My Cleaning Products

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twingogeekeo":2t91qss8 said:
Matt":2t91qss8 said:
Relax, it's not going to do any damage :) It goes on, soaks for a few mins then gets jet washed off followed by shampoo. It doesn't have a chance to damage paintwork.

All i say i have warned you ;)
Lol it won't damage the paintwork, have used it on all my cars and my families cars when cleaning and know plenty of people who will do the same. Diluted in a bucket of warm water makes it 0.1% fairy liquid... it won't damage the paint at all, especially at that solution.

Has anyone actually found proof of it damaging paint? All just myths mate...

regarding using fairy washing up liquid to clean your cars, i do have very conclusive evidence that it ruins your paint. About 4 years ago my old man bought a white VW golf which was a very nice car, he washed it every weekend using washing up liquid and for perhapss the first 2 years it all appeared to be ok. Then after a while, the paint started to lose all its shine. He still own the vehicle now and the paint has turned into an almost like um, sorta chalky finish like you see on old vans and caravans. Im quite into detailing and paint correction and can tell you its beyond correction. A full respray is needed... basically ruined.

For the sake of 8 quid, you may as well just get yourself a decent shampoo, i recomend ZYMOL.

mostin":35c9869y said:
regarding using fairy washing up liquid to clean your cars, i do have very conclusive evidence that it ruins your paint. About 4 years ago my old man bought a white VW golf which was a very nice car, he washed it every weekend using washing up liquid and for perhapss the first 2 years it all appeared to be ok. Then after a while, the paint started to lose all its shine. He still own the vehicle now and the paint has turned into an almost like um, sorta chalky finish like you see on old vans and caravans. Im quite into detailing and paint correction and can tell you its beyond correction. A full respray is needed... basically ruined.

For the sake of 8 quid, you may as well just get yourself a decent shampoo, i recomend ZYMOL.
Two points about this argument.
1) Older VW Golf, different paint + who knows what the previous owners used on it.
2) Using washing up liquid to clean it rather than to strip the wax - completely different.

My process (once every 6 months, plenty of washing between);
Jet wash
Washing up liquid (as stated 0.1% in bucket of warm water)
Shampoo
Jet wash
Clay
Shampoo
Jet wash
Dry
Polish
Sealant
Wax

yeah fair one mate in that little quantity i cant see it would do much harm. The old mad probably used shedloads and being that there was no wax on it coupled with the fact it had never been looked after very well, although he's adamant it was fairy liquid that ruined it. But for stripping wax purposes i can see your point, probably no worse than TFR.

Both arguments are right here. Regularly using washing up liquid to wash your car won't do a very good job and can certainly damage your paint. Very occasional use can be ok, I don't do it personally, but I can't see it doing any harm in Matt's case. The only other thing worth mentioning is that, in my opinion, there isn't an awful lot of point in stripping the wax.

I agree there isn't much point, especially when the clay/polish will do that. However, it's a good degreaser and helps to get it out of the way whilst removing loads of road grime. I could easily replace it with another APC or snow foam but don't see the point changing when this has worked for me :)

I can see the argument for the use of Fairy Liquid but I have heard many things regarding it's effect on paint and to be honest I wouldn't use it on my car. I've heard various things about it's acidity and salt contents, both things I'd rather avoid.

In terms of degreasing or stripping wax, simply a strong solution of shampoo such as Meguiars Gold Class will do exactly the same thing. Also, if it's part of a routine which involves claying and polishing then it's totally unecessary so for the sake of it potentially dulling the paint I'd leave it out altogether. :)