Another MX5 Project Thread

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So last weekend we started to fit all the old turbo bits. Took a while as some new intercooler pipes had to be fabricated as its in a nicer position rather than bodged in but we got there in the end.

Tuned it over and let her idle for a while, all seemed fine until a blip of the throttle and SMOKE. Of course we didn't bother checking the turbocharger for damage but it appears in the crash something inside died. We coil hear a blow from the Downpipe and sure enough the oil found its way through a tiny crack.

ymu9ydun.jpg

tady9yvy.jpg

Thrust bearing completely destroyed. This could be rebuilt but at the moment I don't have the patience for this.

So... Few days later this arrived;

una3upes.jpg

And this weekend is fitting time :))

Looks good now :) i followed the thread from the crash and strip but couldn't see the pics due to the site filter at work.

some amount of stretch going on...

Lack of updates is because she's a bit poorly.

Turbo has been on for a while and everything with that went reasonably to plan but cylinder 3 is filling with oil and shes now starting to miss. Was hoping I'd get a drift day out of her before rebuild but not looking likely now.

Not done compression or leak down tests but there's no point really. Going with uprated bearings etc but not forged.

Building up a list of parts for a rebuild which is more money and time I don't have :(

Small update... After having the car sit on the drive for two months and miss several drift days (including the weekender which is happening this weekend!) and after tallying up all the costs involved I've decided to scrap the rebuild idea and have already sold some parts.

On Thursday I pick up a "known good engine" and will begin cleaning, replacing common failure gaskets/o-rings and will re-assemble with the view to have this in the car by the end of the month.

Alongside this I have many other changes planned so there's a lot of stuff going to happen this month! :)

weebob":2n72dglx said:
Look forward to it
Who... You are, or Matt should be? :lol:

At least you know what's involved in the engine change now. Usually, half the battle with things we don't normally work on is, working out what needs doing and how to do it

Car is almost back on the road so I have a huge amount of updates to put in here. Unfortunately it's going to have to wait until after Japfest... Got a week to finish up everything. Those who follow me on Instagram will have seen dribs and drabs.

Certainly was, tearing up the grass and covering everyone in dust unfortunately.

Next year we're on tarmac and will be doing demos all day :)

I have several hundred photos and a huge chunk of updates that need to be posted here there and everywhere but will also be starting a blog with all the information to make life easier.

MX5 did look really good,

me and my dad were bombing up and down the run way in between the airshow as part of the car show.