Warning light

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Detail

Reaction score
When it's cold, a warning light sometimes appears for a few moments and then disappears. It only happens when going round corners and when accellerating. The warning lights are the handbrake light and the stop light. I'm thinking it might be either the handbrake sensor or brake fluid level, but both the brakes and handbrake are working fine.

Has anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: THIS WAS THE BRAKE FLUID LEVEL. SINCE TOPPING IT UP, THE WARNING LIGHTS HAVEN'T COME ON AGAIN.

dempsej":1pq02skp said:
I guess it's a red ( ! ) brake light.

Yeah, it's that one and the STOP light.

It hasn't done it today, despite it being quite cold this morning. I've just checked the brake fluid level and it looks like it might be slightly low, so that's probably the issue.

I've got some standard dot 4 brake fluid, but I've read that might not be suitable for the 133. Can someone please tell me what brake fluid I need to use?

You realy want a fluid which has a tighter spec than just DOT4.

DOT4, ISO 4925 Class 6. has a lower viscosity at low temps, which allows the ABS pump and ESC work correctly.

Is the fluid level realy low as this could indicate the brake pads/discs being worn (as the pistons will have moved, taking fluid) or maybe even a small leak.

My (!) stuck on this morning. started the car, took off the hand brake, sat there as some one rang me, noticed the light was still on and I went to set of there was the telltale thump as the hand break came free as it must of been frozen on. Soon as it freed up light went out.

weebob":14q3tl1d said:
My (!) stuck on this morning. started the car, took off the hand brake, sat there as some one rang me, noticed the light was still on and I went to set of there was the telltale thump as the hand break came free as it must of been frozen on. Soon as it freed up light went out.

Originally, that's what I thought was happening to mine.

singlespeed":2yd4ncso said:
You realy want a fluid which has a tighter spec than just DOT4.

DOT4, ISO 4925 Class 6. has a lower viscosity at low temps, which allows the ABS pump and ESC work correctly.

Is the fluid level realy low as this could indicate the brake pads/discs being worn (as the pistons will have moved, taking fluid) or maybe even a small leak.

It's not really low, and I've never needed to top it up before, so the level has presumably naturally dropped over time.

Where's the best place to get that fluid from?

The fluid level will drop as the brake pads and discs wear as the caliper pistons will have traveled, taking some fluid.

Obviously a Renault garage would have some suitable fluid, or a decent motor factors... Halfords Universal DOT4 fluid doesn't mention being ISO 4925 Class 6.

singlespeed":11w4wid6 said:
The fluid level will drop as the brake pads and discs wear as the caliper pistons will have traveled, taking some fluid.

Obviously a Renault garage would have some suitable fluid, or a decent motor factors... Halfords DOT4 fluid doesn't mention being ISO 4925 Class 6.

What makes it suitable for ESP? Is it the ISO4925?

maggi112":i91w3mat said:
The fluid really could do with a change after that long too.

Take the opportunity to change the lines at the same time ;)

If it needs changing, I'd imagine it's been changed by Renault when it's been serviced.

maggi112":3440r128 said:
The fluid really could do with a change after that long too.

Take the opportunity to change the lines at the same time ;)

Should be changed every 4 years.

I had the stop sign and a beep noise happen to me when i changed my brake lines to braided. As you can guess the stiffness made the fluid slosh everywhere when driving and it was on the sensor just so every now and when the sensor got uncovered and beeped at me along with the stop sign.

Might be worth just putting a little in. pop to your local Renault and ask for 7711218589

Twingogeekeo":2jg5jdf2 said:
Might be worth just putting a little in. pop to your local Renault and ask for 7711218589
I've just added the number onto the Maintenance sticky thread