Leaking scuttle panel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had water leak issues?

• 1. RS133 plugs/coils replaced or actualy corroded due to this.

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • 2. RS133 Water marks around coils/plug recess but not investigated further.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • 3. RS133 with no evidence of water leak

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 4. 1.2 Throttle body has been replaced due to water damage

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 5. 1.2 with watermarks around throttle body

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 6. 1.2 with no evidence of water leak

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
Just checked mine again and it doesn't look great under there. Will be sure to have this checked and reported along with a couple of other things.

I have just washed the car.

I put some paper towel above far right coil to see if it ended up wet

I must admit i do give the windscreen scuttle a damn good hosing, when i opened the bonnet it was wet,however my drip seem to be coming from the riveted part directly above the throttle body andjust behind the battery.

I have tightened the screws up, cleaned up the rubber seal and taped over the rivet before putting the seal back on.

Will get plugs and coils checked by garage.

Another point, has anyone else noticed how wet the front of the engine gets from the leading edge of the bonnet!

I was wondering if a seal has been removed from mine?

maggi112":34leji9x said:
Make sure you raise this directly with Renault uk and don't just let the garage do it. We must make sure it's acknowledged

Ok matey :)

My car only goes to renault.
Do i have to report it direct to renault customer services? Or will the dealer do this upon investigation

Yes mine also gets wet there but it doesn't actually affect anything when i looked.

Directly with Renault. Book it in with the garage then call Renault uk customer services and inform them it's going in. They should contact the garage and keep you up to date with everything, but importantly we can get this recognised as a fault.

I dealt with hayley ward. Perhaps if you ask to speak to her she will know as she dealt with Mine and these can all be put together by Renault

I gave my car a full service yesterday and found the same problem Witt the coil and plug

Right, now seeing as it has rained most of the day before leaving work I checked the engine bay to see if anything had leaked.

There was no sign of water from the joint/rivet areas of the scuttle.

HOWEVER, the far left (lookin from front of car) wiper spindle which sits almost central in the scuttle was leaking rain through and dripping on to the back of the engine.
Of course once you start moving it shakes about and drips of when going round corners.

Once I got home I checked the car and everything was nice and dry due to the heat in the bay.
Another thing to get Renault to look at.
This is a piss poor design compared to the Clio 182, (wipers on the clio are behind the bulkhead so cant leak onto your engine)

My dealer's 38 miles away, I have a Renault garage local to work, but I'd rather travel if you know what I mean.

Hi all,

Thought I'd share my experience too (was directed to this post by Karl, thanks).

58 plate 133 with about 20k omn the clock, had the spanner light and that toxic fume sensor light come on and the engine went into misfire/limp mode. It happened in the last week of my warrenty, took it to my dads garage and he decided to check it out instead of booking it in.

It was found to be a problem the problem thats been described here, water dripping onto and around that coil/spark plug directly under. Only the one coil and all spark plugs were changed which sorted the problem and the panel joint was sealed with some kind of putty.

The other day, the same problem arose so went back to my dad, the remaining 3 coils were changed and I saw one had water damage but didnt know which bank it was, think it was the next one in line from the last though. The mechanic pointed out on this occasion that the car should have come with a rubber fitting that runs along the scuttle panel and having compared pictures from this forum, including the one in this post, i definately dont have this fitting.

T G. I was going to say welcome, but it looks like you have been here way longer than me :oops:

Thanks for the update as its more evidence the fault isn't an isolated issue ;) Were Renault involved?

Not that much longer than yourself, i've just been a floater, odd reading/contributing here and there. Not much of a tinkerer me.

Renault were initially involved just before the first coil failure actually as i did take it to Renault dealers where i bought it from, Park Royal West London. When i got there, the warning lights had switched themselves off and the car was behaving itself. I explained the problem and they used the diagnostics machine and found nothing, took my money as they found no problem and off i went. It was only after a month or so after this visit when the issue became terminal and thats when my dad took it upon himself to just replace the coil instead of the hassle of going back to Renault (he keeps spares at his garage due to it being a common issue with Renaults).

Why is it the cars that have the faults seem to also pack so much character, I still really like my 133 until it totally packs up on me lol.

Mine may be on the way out, well if being a B***h to start is one of the early signs... Little corrosion on the top of the coil under the join!!

I will when I have some more time fella, as you probably guessed by my lack of presence its been a bit busy

t_g_133":2gw6x655 said:
had the spanner light and that toxic fume sensor light come on and the engine went into misfire/limp mode.

Doubt this is the coils, sounds more like what I had when the oxygen censor went.
Took it to the garage and they sorted it straight away.
I'm one of the few lucky ones who's coils are perfect and scuttle panel has been fitted properly

Caz-133cup":2oxzlat8 said:
t_g_133":2oxzlat8 said:
had the spanner light and that toxic fume sensor light come on and the engine went into misfire/limp mode.

Doubt this is the coils, sounds more like what I had when the oxygen censor went.
Took it to the garage and they sorted it straight away.
I'm one of the few lucky ones who's coils are perfect and scuttle panel has been fitted properly

Erm do you not recall mine doing exactly that!

Yes it could be the coils. It could also be the lamda sensor