Dealer paint sealers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsidave

Reaction score
Are any of these paint sealers that the dealer wants you to buy any good ? Or is it a liecence to print money. I'm no detailer by any way shape or for. But I do like washing and polishing my car every so often. Any tips hints etc.

Avoid. It's just dealers cashing in on lazy people thinking it's a miracle product, which it isn't. Some of them aren't bad products, but they're often badly prepped and applied and leave poor results.

I'm normally a srp guy have been for years. But I've aquired over the last few years diamond brite and gaurd x paint sealers. So won't be paying the dealers a penny for it. I no none of them last for years, just do they do any harm or they any good.

Oh right, well them particular ones I have no personal expereience with but I have heard that they are reasonable for the price of the product. SRP is excellent regardless of the branding and peoples percieved ideas about it. I would go with that then a nice wax over the top. I perosnally would either use something like EGP if you wanna keep it autoglym, that stuff is a real hidden gem. I've tried and owned several fancy waxes and I still think EGP is amazing, that or you could try some meguiars #16. A tin will last you a life time and costs £12 ;) It's excellent stuff, can last 6 months easy and beads and sheets like a nutter

Might have to have an eBay clear out of some stuff people buy those sorts of products should leave me with a few quid to go out and buy some fresh stuff. Egp that's the one with a gold lable if I remember rightly. Always though about using it just never bought it. Would prefer to stick with one brand keeps it simples.

Yup. For the money, it's very, very, veyr good. Often overlooked for some reason. The HD wax is very good, described by autoglym themselves as EGP on steroids, but please don't pay the £45 halfords want for it when it's available for £26 delivered online in a variety of places!

It's like anything nowadays it pays to shop around lol, but thanks for heads up will have to spend some money, when I get payed.

I've heard stories of certain shampoos stripping these finishes off, etc. I wouldn't pay the money personally but if you're acquired them, there could be a few quid on eBay :)

As above.. I really like AG EGP. I don't get the hatred for AG products... SRP works wonders at removing very minor blemishes and filling in slight scratches and the EGP finishes it off very nicely :) Both easy to get hold of, fairly cheap and a breeze to apply!

If you was to buy the dealer stuff they say DONT wax or polish your car for 3 - 5 years depend on what product you buy. If you are going to be washing and polishing your car then there is no point in buying the dealer stuff

Most valeters end up with loads of kits left over! Let's put it that way. Let's just say I got a leaving present of an old friend when I left a dealer ship. Time to start a fresh with my cleaning stuff and get new.

We can help you spend :lol:

dodo born to be mild shampoo (or sour power, I've just fallen back in love with this stuff and bought 2 litres of it :D)
super resin polish
megs #16

best budget kit around ;) don't do what i do and spend thousands on waxes :lol:

They don't last as long as they say, simple as that.

Me and the Mrs were offered G-3 Glasscoat protection on both our Twingos which is meant to last 5 years, not even just 3!!!

I declined so they said they'd give us the kit to apply ourselves for free. Well they applied it to the Mrs car anyway so I thought we may as well see how it lasts. When it arrived it looks nice and shiny, like you'd expect and it was beading like mad, as much as any wax I've used.

I washed the car with Dodo Juice Born to be Mild so I knew this wouldn't strip the product. Yet after 2 months the beading was virtually non existent.

Now, as I have the kit included with mine I have read the instructions and they are extremely specific. The car must be clean and free from defects. That to me means fully corrected, clayed and de-greased.

Now what dealership applying a product like this will go to those lengths? They will simply wash it and apply the product.

Now these sealants may very well last the claimed time but under very specific conditions. I don't think those conditions are ever adhered too so they simply do not last the claimed time.

Not so much false advertising but very cleverly written small print.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with a regular detailing plan. Clay every 6-12 months, polish every 3-6 months and wax every 1-3 months.

Alex - It would be interesting if you set yourself a project applying the G3 sealant as specified to one motor, then comparing the results.

I had the same problem. Had the g3 applied on my car and after about a month there was no beading anymore. In all don't bother I've learnt from my mistakes :(

I have a G3 kit in my cupboard at home. was going to use it but never got round to it yet.

singlespeed":kfdon8ce said:
Alex - It would be interesting if you set yourself a project applying the G3 sealant as specified to one motor, then comparing the results.

You know what, I'd thought about doing exactly that but not got round too it.

The instructions have quite a list of specific requirements that I'm guessing if you stick to properly it will last. Then again though, to maintain it you may have to use their shampoo etc.

Put it this way, any non detailing type who will go to a car wash for example, where they use strong all purpose cleaners, de-greasers or even washing by hand with a strong solution of shampoo would strip it off the car eventually. Collinite wax is detergent proof but you still strip it off in time.

Even the bottle of the stuff tells me I shouldn't be applying it hahaha

Glasscoat.jpg

I wonder why it's a prosecutable offence to apply it????