Wet spark plug??

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_McLav

Reaction score
Just changed my plugs to the new renualt recommended ones for the twingo cup and the first three were perfect but the last one (next to air filter) was wet and stank of petrol. There was not any excess oil but almost looked like the rings had been dipped in petrol.

what rings mate? are you referring to the threads on the plugs? looks like the HT lead is buggered, will appear either way that you are not getting a spark. test the resistance of it and cross reference it with whatever it's supposed to be for those leads. too high a resistance will lead to a weak spark which will result in misfire and if weak enough may not be strong enough to ignite every power stroke.

Yeah rings on plug. Theres no miss fire at all so gonna pull plug after say 1000 miles and look to see what the New one is like. Im guessing the ht lead is the wire that plugs into the coil pack? Ive basic skills lol no idea how to check spark strength ect. Car still pulls strong and no loss of power.

alright get some wooden tongs (make sure if you use pliers, they are insulated otherwise do not use them!) and take out the spark plug and the HT lead (thats the cable that you stick onto the spark plug!). now that you've got the spark plug out, connect the HT lead back onto the spark plug and insert and old spark plug plug in it's place (this is to stop fuel being pushed out and creating a nice explosion in your engine bay!) grip the spark plug with the wooden tongs just a few millimetres above the cylinder head and get a friend / helper to start the engine. take note of how the spark looked (was it intense electric blue, or was it a weak dull blue), keep a rough memory of how frequent it was sparking (for example you'll be able to tell the difference between a spark plug going at 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm). repeat this for the spark plug directly next to it, swap the spark plugs around and if the wet spark plug visually works a lot better in the other HT lead then it's the HT lead.

personally i'd use proper spark plug testers and a stroboscope to test wether or not the HT lead was receiving voltage (it will flash every time the spark plug makes a spark) but i only recommended the old school method for testing spark and how to distinguish between a faulty ht lead / coil and spark plug as i'm sure you won't own a stroboscope or spark plug testing machine

Itsnt it a 133, so no HT lead. Just the pencil coils. Of which, thd coil nearest the air filter has been known for getting water in the recess from the scuttle panel leaking.

singlespeed":2cjdf0f8 said:
Itsnt it a 133, so no HT lead. Just the pencil coils. Of which, thd coil nearest the air filter has been known for getting water in the recess from the scuttle panel leaking.

that's fair enough, take the coil out then and hold that over the cylinder head :p

Ok it does look like the water problem and the spark seems fine and I was able to tell a difference. Is there a way to stop all this water ingress as it's going to really annoy me. Thanks for all the help oscar I've learnt something new :)

Why would water smell like fuel?

Mine certainly didn't. It was just corroded, with very little liquid left, if any. I would be looking at removing the scuttle and making it more water tight to prevent this if it is the case.

rob what you need to do is get some putty of sorts and find where the leak is coming from, you'll need a lot of patience and get a hose or something onto the skuttle panel very gently and watch for drips. when you see drips or water coming through, dry it up and put some putty on it or some form of waterproof gel. sorry mate i somehow imagined this would be a misfire lol second guessing over the internet! at least now you know how to test a misfire and how to distinguish between spark plug / ht lead / coil misfires :D

Oh it's not hard to spot. Right about the coil on the furthest towards the nearside the scuttle meets and it drips down there. So I assume it's this coil?

Just lift the rubber and it's dead easy to spot where the two parts meet.

general-twingo-renaultsport/leaking-scuttle-panel-t6539.htm

You don't need to take the panel off completely to seal it. just enough to get a squirt of sealant in:-
Remove the long rubber seal from the scuttle. Simply pulls upwards
Remove the three (T20 torq)screws that hold the scuttle panel down. One in the middle and one either end.
Gently lift the front edge of the plastic scuttle panel upwards, so it comes free from the fixed metal tray on the R/H side of the car.
You can probably now see the squashed foam seal on the end of the fixed tray,which isn't doing a good job of keeping the water out
Squirt some sealant allong the edge of the fixed tray.
Refit....

Thanks allot guys massive help :) will get this done ASAP. I'm guessing the smell of fuel will just be the plug and me just being concerned and thinking the worst.

best not to guess rob! if it was fuel, you'd smell it lol. if it was water it wouldn't smell of much. i think we are all in agreement that theres water damage on the coil (a picture would be handy so that nobody is guessing blindly?) and depending on the severity of it the coil can be saved. if you want to meet me next week mate somewhere in glasgowshire, i'll get you whatever parts you need @ trade price because i'm a champ!

I've wiped and cleaned the coils when I changed the plugs but the one I mentioned did have brown water mark stuff on it. I've cleaned it all up and the coil looks fine. The car is spot on to drive but if there's any issues I'll deffinatly bother you for new coils. Fingers crossed that it holds out just now anyway as I'm doing 60 hour weeks easy and 600 miles min per week too. Tired ain't the word!!