Good front disc and pad set up for spirited driving?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbushrat

Reaction score
I need to replace the pads and discs all round.
The rear I will just keep oem but I am wanting
A set up for the front that can handle spirited
Driving and a few competitions.
Am I correct in thinking that brembo hc are the
Way to go disc wise?
Don't have a clue pad wise any thoughts guys?

Cheers

Graeme

Brembo HC as you've said and DS2500's were what i had on the front of mine and they were awesome! :)

mrbushrat":bubfbdd6 said:
MarcRS":bubfbdd6 said:
EBC Ultimax with Yellowstuff pads... Perfect!
Won't ever buy ebc products utter rubbish.

i wouldn't use them as cannon fodder either!
ideally ferrodo ds2500's with brembo max discs for the ideal fast road and occasional track day / competitition. although the brembo HC discs (around 30 pounds x2 fronts) will be just fine though to be honest. for a raw competition choice though, should you really want to go for it and never once even spend a moment thinking about your brakes (which will happen when using ds2500s = very very fadey when pushed to the limit with constant late as physically possible braking) you can opt for carbon lorraine RC6 pads but it's really up to you.

the clio and twingo rally cars generally use pagid racing blue pads and sometimes CL RC6. i'd say ds2500's + HC discs will be ample

oscar":2qiqe45p said:
mrbushrat":2qiqe45p said:
MarcRS":2qiqe45p said:
EBC Ultimax with Yellowstuff pads... Perfect!
Won't ever buy ebc products utter rubbish.

i wouldn't use them as cannon fodder either!
ideally ferrodo ds2500's with brembo max discs for the ideal fast road and occasional track day / competitition. although the brembo HC discs (around 30 pounds x2 fronts) will be just fine though to be honest. for a raw competition choice though, should you really want to go for it and never once even spend a moment thinking about your brakes (which will happen when using ds2500s = very very fadey when pushed to the limit with constant late as physically possible braking) you can opt for carbon lorraine RC6 pads but it's really up to you.

the clio and twingo rally cars generally use pagid racing blue pads and sometimes CL RC6. i'd say ds2500's + HC discs will be ample
Cheers.

mwalsh":53u5kgw2 said:
300mm discs ;) DS 2500/3000

an extra 20mm won't make any difference as a ratio to weight, tailored in with the limitations on your tyre capabilities and the ABS system! if you remove the ABS system and throw on full track slicks, that extra 20mm may make a very small difference but you'd be hard pushed to notice it.

oscar":1yji1z56 said:
orzo":1yji1z56 said:
Anyone know the item number of brembos HC discs for twingo rs?

brembo part # 09.8137.24

I have brembo part # 09.8137.76 i bought in brembo factory, better or worse?
Braided brake hoses makes better response or minimal changes on everyday drive?

madmatt":23bnapbm said:
M-Tec Performance discs and OMP Road + Sport Pads.

they are just rebranded cheap mintex oe pads lol

Pick a good brand of discs and you will be assured that the composition of both discs are the same. Some cheaper brands simply dont have the same controls so you may find one side seems wear quicker than the other or worse.

We stick primarily with Brembo plain HC discs as simply for the money theres not anything better. Drilled and grooved discs are mostly for show but they cost so much more its hardly worth the extra. Drilled discs simply will not last as long. The expansion and contraction as they get hot and cold causes them to crack. Grooved discs are good for recovering a glazed over pad, but if you choose the right compound this should never happen.

If the car is only used for an occassional spirited drive then just fit oe pads. Cheap, cheerful and they do the job. If you like to hit those country lanes then Ferodo DS2500 or Mintex M1144.

Out on track, you might need something which copes with higher temperatures. My favourites are the CL brakes range. RC5+ if you drive to track, RC6 if a pure racecar. I dont think theres another product that has the consistency across a broad temperature range so you can hammer into the corners without worrying whether your brakes are up to temp (just your tyres instead)
With a decent suspension setup to control weight transfer I cannot see many needing better than this, although if we head towards fancy tyres and suspension then bigger discs and fancy calipers start to make sense.

How is the pad life of the RC5+ compared to the Brembo OEM pads?

My car is used as a daily with the occasional "Hammer Time" drive and visit to the Nurburgring. I will not be attending trackdays on a weekly base, so they should be long lasting without them having to be heated up every time I go for my drive to work.

And I read on the website that the 4042 pad will not fit the Twingo caliper, is that why there's a 4042/2?

Forza":1il03ogr said:
How is the pad life of the RC5+ compared to the Brembo OEM pads?

My car is used as a daily with the occasional "Hammer Time" drive and visit to the Nurburgring. I will not be attending trackdays on a weekly base, so they should be long lasting without them having to be heated up every time I go for my drive to work.

And I read on the website that the 4042 pad will not fit the Twingo caliper, is that why there's a 4042/2?

the life of these pads are crap in comparison to the brembo oem pad, for obvious reasons. one is for road, the other is for track! although that's not to say the RC5+ is horrific. for what it's worth, the ferodo ds2500 pad poos all over the RC5. you can sign up to cliosport.net and see the amount of clio track guys who use ferodo, and you'll notice that not many of the clio track guys use RC5's. however, the RC6 is a fantastic full on track pad and i'd rate that pad much higher than i would the equivelant ferodo.

Ferodo DS2500 is a great 'fast road' pad, although strictly it's supposed to be for track :D

I have on mine a nice set of Brembo Disks and Ferodo Pads, all supplied from Kam, and well ask Brad on here how they feel as compared to standard... No comparison, and most know my driving is "spirited"

I didn't change them in the end. As when I looked at the bads and discs were fine. I have some brembo discs and some oem pads but may uprate the pads when I do change them. My driving style is very fluid so tend not to use the middle peddle much. I may go with mintex 1144 as I use them in the rally car.