How often do you change your car?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pritchp

Reaction score
As per the title really, how often do you change your car?

so far i've changed my cars every 10 months - 1 year, however this year i won't be changing it (first time for everything right).

been driving since for around 7 years
owned 11 cars (just mine not the wifes)

so about 7 1/2 months ish per car if an average

Theres no set rhyme or reason as to when I change are car really.

The least amount of time I have owned a car was 3 weeks (EP2 civic)
The most amount of time I have owned a car was 2 1/2 years (Alfa 156)

Ive owned 3 cars in 3 years driving (although i did own 2 cars when i didnt even have a licence) sold one of my 2 cars and kept the wrong damn car! had my old corsa for 18 months (it broke every month, Cat C and clocked), had the GT for 18 months :D

Current ratio, about every 4 years. Though I do sometimes get the urge, I'm quite good at staying put so far

about every year- mine seem to meet a rather grizzly end either after or before i sell them.

first car - cat B right off after I sold it (v reg clio 1.2)
second car - saxo went to the scrappers as it broke spectacularly
second clio - crashed into a fiesta then sold with a big dent in (at a profit! )
third clio - got shunted by a lorry on the motorway! that was fun :p

twingo is 6 months overdue for something bad to happen to it.

hmm...no real pattern for me. Never had a bump/Crash...all just got bored with and sold (except the toyota, scrapped that)
1st Car - 1996 Toyota Carina CD 1.6 piece of C**p (6 months) (passed my test in it somehow, blown headgasket)
2nd Car - 1976 1.2 VW beetle (3 years)
3rd Car - 2009 VW Golf 1.4 TSI (2 years) (Daily while i had the beetle)
3rd Car - 1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (1 year)
4th Car - Silverstone 133 almost had it a year and still feel i need something with more acceleration xD

Not really changed by my own accord....

1st Car - Rover 25 1.4 Impression (the lightweight one with wind up windows, no A/C or ABS ;) )
Crashed through a fence and tree after 2 weeks of passing my test :oops: Pulled out and replaced windscreen.
Blew headgasket spectacularly and scrapped.
8 months.

2nd Car - Nissan Almera 1.8 Sport+
Alternator belt went pop the day I bought it driving it home from Durham.
Radio had a mind of it's own with turning up and changing channel.
Lost the back end on the motorway coming round a bend at 70 in the wet. Bumped over the embankment side barrier, hit lampost in Mid Air...RIP
8 Months

3rd Car - Citroen C2 1.6 GT
MAP Sensor went - £130 to fix.
Clutch and Gearbox went - £800 to fix.
Traded for Twingo.
8 Months

4th Car - Renault Twingo 1.6 Renaultsport
Ignition ECU shorted - Fixed Under Warranty
Shunted up rear damaging boot lid, boot floor, slam panel, bumper - Fixed Under Insurance
Ball Joints Going/Gone - Fixed Under Warranty
3 years down, 2 to go...

I got my first car in 2000 and kept my first three cars for between 18 months - 2 years.

Then I bought my Megane 225 in 2006 which I still have so that's 6 1/2 years all in.

The runabouts I've had since owning the Megane I've kept for 18 months - 2 years as well. Still got the Gordini 133 after 2 years and no intention of selling it.

Haha the Gordini has about 1,100 miles on it! Megane has 3,200 on it and the Clio has just under 57k on it. lol

You have done 500 miles per year on both the Dini and the 225? Fair play! i would never be able to resist using them as much as i could

To be honest half of it comes down to making the time to use them. Admittedly neither go out in the rain, the Megane is summer only, the 'dini is minimal in winter anyway. I commute by train so don't need the cars daily.

Thing is because of the little use I've had out of them I don't ever get bored of them as they never become 'normal' if that makes sense.

I always dread when this sort of thread comes up! Anyway, here goes,

1st car: Sept 2003, Hyundai Getz 1.1 GSi, Yellow, Ex-Demonstrator (commence laughter in, 3, 2, 1...)

2nd car: Sept 2008, Renault Twingo RS133! Blue, Ex-Demonstrator.

3rd car: June 2012, Renault Clio RS200. Black, Used.

Now I'm settled in my job and my house, I'm planning to renew cars much more often. Also keep looking at modern classics!

Martin.

Average 2-3 years.

1985 - Citroen GS Pallas
1986 - FSO 125P
1990 - Citroen AX GT
1993 - Ford Orion 1.6
1995 - Hyundai Sonata
1998 - Rover 214
2000 - Ford Focus 1.8
2002 - Ford Mondeo 1.8
2004 - Citroen C2 VTS
2007 - Citroen C2 Code
2010 - Renault Twingo 133
2013 - ?????

From now on, mine will be a 3 year cycle due to being a company car. Guaranteed brand new one every 3 years though :D

2008 - Saxo 1.1 (First Car)
2008 - RS Twingo 133
2011 - RS Clio 200
2012 - Megane GTline (Company car)

I've managed close to 100 vehicles in the past 30 years - though I have more than one at a time (but am not a dealer).

I currently have one bike that I've had for 17 years, another that has been with me for 11 years next month, one that is now over 9 years old, and a couple that are 7 - so I've slowed down. I have bought two at a time on more than one occasion, and have owned one car twice, and one bike 3 times (before part-exing it for a newer model of the same).

The shortest that I have owned a vehicle was 21 hours (Mini Clubman, bought at 7.30pm, sold 4.30 the following day), others have lasted a few days. The longest I have owned a car was about 5 years - but after 3 years I gave it to my dad to use for a further 2.

Usually 2-3 years sometimes less!!

2004 - "54" Corsa C SXI 1.2 (still in family)
2005 - "55" Smart ForTwo 450 (sold to my mother)
2007 - "57" Smart ForTwo 451 (part ex'd for RS)
2010 - "60" RS 133 Gordini

Ok I think the RS is a keeper but I shall buy a bike soon, and maybe a little cheap run about for leaving wherever, and being less precious about!