Cup vs coilovers - opinions?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
markhardy":15e4lp7d said:
I was going to say, cup shocks front and rear are a significant amount more than non cup. Anyone with cup suspension will be better of with bc coilovers in the future when they need replacing

If Adam's prices get confirmed I think I'll be going the standard route. Quite a long way to go to 700 quid from the 200 or so that it will cost me with shipping from Adam. Was only considering coliovers on the assumption the prices would be similar in other countries.

Bit off topic though - do coilovers and normal shocks differ in lifespan? Presume coilovers need servicing/rebuilds after some time too - question is whether the cost of that will be higher than a set of new shocks again?

normal shock absorbers usually last 60,000 - 80,000 km assuming road conditions are good and the correct suspension setup was adhered to I.E not reducing lifespan majorly with lowering springs and whatnot. i'm not sure how long coilovers usually last, but i'd expect this to be the same.

you can have them rebuilt, this usually costs around 50-100 pounds A CORNER directly from bc racing, or other respective coilover companies. ridiculous really but hey ho!

the dampers on a kit like the BC Racing set should always last the longest as they are working with the optimum damper travel regardless of ride height. standard dampers will be put under more strain at lower ride heights.

Had a dive recently under the car and got same number for front, but different for rear (same format as the front). However these two numbers for the rear (singlespeed's and mine) seem to correspond to each other somehow on that Russian parts catalogue site I posted earlier.

Turned out the prices Adam gave me were for non Cups (part numbers match those on dempsej's non Cup RS).

Cup pack to everyone who owns one or knows Renaults = Extreme chassis upgrade according to renault infotec page and Hunter wheel allignment settings = Racing chassis on that Russian parts website