Charge for a courtesy car???

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waitey

Reaction score
So my car is going in on July 5th for ball joints to be replaced under warranty and apparently for a courtesy car I need to pay £19.95 per day while they carry out warranty work!

Has anyone else had to pay?
I'll need to get home as my closest renault garage is 15 miles away and is rather not hassle family/friends to follow me all that way either.

Thinking of telling them to shove the car as I'm not paying a charge for warranty work.

I rang up and basically asked if it was common to charge £19.95 for a 'courtesy car' as the balljoints failed within warranty and are a common problem and he just said "yes warranty doesn't cover the cost of courtesy cars" so I asked him to cancel as I'm not paying as it is a common failure and it is under warranty.

They have a point, they are not obligated to offer a free courtesy car. Getting RUK involved may well mean that you get it for free but they can simply decline too.

Any other Renault dealers in the area? Maybe one of them will give a free curtesy car, and you can take your business there.

Matt":2vc6dsph said:
They have a point, they are not obligated to offer a free courtesy car. Getting RUK involved may well mean that you get it for free but they can simply decline too.

they can, but my experience was RUK 'paid' for the car.

Rang RUK and they also asked why its booked in for warranty work, which I replied the lower balljoints have failed are are split with slight movement to which they responded, "that's uncommon for a car of that age", they had no idea it was a common fault on our RS and I pointed them to the list on here and the response was "that's an independent forum where it is just the owners views and opinions".

As for the charge the said they will look into it and I explained as the car is under warranty I didn't expect any additional charges especially £19.95 per day for a courtesy car when they will most likely have my car for a few days at least, and I only expected to pay a fuel deposit and to get the deposit back when I return the car with the same amount of fuel.

waitey":b9gtegi1 said:
Rang RUK and they also asked why its booked in for warranty work, which I replied the lower balljoints have failed are are split with slight movement to which they responded, "that's uncommon for a car of that age", they had no idea it was a common fault on our RS and I pointed them to the list on here and the response was "that's an independent forum where it is just the owners views and opinions".

As for the charge the said they will look into it and I explained as the car is under warranty I didn't expect any additional charges especially £19.95 per day for a courtesy car when they will most likely have my car for a few days at least, and I only expected to pay a fuel deposit and to get the deposit back when I return the car with the same amount of fuel.

They said similar when I mentioned the 197/200 gearbox problems... even pointed them towards the thread on 197.net showing 40% or respondees have had a replacement or at least work done. Also mentioned threads on renaultsport.co.uk.

It's odd that some of RUK recognise things as a common problem and others don't.

I've never had to pay for a courtesy car during warranty work or servicing etc. Which dealer are you using? Might be worth asking at another

DrDrew":9xp30u0p said:
It's odd that some of RUK recognise things as a common problem and others don't.

I've never had to pay for a courtesy car during warranty work or servicing etc. Which dealer are you using? Might be worth asking at another

Renault Leicester.

There is one in Loughborough slightly closer but its under Arnold Clark I think and we have had bad experiences with Arnold Clark and it seems many others have.

Renault Watford use a hire company to provide their courtesy cars. They asked to charge me for something which I declined and told them to charge it to Renault direct and I never heard a thing after :lol:

waitey":3i204few said:
DrDrew":3i204few said:

Renault Leicester.

There is one in Loughborough slightly closer but its under Arnold Clark I think and we have had bad experiences with Arnold Clark and it seems many others have.

It's under Archie moss in Loughborough, though I still travel across to smiths at Peterborough.

Mike_Robo":2upcraqa said:
are you 21? as I had this problem with mine when my brake calliper seal burst. There was an additional charge due to insuring me as I was under 21. The car itself was free though.

I turn 21 on June 30th and said that to them.

I might call Archie moss Loughborough and see if they charge for courtesy cars.

Mike_Robo":jloz578i said:
are you 21? as I had this problem with mine when my brake calliper seal burst. There was an additional charge due to insuring me as I was under 21. The car itself was free though.

I've never had to pay for a courtesy car and I'm 19. I've already had 3 courtesy cars :?

ive never had to pay for a courtesy car when mines gone in to be sorted. just signed a sheet and away i went and took it back when they phoned me to get my own back.

Same here, never had to pay and I had quite some visits to the dealer.

As long as it's under warranty, the courtesy cars is free.

MovingShadow":3qlqe8xr said:
Same here, never had to pay and I had quite some visits to the dealer.

As long as it's under warranty, the courtesy cars is free.

My car is under warranty until the end of November but they said warranty doesn't cover a courtesy car?

Its not very courteous saying its £20 per day when they will likely have the car 2-3 days to diagnose then order them fit.

No one in my family have ever paid for a courtesy car except a fuel deposit which you get back.