Cup vs standard vs coilovers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggi200

Reaction score
So Basically I'm undecided. I can't budget for a standard car with acup chassis as it just breaks my budget (as I'm also saving for a house). I like the cup, but can afford a standard car over the top of that too. I've driven both cup and standard and tbh for fast road driving I can't tell there being much difference but obviously on track I can imagine there being a fair amount.

Now what I was thinking was a full car, get cup alloys on it (and leave the standards for my winter wheels as I always have a set of winters anyway) and eventually add coilovers.

My question is, as I haven't driven cup and standard back to back, can someone compare the two for me and tell me what option I should go for! As I said I can'tjustify the extra, and if i do add coilovers this would be through birthday presents and favours etc rolled into one :p

Surely getting Cup wheels on it afterward would nearly be the cost of adding the Cup pack anyway? (presuming you'd source a decent set second hand) Only be a few hundred pounds more, no? And far cheaper than coilovers at a later date.

resale on a standard w/out cup pack may be very difficult...everyone pretty much goes for the cup /cup pack

everyone who wants any sort of Renault sport all want the cup pack mate, as Rob said, reselling one wont be easy, would have to let it go for a lot less than a cup / cup chassis car. if your adding coil overs and cup wheels it will work out more expensive anyway.

if i was in your position, i would buy a cup car, my next one will be a cup car, not just a cup chassis car

Resale isn't a worry for me tbh as I plan on keeping the car for as long as possible. At least 4 years if not more and then (assuming it's problem free) some

As for the working out more expensive, true overall it will but coilovers would be a gift to me from several family members for probably the next few years. I'm still owed my 21st birthday present from my parents back in august :lol:

And As for the wheels. Thought that through too. I would want a 2nd set whatever, as I like to keep winter wheels and tyres. So whatever car I bought would have them, and my plan was a cheap set as a mate refurbs and owes me a massive favour after getting his tax in order at the last minute (being the only accountant in my circle of friends has some perks I guess)

if your going to get coilovers, might as well go for the top daddy, and thats ones from ATS which is completely adjustable, height to dampners.
least with cup pack its a forget and go track and day all rounder were corner weights already been worked out and dampner rates to give a good track feel yet not break your back on motor way.
coilovers give you that superiour ride height adjustment for track/rally days yet you'll have to get them set/corner checked every time you change your height, dont think that ten turns on left front will equal ten turns on front right. unless you've got the equipement or friends to do it your self becomes expensive. and having coilover as one height is no point, could just go for lowering springs which like stock has bene set up to take the weight but slightly better made quality then oem and isnt running so low you can go over bumps.
just depends on what you'll be using it for.
i've gone for lowering springs so get a bit lower on the track but nothing hard core, yet have adjustable dampners *still awaiting to fit* with settings to allow super comfy ride on motor ways or harden them as much as the track in question requires or a nice blast on B-roads.

from sounds of it, you should go for cup package, wear those tyres down and keep the slim 195 for winter and aftermarket 205 rims for summer day driving :D or other way around but get some 205s on the cup if not going to be using it for winter

To add to this... I think I would add coilovers even on a cup as the ride height is still a little high and if I'm gonna lower, gonna do it properly of course ;)

I think my question basically is then:

Between the two, standard and cup, does the cup really add that much to the experience?

hopefully, someone that has driven both on B/A roads and motorways will be able to fill you in, dont think anyone has tracked both of them though.

Yeah I imagine track is where the differnece will shine, real world driving I wondered if the differences were going to be noticable. My current car is bone shatteringly stiff so am actually looking forward to a lil more comfort so thinking standard car with coilovers will suit leaving me 16" winter wheels.