Which exhaust?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthias

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've seen a lot of discussion about exhausts on this forum and since I'm about to get a new exhaust I need to make up my mind. I'd need some impressions so I can make the right choice (I know it's up to me in the end, but still...). I'm considering three options;

1. K-Tec Cat-Back exhaust system,
2. Supersprint Cat-Back exhaust system,
3. Custom made Cat-Back exhaust system.

The way I see it: K-Tec seems to be proven as a spot on exhaust system when it come to fitment, it’s pretty loud and does pop a little and it’s rather cheap. Supersprint comes with homologation, isn’t too loud, doesn’t pop, but sounds pretty nice, yet it is the most expensive one around! Custom made – the only drawback I have is that I’m not sure we have any quality manufacturers of custom-made exhausts, besides Akrapovic of course, but prices can get pretty crazy with them, so that is a no-no! Custom made exhaust can be tailored to pop as much as you want, but I don’t want to lose any performance, because someone wouldn’t know how the exhaust system should work properly (hope you know what I mean).

To sum up, I’m looking for some pops, burbling and shooting noise while de-revving - if K-Tec provides that, I’m going to buy a K-Tec Cat-Back system, if not, it’s either Supersprint, because of the homologation, or custom made one (I don’t really fancy the idea, but I might find someone in time).

Any impressions from K-Tec and Supersprint owners appreciated!

Cheers,

- Matthias

Had both K-tecs, the cat back system is incredible and I still think it's the best sounding exhaust by far.

Only downside is that it is LOUD inside the car, your ears will bleed on motorway journeys.

Video of my old twingo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGKpYaHcJA

Hi, thanks for the impressions. Is the K-Tec system a lot louder than stock on motorways? I consider Twingo very loud on motorway anyway, so being a bit louder wouldn't bother me too much. As long as it sounds awesome cruisin around and blasting through B roads. Do you get any pops and bangs from it when de-revving? I'd love that! ;)

One more question - I'll probably go for a remap. Does K-Tec backbox restrict less than Supersprint one? I mean, they are both cat-back systems so it should be the same, but since Supersprint isn't as loud, it must have something to dampen the noise and is therefore probably heavier and more restricting? Am I wrong?

As far as I'm aware the Superspring system has a larger box at the back which is what makes it quieter. Possibly a different material/thickness, too?

Matthias":18haey7r said:
Hi, thanks for the impressions. Is the K-Tec system a lot louder than stock on motorways? I consider Twingo very loud on motorway anyway, so being a bit louder wouldn't bother me too much. As long as it sounds awesome cruisin around and blasting through B roads. Do you get any pops and bangs from it when de-revving? I'd love that! ;)

One more question - I'll probably go for a remap. Does K-Tec backbox restrict less than Supersprint one? I mean, they are both cat-back systems so it should be the same, but since Supersprint isn't as loud, it must have something to dampen the noise and is therefore probably heavier and more restricting? Am I wrong?

The cat back system is incredibly loud, way way louder than the stock exhaust. The killer is when you lift off the gas or press on the gas doing 70, the reverb from the exhaust drowns out any music, talking in the car and will make your ear drums run for the hills. However that does mean that it sounds awesome when blasting round B roads!

My k-tec system didn't pop or bang on the overrun but I'm not sure whether that was due to my car set up. All I had was the k-tec cat back system and a BMC panel filter.

Fitment is perfect by the way on the k-tec system, I drove mine all the way down there so they could do it :)

I see :cool: Since everyone is talking about how loud the K-Tec System is, I might consider another option now. So one question tuning-wise; do you think that the "gasflow" is the same with K-Tec as it is with Supersprint? I mean, they are both cat-back systems, so gasses should flow more freely, right? Sound dampening in the backbox doesn't make any difference to that little performance you gain? To sum up, if I went for the remap with my BMC filter and one of those two cat-back options (either K-Tec, either Supersprint), the results should be pretty much the same?

Cheers!