Leaking scuttle panel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had water leak issues?

• 1. RS133 plugs/coils replaced or actualy corroded due to this.

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • 2. RS133 Water marks around coils/plug recess but not investigated further.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • 3. RS133 with no evidence of water leak

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 4. 1.2 Throttle body has been replaced due to water damage

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 5. 1.2 with watermarks around throttle body

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 6. 1.2 with no evidence of water leak

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
Ok, so the car is booked in next week at Renault and I've reported this to RUK customer services.
The guy I spoke to on the phone this morning is catching up with Hayley Ward to discuss how other peoples car have been dealt with and resolved.

I had half an hour on the phone to Rob, nice bloke, early indications are that RUK have stepped up their focus on customer services somewhat.

I felt very reassured that this will be dealt with in a prompt manner.
If the garage care as much as he seemed to care then all will be good. Fingers crossed.

He is going to contact the garage prior to next weeks appointment and keep in touch with them during the day when my cars there to see what the diagnosis is and the solution.

I mentioned that I use the Twingo133, MyRenault, Renaultsport, Cliosport forums, and I think this may have prompted a pricking up of the ears for RUK, as they obviously dont want people slagging them off all over the interweb.

I hope I can post up a favourable response in a few days time.

RUK seemed to care, but renault watford just threw all that away. Then the lack of communication, and the 'it's not a fault across the range' just ruined all the earlier efforts.

RUK acutally sent me a text to ask if I've booked it in yet, but unfortunately I worked 11 hours each day this week in the office and am likely to do the same today so no chance of booking it in as of yet since SMC are about 40 mins away.

Thats a shame :(

We'll see what the new dealership is like, I've been before for an MOT but not service/warranty.

Mines a 60 plate, so its well within warranty, only done 10k.
In 23 years of driving I've never had a car that leaks rainwater INTO the engine bay.

The idea was posted in carbonfanatics thread earlier about a carbon engine cover to negate the possibility of this problem, but was put off to future for now. Perhaps if there was lots of interest this might change and we'd all have cool carbon covers :ugeek:

Just posting up on last weeks events.
Car went into Renault at Mansfield, as my local dealer has closed.

Manfield Franchise has now gone (which they didnt tell me when I booked it in) and is in process of being replaced by Hyundai. Just doing Renault servicing now.

Dropped car off early doors, they said it would be ready at 3pm.
Phoned at 3pm, checked, car ready - they confirmed that it was leaking water through the scuttle panel. Surprise surprise, thats what I told them. I didnt need them to tell me I was right. However they didnt remove the blue masking tape that I put over the leaking rivets, so I'm guessing they are lazy.

RUK dont have a fix for this at the moment, so they would need to have the car back for " a few days ". :roll:

I asked them to check the coils and plugs for signs of corrosion which they said they did. :?
Popped bonnet open today when I found the tape hadnt been removed, but look what else I found..... :x
Coilpack2.jpg

Wonder where this belongs......
Answers on a postcard please :roll:

...oooh, I'll have a guess, maybe here.
Coilpack3.jpg

Fitted, dont know what torque or whatever, or whether it should be copper greased, but its better fitted like this than not at all
Coilpack6.jpg

Heres a pic of the throttle body area whether the water was dripping before taping up.
Coilpack4.jpg

What a useless bunch of six fingered inbreds.
Needless to say it wont be going back there.

I'll be on the blower to Rob @ RUK in the morning and the service manager to tell him this is unacceptable.
Which it is.
Totally unacceptable.

Just as well I wasnt having tyres on.

oh yes, filling 4 holes with 4 bolts is a difficult one :(

what was the verdict on the coils/ plugs?

That was some shoddy work.

Know it's a trek but I moved my business from Nottingham over to Smiths Peterborough and they've always done a very good job.

singlespeed":qd78vu79 said:

Well, I asked for photographic evidence that the coils/plugs were not corroded, which they failed to provide me with, but apparently they have sent some photos to RUK.

They said plugs/coils were fine. At least I know they did actually check them due to the missing bolt.
I dont know how much of a job it is to remove these myself.

I'm thinking of removing the scuttle/wiper arms/ and sealing the wiper spindle washers or gromits.
Anyone know if there's a guide anywhere and is it an involved job?

DrDrew":hvx62fit said:
That was some shoddy work.

Know it's a trek but I moved my business from Nottingham over to Smiths Peterborough and they've always done a very good job.

I kicked myself when I picked the car up because I've heard good things about Smiths.
They used to be one of the approved Renaultsport dealers iirc.

It was a toss up, Wests Renault or Smiths Peterborough, but I'd have to have a day off to get it down there and pick it back up....

..or take it to the most convenient.
The customer service was rubbish too, one woman on reception manning phones for Suzuki/Hyundai/Renault, at same time as trying to serve customers waiting patiently to collect their cars from service.

As no-one has a fix for this problem yet, its a bit academic wasting my time taking it elsewhere.
I'll see what RUK say about it tomorrow.

singlespeed":1js1tptu said:

Is there any torque setting on the plug bolts Neil?
And is it worth putting some copper grease on the thread?

I havent got a torque wrench, but ftiw, can buy one from Halfords and check it, it would be cheaper than booking it in the garage, because I'm certainly not taking it back to Mansfield.

Bought it from Boston, probably should have taken it back there, though thats 40mile each way. :(

Undo it, unclip it and pull it out to check. Tbh I'd check that one and assuming its good no bother with the rest.

When putting it back it'll pop/click when it goes back on. Then clip it in and screw it up.

not sure of a specified torque figure, but the bolt only holds the coil in place, unlike the rest of the neighbouring bolts which hold the rocker cover/cam caps in place.

The scuttle removal is covered in the lowering springs how to :)

JMR":1mi9kscj said:
I kicked myself when I picked the car up because I've heard good things about Smiths.
They used to be one of the approved Renaultsport dealers iirc.

Smith's are still an approved RS dealer

Thanks maggi, Neil, DrDrew, and poweller23.

Should I disconnect the battery when I unclip the coil?

Neil, was just browsing the "lowering springs" how to thread. Cheers.
Wonder how many clips I can break.

Do you think its worth putting a bead of sealant along the scuttle?

It was been raining cats and dogs the past few days and today I noticed something when installing my cone filter.

Removed the OEM airbox and saw this:

dkCZYl.jpg

BHtEDl.jpg

Should I try and seal the scuttle panel myself with some glue?

Check the plugs?

Just booked mine in to get checked over at my local garage. Noticed lots of water this morning slightly behind the coil :(

Mines in next week....again.
After the debacle with the previous dealer, RUK have been in good contact with me by phone, text, mail, and theyve pre-arranged an inspection at another dealer which is local to me but I didnt even know about.

The case is on RUK's radar, and the Customer Service Manager will be following up with the garage afterwards, so theyve been asked, best attention please!

Be nice to find a decent proper Renault service garage.