chassis bracing interest

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LC":28hn6va4 said:
I could do it for a few £'s
Well OK - but you would have to pay me for car parking at the house, so then we'd be even then :? :lol: ;) Plus if you a really good I'd let you sit in a proper car. :D

Can any one tell me what the difference is between a RS top strut mount and the standard one fitted to the GT, looking around I can't see any difference, if so then this strut brace should fit a RS as well - a picture would help.

and isn't the dynamique etc the same scuttle panel and general engine bay layout in terms of the chassis and strut towers so on so forth ? .... unless that's changed on the facelift, of which i never worked on but i don't imagine they'd change that.

oscar":3a9xwked said:
and isn't the dynamique etc the same scuttle panel and general engine bay layout in terms of the chassis and strut towers so on so forth ? .... unless that's changed on the facelift, of which i never worked on but i don't imagine they'd change that.
No mines identical to yours, even got that black metal shield over the offside strut top, what confused me is all this talk of adjustable top mounts on the BC coilovers and after I did a search it looks the same as the AST / KamRacing design which is a similar design to the K-tec I've got fitted - which is none adjustable, so in theory if a K-tec or Pure Motorsport top mount is used on an RS then this strut brace I've got coming should fit an RS - or am I getting this totally wrong :oops: :oops:

from memory, all the mk 2 twingo's share the same distance from top mount to top mount, and between mount to scuttle panel..... so in theory, the GT / 133 k-tec top mounts for example being the same ; will fit both cars, and with the suspension on the dynamique and the lower models being the same set up as as both the 133/GT in terms of top mounts etc then they should work. the ktec gt/133 top mount is essentially the same piece of kit!

i was wondering why you wanted a GT. it's okay, we all have those moments. i've had three already today! :D

oscar":oof8vlv5 said:
i was wondering why you wanted a GT. it's okay, we all have those moments. i've had three already today! :D
Hey at my age I can only dream of having only three moments in one day. :oops: :lol: :lol: :eek: ;)

So that's interesting - the only reason I thought I'd put the call out is to check the clearance between the top of the engine and the scuttle - the GT has more pipework than a standard 16V so while I'd got the strut (it's on loan from Pure M) I thought it would be worth while checking the fit, if it's OK for mine I will buy it, if not it will be sent back to be modified by Pure M - nice guys to work with by the way - very helpful.

Original fit topmounts look the same on a both of our cars. 133 and 1.2 facelift.

BC /AST topmounts sandwich the inner wing, being a close fit in the mounting hole. They dont bolt through the wing as they are positionable and need to be rotated to alter camber, castor.

Pure and Ktec mounts are drilled through the wing.

singlespeed":kx62wqni said:
Original fit topmounts look the same on a both of our cars. 133 and 1.2 facelift.

BC /AST topmounts sandwich the inner wing, being a close fit in the mounting hole. They dont bolt through the wing as they are positionable and need to be rotated to alter camber, castor.

OK - I'm getting the picture now, so the only real difference between the RS and standard model (including the GT) is the lower hole spacing where the strut bolts fasten to the hub and of course the additional bracket for the anti roll bar.

Spitfire1":2nou77pl said:
singlespeed":2nou77pl said:

OK - I'm getting the picture now, so the only real difference between the RS and standard model (including the GT) is the lower hole spacing where the strut bolts fasten to the hub and of course the additional bracket for the anti roll bar.
And the upright/hub assemblies with different wishbones that give much better geometric roll center positioning and geometry.

singlespeed":e194f3si said:
And the upright/hub assemblies with different wishbones that give much better geometric roll center positioning and geometry.
Yes but you are looking at it from the wrong direction / reason I asked the question, yes the hub is different & the wishbone (but then you have those crap bushes and ball joints), I'm thinking how difficult would it be to ask BC to make a strut to suit the GT / 16v - all they have to change is the lower mounting bracket (Hub) and leave off the anti roll bar bracket.

Rob if you need a 133 to try it on I might be up for a little drive weather dependent! :D

133_Ads":1pv0d0qt said:
Rob if you need a 133 to try it on I might be up for a little drive weather dependent! :D
That would be great - we can sort that dog bone at the same time. I'm not sure what the weather forecast is at the moment for sure it will involve rain :roll: :roll:

Will it be this weekend? Sunday is better for me as i am busy Saturday and Monday! I do have the dogbone around somewhere haha!

133_Ads":38gwi3hv said:
Will it be this weekend? Sunday is better for me as i am busy Saturday and Monday! I do have the dogbone around somewhere haha!
Sunday would be good but will be dependant on me receiving the brace tomorrow - I'll let you know, if not this weekend then it's going to be a couple of weeks as I'm in London next weekend and I'm going a MR2 Roadster Owners Club meet the following weekend at Demon Tweeks - I suppose that could also be a meeting point as well.