bye, bye twingo - I'll miss ya

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frediiii

Reaction score
Hi there,

two weeks ago I was test driving a couple clio 200's... fatal mistake, as 5 minutes ago I signed some papers and in less than 48 hours, I will pick up a brand new clio 200 RB7.

It was a hard decision, but in the end, I had to let the twingo go. for various reasons:

1) it's almost 4 years old. so it's already lost most of it's value. 70000km on the clock and one year away from the inevitable belt-change... so if I was to sell it, it had to be now.

2) the twingo was one of the first of the breed. built in 2008, I spent 1.5 years taking it to the dealers and getting things sorted.
- leaky wheelarches leading to water filled trunk
- insufficient tightening of drivetrain components
- rattle from tailgate
- leaky cam-cover after 5000km
- leaky aircon filling passenger side footwell with condensed water
- squeaky clutch pedal
- worn engine mounts
- many, many more things I already forgot again

3) open issues
- a motorcycle crashed in the cars rear end, bending the exhaust tips towards the bumper which instantly melted
- the bonnet got damaged by hail last year
- the aircon-water problem could not be fixed by 3 different renault garages and still persists
- the clutch pedal problem could not be fixed by 3 different garages and still persists
- steering column starts to 'klick' now and then when you turn it
- aircon ventilation actuators squeak from time to time
- rattling everywhere. from inside the doors, tailgate, seats, dash...
- leaky scuttle panel
- torn lower suspension arm jointcovers
- belt change due next year

so in short: over the next 12 months the car would cost me quite a bit to get back in shape. time and money I don't want to spend on a car that just won't stop breaking. (especially if I already have a R5 GTT which breaks all the time)

Now: my local dealer made me an offer to buy the twingo off me for a really good price, provided I let them fix the damaged bonnet via insurance. Got no problem with that...

Then they made me an offer for the RB7, which has a list price of € 27900 (~21800 gbp) which - after some discussion - dropped to a _very_ reasonable € 22.000 (17200 gbp). So I said: ah, f*ck it. I'll have a clio now.

quite excited now and can't wait to get my hands on it... I guess you all know that feeling.

Crikey. Sounds like you got a pretty decent deal on the Clio. Hope you enjoy the transition.

Looking forward to some pics of the Clio RBR ;)

carbonfanatics":2kyx7uie said:
Ooh nice mate. What spec? ;)

it's a limited edition. according to the information available there will be less than 1000 units made to be sold in just 5 countries... the only choice you have is weather to have satnav or r.s. monitor :)

it comes in full fat:

- comfort pack (keyless entry, bt radio, etc...)
- cup pack
- brembo calipers
- recaro seats
- 18" alloys (going to swap for 17" eventually)
- rs monitor

looks like this:

clio.jpg

I presume it's coming with the nice lairy yellow diffuser?

car_photo_505870_25.jpg

frediiii":32625wfi said:
weebob":32625wfi said:
you wont regret the change ;)

doubt that... did I mention that the GF who was strictly against the purchase doesn't know I already signed the papers?

just dont mention it, turn up in the car and claim you left the twingo in horse poo over night and its grown into a Clio?

weebob":sxnujfe6 said:
frediiii":sxnujfe6 said:
weebob":sxnujfe6 said:
you wont regret the change ;)

doubt that... did I mention that the GF who was strictly against the purchase doesn't know I already signed the papers?

just dont mention it, turn up in the car and claim you left the twingo in horse poo over night and its grown into a Clio?

It's plausible...

Sorry to hear about all the issue's you've got with your twingo but I'm sure you wont regret the upgrade :p Pics will be needed as soon as you get the Clio

weebob":63wkctm6 said:

I could also rip off the "clio" badge and claim I got drunk last night and resprayed some parts of the twingo in chavvy LY :)

That clio looks amazing!! What a great choice, hope you enjoy it i am quite jealous :cool: lol.

X

I drove a Clio 200 Cup (with cage, semi slicks, KTec exhaust) this weekend at the Ring, and I´ve got to say, love the car!!!
Just one thing to never do on this car : lowering springs. The one I drove had them fitted to the Cup suspensions, and it messed up the handling pretty badly, with the car rebounding quite a lot. But the brakes are awesome and the engine sound is pure joy with the open exhaust!

Gotta rent one now to cover more laps and get a laptime out of it :D

Are you going to track it a bit like the Twingo?

gonna be at the ring 10th to 15th, yotah :)

edit: probably need to sleep in the car until then. just told my GF and she's rather p*ssed, to say the least

frediiii":39i5mrql said:
gonna be at the ring 10th to 15th, yotah :)

edit: probably need to sleep in the car until then. just told my GF and she's rather p*ssed, to say the least
If you're not allowed to buy the car you want and there's no issue with affording it, the why the **** not? It's your money.

Sry to say it this way but I got the same thing with a friend of mine.. he loves VW vans and the beetle (the hippie models) but he he's gf doesn't want him to get one..