Why is my mpg so bad.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noesph

Reaction score
I've had the car for over 2 years now. It's been checked at a good few garages, no one could ever find a problem, it gets a full service every year, runs on shell V power. Passes it MOT with flying colours. Yet its mpg has been crap since I've got it.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/renault/twingo/2009/noesph/335365

And ignore the highest and lowest mpg on that, the car sometimes seems to click off the pump when its not really full. I.e I can lose the 1st square in 3 miles, then the next time it lasts for 40 miles, giving a false reading.

So due to suspecting the car fills up to a different level every time, I started a fuelly account around Christmas, so I could find an average.

13/06/2015 30.491mpg
06/06/2015 30.76mpg
17/05/2015 39.22mpg
05/05/2015 36.37mpg
30/04/2015 31.01mpg
23/04/2015 22.95mpg
12/04/2015 36.80mpg
26/03/2015 28.818mpg
06/03/2015 33.100mpg
20/02/2015 32.18mpg
06/02/2015 28.561mpg
24/01/2015 29.37mpg
12/01/2015 29.86mpg

Average of 31mpg over 2400 miles.

Now I work about 8.2 miles away from home, in the morning I can get there within 25 mins (a mix of 40 mph and 50 mph roads, but with about 15 sets of traffic lights along the way). Coming home its more like 35 mins, and a speed of more like 25 mph, with a far bit of stop start. Is it just the roads and traffic around here that is killing my mpg?

I get about 27mpg because mine only goes out on weekends for a fun drive, I think the stopping and starting is your problem mate, I can get good mpg on long motorway journeys but not sure on the figures

Yeah, its a GT though (1.2 Turbo). Book figures reckon 36mpg urban, 57mpg extra urban, 48 mpg combined.

Maybe its just me, but 30 mpg from a 1149cc is piss poor. Its the one thing more than anything that puts me off my twingo. My old 106 1124cc 8v never dipped below 40 mpg.

funny was going to post about this tonight myself.
Read that the Twingo GT was fun - cheap to run and drive.... and gives decent mpg.

Yet im always looking at the (crap) fuel display.

Bought one of those bluetooth OBDs and tried a couple of apps .... (android phone) - not seen any readout over 30.9mpg.... car has been serviced regularly (think some old couple had it before me surprisingly....)

Any ideas?

.... doesnt seem to change much how I drive it.... commute is a 25 mile mixture of 2 towns and A road for 7 miles of it...

Noesph":3qimqf0g said:
Yeah, its a GT though (1.2 Turbo). Book figures reckon 36mpg urban, 57mpg extra urban, 48 mpg combined.

Maybe its just me, but 30 mpg from a 1149cc is piss poor. Its the one thing more than anything that puts me off my twingo. My old 106 1124cc 8v never dipped below 40 mpg.
I had a GT before my 133 and I only got 300-350 miles to a tank in that

If you got 325 out of a tank you need to be doing 37mpg, I can get about 260 - 270 miles out of tank (I fill up at the last square which is around 230 miles.)

Only thing I can think of trying is getting a new lambda sensor, maybe the one it has is a tad slow.

I get 38mpg out my wind 1.2TCE and averaged 39.3mpg (road trip app) in the twingo, my average speed is around 44MPH and my weekly mileage is around 200 miles so I'm always moving when i hit bad traffic and stop start I can go as low as 30mpg too

Lol maybe I expected bit too much. Did come from a 2.0 tdci afterall....never seen it dip below 48 no matter how it was driven.

Petrol v diesel I guess..

I have a 133 and average 41.5 mpg on motorway at 60mph (not trying to behave) when I'm driving around town and do little motorway I can get under 33mpg easy with 28 being worst. All in all these cars are shite around town and anything over 70mph kills the mpg

Haha... The published figures are nowhere near.... Filled up the other day... Made it click quite a few times.... This time has took longer to loose one bar. Maybe get a bit more.
Disappointed. But still fun to drive.

Hi I've had mine since last November , was advised by the dealer only to fill up with petrol from a station rather than supermarket , have been using V Power up until the last two tanks and am currently carrying out my own little experiment . I don't do that much motorway but do a fair amount of town / city driving , my mileage and was only getting up to 181-190 before the low fuel ping came on which always baffled me as I'm not heavy on my mine driving wise . A couple of weeks back my local Shell garage had a massive queue when I went to fill up and I had to be elsewhere so reluctantly filled up at the local ASDA fearing the performance dip I've heard so many mention on this sight when using anything other than branded fuels. I've not changed my driving style and am actually doing a few more miles since changing roles at work and have got up to 230 before the low fuel ping came on ! I've filled up again with ASDA and will see how much I get out this current tank , switch back to V power and see how it goes from there . I did have a filling up issue and had a new fuel pipe from the tank fitted ( previously posted on this forum ) , it has been fine since however I did notice after my first tank of V Power once the new pipe was fitted it didn't let me fill up quite to the top resulting in my fuel gauge reading 3/4 full . Since filling up at ASDA it goes right to the top and the gauge reads full ? Will report back in two tanks time , have also not noticed any performance issues .

Only filling up at a 'station' may result in buying the exact same fuel as what the supermarket sells. Yes a Shell garage will have different additives but certain other petrol stations may have exactly the same as the super market.