Clio 197

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin_172":35xgcikb said:
weebob":35xgcikb said:
Also get the water pump done

is it needed on the 197? genuine question ive never had to do the belts on one, but I know its not needed on the older F4R's in the 172/182 (obviously to be inspected and replaced if needed but its not an item you do as part of the service like the D4F and D4Ft)
People on 197.net reckon so, way I look at it is it such a simple job, but needs the belts off. Can't inspect the state of the impliers.

I'm sure Sideways Danny has said he's never seen a water pump need replacing on a MK 3 RS. I think most people do it for peace of mind tbh. You can never treat a car too well.

ive never done it on a 172/182 as if its not a weak point imo its not worth doing, dephaser as piece of mind yeah as its probably got a 50% chance of failing before the next belt change!

Dazza1":tozadox2 said:
TURBO":tozadox2 said:
Don't do it there are s**t.

U could buy a much much better,quicker car for half the costs with no finance
What's up with the 197's mate

if youve got the bug for a clio you should get a 172/182 Amazing little beasts.and you could even get a throphy and still have change.
As soon as you step up to the clio 3 197/200 etc they are too big and heavy and with next to no power upgrades they feel so sluggish, they loose the whole point of the renault sport. :cry: :cry:

Saying that if you do get one i could do the belts/depasher/waterpump etc for super mates rates if u want ;)

TURBO":1qqkd38b said:
Dazza1":1qqkd38b said:
TURBO":1qqkd38b said:
Don't do it there are s**t.

U could buy a much much better,quicker car for half the costs with no finance
What's up with the 197's mate

if youve got the bug for a clio you should get a 172/182 Amazing little beasts.and you could even get a throphy and still have change.
As soon as you step up to the clio 3 197/200 etc they are too big and heavy and with next to no power upgrades they feel so sluggish, they loose the whole point of the renault sport. :cry: :cry:

Saying that if you do get one i could do the belts/depasher/waterpump etc for super mates rates if u want ;)
I'm trying to get the wife to let me get it

Im looking at 197's, but it would have to be an F1 team so i dont start modding again haha!

197's go from £5-9k

182's go for around £2-3.5k for a decent one, which is a good price but the interior is dated..
Trophies are going for £5-6.5k for a decent one.. For nice seats and some slight mods..

Why not buy the more up to date modern version that is much more luxurious!

BlackTwingo-i":36wndzgh said:
Im looking at 197's, but it would have to be an F1 team so i dont start modding again haha!

197's go from £5-9k

182's go for around £2-3.5k for a decent one, which is a good price but the interior is dated..
Trophies are going for £5-6.5k for a decent one.. For nice seats and some slight mods..

Why not buy the more up to date modern version that is much more luxurious!
Some slight mods :? the dampers are a pinned version of what now goes on the R2 and the geometry is different so thats about 3k for starters

I meant only a few things, i didnt mean that they werent much different! Tiz the perfect track setup? But for that suspension setup on a 182, you could have a more luxury car is what i was saying neil you twonk! <3

From a financial perspective i would say 182 as the 197 isn't really all that highly regarded not say compared to the 200.

weebob":1rih9z19 said:
Damn sight better looking though ;)

This.

No offence but 182s and 172s are driven by utter chavs around here and i would never buy one because they look too out dated and don't look anything special, another reason is that forum.

I'd choose a 200 as i prefer the look of those ;) and 197.net is generally a good forum.

So it's not just me who feels used trophys are overpriced then

And between 1*2 and a 197... 197 all day long. As with all renaultsports, I believe you really need to want the car to buy it over a number of comparable motors, and it defies logic, but everyone wants one really.

197/200 over a mk2 any day of the week, too say they are too heavy and sluggish is idiotic.

I had a pretty highly tuned 172 running 190hp 160lbft and it was no faster than my 200 was. The mk3s feel like a proper performance car, awesome brakes, awesome chassis, awesome gearbox, awesome engine. Mk2s these days feel lile somthing you threw together in your garage, un refined, noisy, rubbish gearboxes.

Good cars in their day, but massively over shaddowed by the mk3. In the same way the mk4 will overshaddow it.

Anyone who says a 197/200 is rubbish compaired to a 172/182 is unable to appreciate a chassis/drivers car for what it is.

I'd have to disagree Martin the feel of the 1*2 /twingo to drive compared to 197 is loads better but I suppose everyone to there own

Before this stands a chance of getting to a silly place, we are bringing up opinions (I know that's the whole point of us being here, would be rather boring if non were bat about) and comparing things based on personal preference. If I remember right Daz's 133 is a non cup so a hardcore stripped out motor may not fit, but the extra comfort of a 197 (dependant on version) may, who knows...

Anyway, Daz, drive it see what you think and let us know. Nimbus is a cracking colour and the car looks spot on. The belts gives you a nice leverage but aren't the end of the world as you know a man that can ;)

On the road a 10bhp per tonne difference will make no difference my 172 was rolling roaded at 190bhp on the same rollers my 200 ran 203bhp there was nothing wrong with the setup but on the road it was no faster, of coursr drag race it would probably pull a cars length on it but nothing that you would feel a difference in driving. The 197/200 is much better geared for acceleration especially a 200, they have more torque all that makes the extra weight not so much of a problem.

On the subject of unsprung weight your forgetting those pretty big brembos weigh a quarter of the weight of the 172/182/twingo setup, of course the wheels are a bit heavier though.

You just need to look at the lap time differences in the clio cup racecars to see the benefits of the mk3 chassis, same driver and conditions a 172 wont lap the ring the same or faster than a mk3 not a chance

The Mk3 is by no means slow nor does it feel heavy.

I think people look at 1*2s with rose-tinted specs to be honest. Yes they're great cars, no doubt about that at all. But a 197/200 is a different car altogether, they're a lot more composed than the 1*2 which can perhaps make them "feel" slower but in reality they're really not. They are heavier yes, but the jump in power negates the extra weight.

Likewise, the 133 feels rapid because it's so rorty and little but it's not really a "hot" hatch by any stretch. It's warm certainly, just like the Suzuki Swift Sport is. But it's nowhere near the category of the 197/200 and Type-R etc.. Much like they're a step down from the 225 and Focus RS.

Perspective, the "feeling" of speed, can confuse the senses...

I've had a 197 and drove 1*2 I even chose the twingo over my old 197 ...

Willis":k6nixcu4 said:
The Mk3 is by no means slow nor does it feel heavy.

I think people look at 1*2s with rose-tinted specs to be honest. Yes they're great cars, no doubt about that at all. But a 197/200 is a different car altogether, they're a lot more composed than the 1*2 which can perhaps make them "feel" slower but in reality they're really not. They are heavier yes, but the jump in power negates the extra weight.

Likewise, the 133 feels rapid because it's so rorty and little but it's not really a "hot" hatch by any stretch. It's warm certainly, just like the Suzuki Swift Sport is. But it's nowhere near the category of the 197/200 and Type-R etc.. Much like they're a step down from the 225 and Focus RS.

Perspective, the "feeling" of speed, can confuse the senses...

I agree with this,
I loved my 172's but when I got a mk3 I always felt that it felt like a proper performance car that was built as a performance car, the brakes, the suspension, the steering, the way it reacted where the 172 feels more like a home grown conversion (which at the end of the day it is, a Renault Clio with a Laguna engine fitted!)

the way the later F4R's deliver power is brilliant, so silky smooth, al the way to the 7800rpm redline, the earlier ones feel a bit rough and industrial!! but still a cracking engine