Japanese Underbraces

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were fitted to a Special Edition Twingo in Japan and there's no harm in trying to tighten up the chassis a bit and make it a bit more focused on the track etc.

They're very much the same idea as Cusco underbraces and the Monster Sport Braces on the Suzuki Sport S1600 Rally Cars.

gsidave":kjqgfwez said:
I work for Peugeot our cc models have these sort of braces fitted to stiffener up the chassis. I admire your dedication but generally normall cars dont need that level of bracing.
ALL cars need stiffening if they're gonna be used on track. If it's purely road use then maybe not but I'd rather have an awesome chassis than more power.

Agreed if your gonna go on track/ racing etc. But how many cars do end up on track ?

by the looks of things, quite a few 133's after FCS hehe.
least it looks like it can be done easily for all 3 models of the twingo and quite cheapish to, 100 for mild steel, 160 odd stainless 350 titanium lol. most likely the middle option.
with the other braces the Japs put on i could see holes in the underbody but no bolt holes. either they've threaded these holes or drilled and threaded new ones where needed.

gsidave":18emmlyg said:
Agreed if your gonna go on track/ racing etc. But how many cars do end up on track ?
All mine have (4)....... Hence why I'm paying special interest in this thread.

might of said this in blog but if car has to go i will get one made at least but not sell it with the car, from there i would mail it onto steve or another member going to FCS to show it bolted onto the car and if there going on track hopefully it'll shine. if the cars kept hopefully i'll get 3 made before the show and see if people would want to run with it on.
still trying to work a way around the undertray problem as im guessing not every one would want a carbon splitter as they are quite costly and im not sure a lowered 133 will be able to attack high speed bumps. the trays plastic is quite flexible so maybe the brace would just bend the centre section/any raised parts slightly in and sandwich it against the mouth/engine at the bottem. got quite a bit of fibre glass left over so thinking a might be able to make a thinner,stronger and smoother undertray then stock. i really dont want to run this myself without a tray.
people interested in this subject and looking at the jab design, would you prefer
- the design i marked out above covering the engine bay jap
- the Jap on of being at the end of the bay and slightly under the the drivers opposition (im pretty sure i can find out where the last bar bolts into)
- best of both and combien the 2 as the Jap one would just continue from the first brace in one solid welded piece
?

I'd say BOBW, but that would obviously reflect on the cost.
Ignore me if I'm being a dumbass here, but....why do you need an undertray??
They've done nothing but annoy me whenever I drop a spanner etc :lol:

i get worried over driving over can object and it coming back up and hitting the underside of the engine, plastic bag wrapping up on the drive shaft etc. could be me just over thinking things.

when i saw pro-speed they were keen and said all the undercar bracing including the back pieces could be done uner 200 quid in stainless steel. spent 13.99 at halfords for primer and paint and your all good :D

Loads of cars don't come with undershields, it's more of an aerodynamics thing for emissions. the whole of the underside of my BMW is covered in them to reduce the tax bracket. Ditch them and save weight.

Mr_Ben":1mmd02v8 said:
What about the boot brace?

boot brace? as in under the car, or above?

havent looked into the back end under neath but as we can see the Japs just use to single bars going across, not a fan of that and would prefer a solid X piece and will look if theres any mounthing points

as for above i could get C piller braces made where the rear belts are attached to and can come down the to bolts at the end of the boot to mount it to the bodywork and more rigidity. thought of doing an X brass that civics seem to like but would seem like a pain to put in and removed if it was a one piece with the the rear strut brace.

for the middle of the car was looking at having a lower b piller brace made. bolt onto the lower front passenger seat belts and snake cross the floor plan to the other side with a small rice in the middle for the tunnel. rather put this in then a bar underneath the car as it can be seen and my sports cat is in the damn way. lol.

would love a full 10-12 point roll cage that bolts onto the turrets both ends and stabilises weak points in the shell and chassis but got quoted a few Gs :(. looks like braces on pillers and underneath on the chassis will do nicely long with a 6 point cage in future. as i've seen interest for at least the underside of the car i will press on with designs, checking with pro-speed if it can be done and costs and save some founding for it to be done at least before FCS or for some of the RenSports track days

No it's a boot brace goes in the boot hence why I said boot brace.

sorry mate, havent heard of a boot brace before. thought rear strut and c-pillar brace would do the trick but googled it and saw quite a lot.

https://www.ek9.org/forum/general-chat/24009-pics-your-rear-strut-brace-please-2.html

might end up getting them to do this set up, c-pillar with the boot brace like you said and maybe link them at each end together.

just relooked at Jap ones and saw there effort at a boot brace with is just a sort bar screwed on to the back doing nothing :(

another way im guessing it could be done is like the boot brace 2/3rds of the way done incorperating the rear strut brace and boot brace together.
https://bbs.scoobynet.com/trader-announcements-363/818320-summit-racing-strut-braces.html
dont have a lot of no-how on boot braces so input would be great, also found out keeping the car and can have the all the braces need made in May. that page above has some pretty sweet reinforced pretty bracing . lol

b-lower pillar will also be made a little like this, again if people are interested
https://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=458754

having a cup of tea and got board.
purples the bracem greens the engine block and gearbox parts, light blue the frame. many things off with the model but im too lazy to sort it all out, including the poor lighting lol

brace3d1.jpg

brace3d2.jpg

brace3d.jpg

orb top marks fella! :cool:

just an idea but i know the wind is basically a twingo and has alot of under car bracing due to neededing to meet ncap cc regs,hold the car together etc so could you not just fit the braces from a wind to your 133's??

i know they have at least three rear chassis braces which im sure would stiffen the rear up alot.nxt time i get one up il get some pics!

TURBO":2ah0v9g6 said:
orb top marks fella! :cool:

just an idea but i know the wind is basically a twingo and has alot of under car bracing due to neededing to meet ncap cc regs,hold the car together etc so could you not just fit the braces from a wind to your 133's??

i know they have at least three rear chassis braces which im sure would stiffen the rear up alot.nxt time i get one up il get some pics!

*packs bags and walks off never to be seen again* HAHA, mate that does make a lot of sense and would have a lot a hassle and hats off for the thought.

next section is the triangle flat plated behind the front frame, no idea what its called but seen a lot of aftermartet ditch it and replace with a box tube disign for extra strength rather then using a flat plate *please someone tell me what its called lol*
brace3d3.jpg

brace3d4.jpg

next bit will be to blend in the Jap brace which goes between the above image and underneath the designed brace above

TURBO":3f0vztlg said:
oh u mean the renault "flat plate system" :p

if its the bits in the red;
image3.jpg

then flat plates they shall be called :)

jap braces added to the package
brace3d6.jpg

brace3d5.jpg

exhaust tunnel added. as you can see from your own, my thread pics and this model exhaust is a tight of a squeeze. hopefully adding the tunnel will make the model a bit more eye pleasing. need to redo the plate mounts more to scale and ship but thats the hole idea im going for. looking through google most cars have there aftermarket plates done in boxes/tubes joined together but i though the addition of the Jap brace makes up for it and the piece isnt massive and can order what is needed. if i have time this week i could get them to rough size and wieght the models to gain how much they would weigh but that will take some serious work and i dont mind putting a few pounds for a stiff chassis
brace3d7.jpg

brace3d8.jpg

brace3d8texture.jpg

im thinking the 2nd row bar in the first brace section maybe over kill??

I thought the second bar was to allow a bend point to the front brace.

EDIT: By Renault Flat plate system, are you meaning the pressed steel sections?

These models are looking sh*t hot Orb, good work :)

M