How to loose 10Kg from your 133.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yotah1":2iidhb0o said:
Can't explain it, just know that Opel puts them in the cars too for that reason, and engineers complain frequently about it, and as many other things in car industry, i doubt Renault puts it in for fun, so i pretty much assume that they have the same role.

As far as how it works, from what i understood, it is untreated and unprotected metal, which then is keener to corroding than the rest of the car and apparently corrosion starts where it's the easiest so it basically means that until all that big block is corroded, the rest of the car will be corrosion free.

As for the "vibration absorber", i'm the one who's gonna need an explanation as to how a big solid block of metal can absorb vibrations, because last time i checked, if i knock on metal, it does resonate...
that would reduce the harmonic frequency of the right hand chassis leg, but not the left one, so of little damping use.

For CP to work, there needs to be an area that can be the sacrificial part. Being as the chassis is dip coated, there needs to be an additional bolt in piece that is unprotected..

Jordy. Have your GT's been repaired?

My 2011 Dynamique has this installed and from studying mechanical engineering I agree with yotah on this one, they are placed in a prime position for rust to start where salt and road grime and water hit on a very regular basis; this block helps the rust begin its cycle on a part of the car that serves no purpose other than to attract the iron particles rather than starting on the chassis where for obvious reasons would not be a bright idea! by the time the rust tracks its way around the whole block the car will probably be on its last legs

singlespeed":3b0d650s said:
yotah1":3b0d650s said:
Can't explain it, just know that Opel puts them in the cars too for that reason, and engineers complain frequently about it, and as many other things in car industry, i doubt Renault puts it in for fun, so i pretty much assume that they have the same role.

As far as how it works, from what i understood, it is untreated and unprotected metal, which then is keener to corroding than the rest of the car and apparently corrosion starts where it's the easiest so it basically means that until all that big block is corroded, the rest of the car will be corrosion free.

As for the "vibration absorber", i'm the one who's gonna need an explanation as to how a big solid block of metal can absorb vibrations, because last time i checked, if i knock on metal, it does resonate...
that would reduce the harmonic frequency of the right hand chassis leg, but not the left one, so of little damping use.

For CP to work, there needs to be an area that can be the sacrificial part. Being as the chassis is dip coated, there needs to be an additional bolt in piece that is unprotected..

One of his gordini GT's 1.2 had a front end smash not sure on the others

yotah1":v23qachj said:

Adding weight in certain areas will alter the natural frequency of components in the car and the natural frequency of the damper, but i doubt that is the case as the Dvrs side has more weight than the passenger generally for RHD cars.

I got karl to put in the part numbers into the system when i was at SMC last and it came up with nothing!

Motorsport Engineer

holliedynamique":3j3l4btp said:
singlespeed":3j3l4btp said:
yotah1":3j3l4btp said:

One of his gordini GT's 1.2 had a front end smash not sure on the others

One is in the bodyshop for spraying on Tuesday
One is on the Jig on Tuesday
One is having some "tuning" done to it.

singlespeed":11mdi3bj said:
On the contrary, the idea would not be to make the whole of the car vibrate at an alternative frequency, but to have different parts resonating at different times.

holliedynamique":11mdi3bj said:
....they are placed in a prime position for rust to start where salt and road grime and water hit on a very regular basis;
How about the other one, behind the dash? :?

Also, why a solid cast block, and not a box or sheet? Surely that would increase surface area?

A solid block has more area for rust to Creep as it will cut through metals it would not simply lay on the outer surface as far as I'm aware; as for the one in the dash im not too sure but there is a lot of moisture held within the cockpit of a car, ever changing temperatures and at rapid rates hot to cold, moisture when we breath out; this all can get stored underneath areas such as the dash and so could be there as a precaution as rust starts in the most bizzare of places!

So, if they are looking for an anode with the best properties, why didn't they use zinc? No reason to put a large part in, as it could be made a service item.

Araf":3vprk820 said:
So, if they are looking for an anode with the best properties, why didn't they use zinc? No reason to put a large part in, as it could be made a service item.

because its a renault? :)

money saving measures wherever they can, mine didn't even have a boot light, now that's just tight :p

The black one is full painted

So IT IS not for rust

and it's call "acoustic masse" on the part (read somewhere can't find it again)
si must be to avoid engine vibration

the unpainted one is the one that must be for the rust

anyone have a picture from the one in the dash?

mazmaz":3klw8cgv said:
The black one is full painted

So IT IS not for rust

and it's call "acoustic masse" on the part (read somewhere can't find it again)

the unpainted one must be for the rust

anyone have a picture from the one in the dash?
the painted one is directly under the engine mounting so reducing vibration is certainly possible for its intended function.

still nobody have picture of the weight in the dashboard?
don't want to dismantle everything and don't found it ^^ (or realise it can't be remove)

Dashboard is in plastic
can you teach me how plastic can rust lol ?

and even it plastic can rust, in my place it's sunny and dry. Rusting it's not something that happen to car here :)

It's not protecting the plastic. The plastic is protecting you from smashing your face up on the metal :lol:

Fair enough, but in most climates its necessary. You mean it never rains?

few rain and never snow so no salt on road

so at a time the rust will be entering the dashboard's side, there will be no more oil on earth

I've removed my entire dash when I worked on the car in March, and there's no such part (at least not in mine) in the inside of the car, maybe specific to UK cars with RHD?