Fitting the F4R

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Evening. I have been offered an F4R engine, just wondering what fun and games I'm going to have fitting it and if I can use that gearbox. I know a lot of the DNA of the mk2 clio was carried over to the Twingo but assume this isn't a 'buy the engine and gearbox mounts and drop it in' job. Any potential issues please post here so I can weigh the job up. Ta

il buy it off you and save you the hassle?????

i no but i need one so gota ask :mrgreen:

soz il go read the Q

it will fit, just!!!

main issues will be exhaust mani clearance, driveshafts and mounts.
will prob have to get custom ones made.

and getting front suspension for the weight. not sure if clio stuff will fit??

I have fully adjustable dampers on the front. Big hammer will sort the fire wall out ;) Lol

Steve-o":3chz61eo said:
I have fully adjustable dampers on the front. Big hammer will sort the fire wall out ;) Lol

but what springs do you have?due to the extra weight!

anything can be done if you have a big enough hammer :lol: :lol:

i know someone who has done this so il get you his number is your sure you dont wana sell the lump :roll:

I was thinking of selling the whole car at one point but nobody wanted it :(

Spax lowered springs, can be replaced, springs are not that expensive

Steve-o":l52hkq5v said:
I was thinking of selling the whole car at one point but nobody wanted it :(

Spax lowered springs, can be replaced, springs are not that expensive

is this you gt??

Yep my lovely GT I had mapped again not long back with the 182 injectors. 141 bhp and 153 lbft on rolling road. (fuel pump cuts out at any more lol) Wanted £6250 for it with all the mods :( fair price I thought.

If it's an F4R from a 172 or 182 then it should fit but the engine mounts will have to be custom made, and the 5 speed gearbox will fit, tightly but will fit. If it's an F4R from a 197, then the 6 speed gearbox will never fit so you'd have to find a new gearbox. Anyway, for any engine swap it means a Motec (or other brand) ECU custom mapped for the engine as all the engine's wiring will not communicate properly with the Twingo's central computer and you won't be able to start it on the normal wiring setup. Wiring + Motec ECU + man's work usually goes aroung 1500£.

Currently looking into fitting a 197 Phase 2 F4R in my RS for next year with a 5 speed gearbox, hoping for 215 hp output :)

Steve-o":3g2d19pl said:
Yep my lovely GT I had mapped again not long back with the 182 injectors. 141 bhp and 153 lbft on rolling road. (fuel pump cuts out at any more lol) Wanted £6250 for it with all the mods :( fair price I thought.

not bad :cool:

u not fancy seeing how far u can go with the 1.2??
could be an intresting challenge :geek:

>150 = new/re-veined turbo, fuel pump, injectors, clutch, pistons etc. To see maybe 160/170 at the absolute maximum. F4R is drop in reliable 170-180 so makes more sense and probably cheaper. To be honest this is the longest I've ever owned a car so if neither the 1.2 mods or the F4R happen then I think it's time to move on...

yotah1":1izwcswg said:
If it's an F4R from a 172 or 182 then it should fit but the engine mounts will have to be custom made, and the 5 speed gearbox will fit, tightly but will fit. If it's an F4R from a 197, then the 6 speed gearbox will never fit so you'd have to find a new gearbox. Anyway, for any engine swap it means a Motec (or other brand) ECU custom mapped for the engine as all the engine's wiring will not communicate properly with the Twingo's central computer and you won't be able to start it on the normal wiring setup. Wiring + Motec ECU + man's work usually goes aroung 1500£.

Currently looking into fitting a 197 Phase 2 F4R in my RS for next year with a 5 speed gearbox, hoping for 215 hp output :)

the F4R of the 197 should do without motec & co as it also uses the sagem3000 ECU...

Yep that´s why I´m looking into it rather than f4r from 172 and 182, also it appears to be actually a tiny bit more compact. More news in October from my garage!

can't wait!

once this is in progress, give me a shout. I'd love to see this in real life. I'd even take a few days off work :)

no need for custom engine mounts just use the clio mounts as the twingo is a clio front end, i've looked into this extensivly, and the only "custom" things needed is the exhaust and the wiring loom.

The shafts can still be used, and the gear selection needs the clio gear stick setup, as the twingo is cable rather than rod, the coolent pipes are close enough to be used, if not only a couple of custom ones. as for clearance it fits, and only need to remove the scuttle panel on the twingo (unbolts).

to whoever thought about doing it with the 197, i hope you have alot of money to burn, as you'll need to spend over £3000 to get that engine to a genuine 215bhp.

push comes to shove combien ktecs 133 and 1*2 engine mounts :) will take a clear picture of mine when it comes on wednesday. and will try to find matching pics of 1*2s ones

The main issue is the gearbox, you will have to convert from the cable selector on the twingo to full rod selector from the clio which means changing everything down to the shaft in the car, other then that, the ecu and wiring loom plugs are all fairly straight forward, the engine loom should plug into the dash loom without too many issues, but you will need an unlocked ecu, also to make life easier you will need a ph2 engine, or at least ph2 intake manifold otherwise your looking at converting to cable throttle, all in all not too difficult ;)

Prab