How to loose 10Kg from your 133.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordysportracing

Reaction score
found this while poking around my 133:

IMAG0706.jpg

10kg of Iron!! I assume its to balance the driver on LHD cars but forgot to move it over. Held on by 1!! 13mm bolt on the drivers chassis leg.

It is here because it is meant to catch all the rust that normally the rest of the car would catch. There is one in every car.

It doesn't balance anything, it just allows your car to stay in one piece and not rust like heel in a couple of winters...

My advice : lose weight on yourself if you can, and put this back in asap!

yotah1":auxbdg8u said:
It is here because it is meant to catch all the rust that normally the rest of the car would catch. There is one in every car.

It doesn't balance anything, it just allows your car to stay in one piece and not rust like heel in a couple of winters...

Yes but on the twingo there is also one of those behind the dash aswell. Tbh for my purposes I am binning the 10kg tbh. and one of them is painted so that one must be some other purpose. I thought for the track orientated people they would bin it aswell, not like the twingo is notorious for rusting out.

Out of the 3 Twingo's I have its only the 133 that has this sacrificial metal.

how you remove it?
is it on the right of the car next the distribution chain?
because in french car it's there

where is the one on the dash ?

i know there is an other big one in the bottom on the engine , but i will not remove it cause seem's to be involve in the colision system

i also heard this one is for eleminating vibration

i don't know if it's remove from race car

treslest.jpg

you can see the both iron part

wich one is it?

Jordysport":2poacbuq said:
10kg of Iron!! I assume its to balance the driver on LHD cars but forgot to move it over. Held on by 1!! 13mm bolt on the drivers chassis leg.

Whereabouts is it on the chassis leg? Under the bonnet or underside of car?

yotah1":2poacbuq said:
It is here because it is meant to catch all the rust that normally the rest of the car would catch.

I thought sacrificial parts were usually Zinc? or am I thinking of boats and subs? :lol:

mazmaz":1reerill said:
how you remove it?
is it on the right of the car next the distribution chain?
because in french car it's there

where is the one on the dash ?

i know there is an other big one in the bottom on the engine , but i will not remove it cause seem's to be involve in the colision system

i also heard this one is for eleminating vibration

i don't know if it's remove from race car

treslest.jpg

you can see the both iron part

wich one is it?

Your picture is correct, thats where it is, its not to do with collision system the chassis leg can take enough. the iron part is 7kg the painted part is 3kg.

The one behind the dash is above the steering column

thanks for the information

are they hard to remove ?

i will look for the one behind the dash

but with the direction in the opposite on french cars perhaps it's not there... i'll take a look

Interesting thread this is.

From my limited knowledge of cp surely that can't be more noble than the car? Also if it was designed to protect the car from rust how does it work, as does it not need to complete a circuit like an anode and be submerged in something?

Not that I'm saying anyone is right or wrong or trying to start an arguement, just find it interesting if it is for anti corrosion and how it would work.

the thing is that why put it only on the 133 and not GT's or Gordini's of same & newer age, its like saying they think the 133 is more suceptable to rusting out!

Jordysport":75f7m4oq said:
the thing is that why put it only on the 133 and not GT's or Gordini's of same & newer age, its like saying they think the 133 is more suceptable to rusting out!
My Dini has the blocks in the engine bay. Just had a quick peek at the new 1.2 and theres definately a rusty looking block at the r/h front corner.

So thats 133 from 2011 and 1.2 from 2012 covered ;)

2010 Twingo 133: Has it
2011 Twingo 1.2 TCE Gordini: Has not got it
2011 Twingo 1.2 TCE Gordini: Has not got it
2008 Twingo 1.2 TCE GT: Has not got it.

checked all my cars

Can someone explain how it stops the car rusting please. I'm perplexed by this!

As for losing 10kg, you just need one of these :

vindaloo.jpeg

plus a few of these :

beer.jpg

And by the next morning your will be a lot lighter!! haha

2009 1.2 extreme appears to have it. good! 'cos iv'e had no end of trouble with rust on my old renaults.

if it's just for rust i remove it

but i think it's for vibration

anyone have the picture of the one behind the dashboard?

yotah1":28kh0et7 said:

Can you let me know where you heard this? :? You have talked a lot of sense on other threads, which is probably why your statement has carried so much weight on this thread, but the idea of cahodically protecting the bodywork of a car with sacrificial anodes seems wrong to me. Firstly, you would need to use Zinc or Manganese really - using the same metal doesn't work, and in addition there would be no reason to use such a heavy anode.
I would also query a film of water being sufficent electrolyte to make it happen.

I think they are damper weights to avoid certain frequencies on the car. Manufacturers do not add weight for the fun or if, so I would be very cautious about removing any of them unless in a race environment.

Any chance that someone can look up their description on the parts computer?

I agree with your idea of the driver losing weight though. :cool:

Can't explain it, just know that Opel puts them in the cars too for that reason, and engineers complain frequently about it, and as many other things in car industry, i doubt Renault puts it in for fun, so i pretty much assume that they have the same role.

As far as how it works, from what i understood, it is untreated and unprotected metal, which then is keener to corroding than the rest of the car and apparently corrosion starts where it's the easiest so it basically means that until all that big block is corroded, the rest of the car will be corrosion free.

As for the "vibration absorber", i'm the one who's gonna need an explanation as to how a big solid block of metal can absorb vibrations, because last time i checked, if i knock on metal, it does resonate...