free/cost effective RS upgrades

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airco unit doesn't have that much weight.

At my work they entirely dissasembled the new VW Golf 7 and I had the airco in my hands. It's all plastic vents and fans.

Maybe a few kilograms but removing it alone want gain you much unless you plan a full car strip.

To be honest i would only get a remap after panel and exhaust.

When you think about it upwards of 400 quid is a lot of money for some bent metal!

Watching wheeler dealers on discturbo makes me want to mod but on a shoestring budget!

What about 2nd hand parts? Cheaper and most things will be in good condition. Breathable mods are always the most cost effective things to do.
Lowering springs arent to expensive either and theres always 2nd hand ones floating round.

Out of interest it must cost less to fit coilovers etc to Twingo as its springs on the back isnt it?

JoeRS133":38plwp19 said:
Out of interest it must cost less to fit coilovers etc to Twingo as its springs on the back isnt it?
It doesn't seem to bring the price down much unless your comparing to AST or R2 coilovers. Theres loads of small cars with a beam axle and springs, so its prety much the norm.

Clio 182 cup coilovers fit, but you will need a bracket for the front ARB to attach to.

Being N/A and relatively rare, you have the wrong car for cheap mods that will make any significant difference.

To be fair the best mods i ever did to anh cars ive ownes is suspension and brakes and tyres.

But yeah i did pick the wrong car for power upgrades. Something like a corsa vxr would have been bettwr.

Have you seen the prices they go for though! 8 grand for a 6 year old vauxhall with high miles is deffo not worth it!

Get a 172 engine from scrappy and spend time rebuilding and fit a turbo on it when ur finished warranty will b finished and u have a mental engine.

Lol not cheap but not 4k either. It would b cheap if done over time and u would not be hunting free ways to make ur car better. Only really free ways is loose weight and strip car and acquire any freebies otherwise u will have to spend good money for good gains. There is always NOS ;)

Rob_McLav":13a2yn2r said:
There is always NOS ;)
Thats certainly not cheap either. Well, if you want a safe and reliable system thats not going to melt your engine.

Out of interest has anyone in the uk done a 172/182/200 engine conversion to a Twingo yet? Its something along with a 225 engine i would consider.

Would have to be 100% reliable and professionally done though!

Rob_McLav":1cntchs7 said:
Lol not cheap but not 4k either.

£500 for engine, £1000 for forged internals, £500 for cambelt kit, £500 for all your seals, valves, oils.

2.5k and you havn't even started your turbo kit yet!!!

JoeRS133":2eb37suu said:
Out of interest has anyone in the uk done a 172/182/200 engine conversion to a Twingo yet? Its something along with a 225 engine i would consider.

Would have to be 100% reliable and professionally done though!

Like this
Jordysportracing":2eb37suu said:
Developments from today, see all the repairs done panels fitted, wiring re-jiggled fuse box setup aircon pipes attached.

BUT, I thought i had a new rad for it, but appears not so have to order that tomorrow for arrival on Friday, so completion probably near the end of the weekend :D

Sneak peak:

IMAG0205.jpg

Would it still be reliable having such a big heavy hot engine in a tiny Twingo bay?

Also im guessing suspension would have to be changee as im guessing it must weigh a lot more?

In my experience its always the turbo cars that go bang first on a trackday.