free/cost effective RS upgrades

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MovingShadow":d90tl7cz said:
Airco unit doesn't have that much weight.

At my work they entirely dissasembled the new VW Golf 7 and I had the airco in my hands. It's all plastic vents and fans.

Maybe a few kilograms but removing it alone want gain you much unless you plan a full car strip.

Depends on car methinks...the issue lies with aircon pump, usually a heavy ass chunk of steel and aluminium. Stripped it out my dad's Hyundai Coupe when he was rallying it and ended up saving 10kg from the pump alone. Not to mention the drag etc... :)

But by the time you strip the AC out, with all lines/radiators etc, you're probably looking at about 15kg for quite a lot of work...

Something I JUST remembered.

BIG F*CK OFF CHUNK OF IRON IN FRONT END
If you take your front bumper off, behind the washer bottle is a very large chunk of cast *badly* Iron attached with 1 bolt and a large Lug.

Chuck it to save about 10kg.

I thought this was used as a sacrificial block which is encourage to rust (being unpainted) as opposed to other parts of the engine bay?

How would that work though? If water/salt gets on metal it will corrode/rust it regardless of if theres another bit of metal next to it?

I hear 172 owners have something similar and that was used to help stop vibrations as its a road car.

markhardy":29xvijxl said:
In my opinion its there for a reason

It must be, I mean why would Renault go out of their way to stick a big metal bar on if it had no purpose?
It's just figuring out what for haha

LCplParks":3agkuu3t said:
markhardy":3agkuu3t said:
In my opinion its there for a reason

It must be, I mean why would Renault go out of their way to stick a big metal bar on if it had no purpose?
It's just figuring out what for haha

That's the mystery, some views was cp, some was weight distribution.

Or possibly it was a running joke at the factory of just throwing random stuff in for the banter! :-D

madmatt":36ud46t2 said:
Something I JUST remembered.

BIG F*CK OFF CHUNK OF IRON IN FRONT END
If you take your front bumper off, behind the washer bottle is a very large chunk of cast *badly* Iron attached with 1 bolt and a large Lug.

Chuck it to save about 10kg.

When i was fitting my HID fogs, i was fitting them with a guy who does a lot of the exhaust testing for the new vans (about 2-3 years before they start full production)

He said it will more than likely be there to help weight distribution.

If it was there to help prevent rust in the engine bay it wouldn't be so heavy...

Possible i guess. Like i say im no scientist but i cant imagine one little lump of metal next to a huge area of metal is going to help stop the massive area of metal rusting lol

Talking of which my engine bay has a load of white stains in it from the road salt which i need to wash and wax out.

Also might be interesting to see if the Rally models have it?

Failing that someone on renaultsport forums must know?