grease monkey :D i can see why a fair few people go to paul, i haven't hear a bad story either. one or two on cs.net but they were rectified instantly. can you say any better than that really?

Thanks for the advice guys. Got a couple of months to think about it. I want to get it all finished for FCS. I'll make sure I remember to drop you text next time I'm back at my parents Neil.