New alloys for my Silverstone?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordyb

Reaction score
Hey! I'm looking ahead to the future and hearing people having issues getting good prices on tyres for the cup alloys.

Has anyone got any ideas of new alloys that would suit the RS Silverstone?

Obviously I am wanting a different size so the tyres are cheaper and easier sourced.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great!
Ta

I would personally recommend going OEM+ (so available on a Renault at some point).

So:
Speedline Turini 16" - Come in Renault fit for 172 cups (16" 7J ET38) or 182 Trophy (16" 7J ET43).
Oz F1's 15" - Phase 1 172 fit (15" 7J ET 50) (iirc there is a Renault fitment in 16" but rare as f***) I'm not sure they fit over the caliper. I chickend out of buying the set I wanted
Clio 182 alloys - *what I've gone for* 16" 7J ET45.
172 alloys - Same as above (I'm not sure on the offset though). Bit of a different choice, never seen a set on a 133

I've gone for the 182's as above. Cheap enough, being refurbed and new tyres cheaper than a full set of conti sport contacts would cost in 195/40r17 and these are what I wanted. I've picked up contisport contact 3 in 195/45r16 for less than £60 and getting fitted at the same time inclusive. PLUS the offset will allow me to set the front even lower than cups. At least 1cm lower

As far as I'm aware the 15" OZ F1s that came on the ph1 172 have 195/45 15 tyres which can be picked up stupidly cheap.

Alternatively, what about Speedline 2118s? I got a Larkspeed catalogue through the post the other day and they were doing a wheel + tyre package on the 15" 2118s for about £650 iirc. Looks good on the Twingo too (just see Neil's Gordini)

Yeah, i want black alloys.

No offence, its all personal opinion. I'm not a fan of the 182 alloys on the Twingo. No offence! Soz!

And if I get either 16" or 15" alloys will that then mean I need to lower it! I don't have the funds for that!

Lordyb":2vd38fsw said:
Yeah, i want black alloys.

No offence, its all personal opinion. I'm not a fan of the 182 alloys on the Twingo. No offence! Soz!

And if I get either 16" or 15" alloys will that then mean I need to lower it! I don't have the funds for that!
With the 16's and 195/45/16, it would be just about the same as a non cupped spec. Even with 15's and a tyre of the same(simillar) diameter, lowering wouldn't be essential much like with the standard wheels its down to personal taste on arch gap/handling etc

Will I loose handling on smaller alloys and standard cup suspension!
Lots of questions, I no, but Im not very clued up on this topic! Lol

maggi112":c4u1uo4d said:
Oz F1's 15" - Phase 1 172 fit (15" 7J ET 43) I'm not sure they fit over the caliper. I chickend out of buying the set I wanted

They do fit, as I have them on my Wind. The Renault ones have a Renault centre bore, and are ET50. :)

Araf":u18cfbqa said:
maggi112":u18cfbqa said:
Oz F1's 15" - Phase 1 172 fit (15" 7J ET 43) I'm not sure they fit over the caliper. I chickend out of buying the set I wanted

They do fit, as I have them on my Wind. The Renault ones have a Renault centre bore, and are ET50. :)

Oh right. Then the thread I found on cs when looking was wrong! It was referenced in a sales thread I was looking at, and I checked it after posting.

I assume the wind runs the same front calipers then?
I wouldn't mind some still, but I'm happy with the new wheels. If some came up cheap enough I would get them though.
I love the look. Just the multifit look is a little off putting. Nothing that can't be sorted of course.

Never seen your wind on them?

Lordyb":3ok0u2nr said:
Will I loose handling on smaller alloys and standard cup suspension!
Lots of questions, I no, but Im not very clued up on this topic! Lol
Being as the 17's have a shallow side wall and the tyre is also slightly stretched onto the 7" wide rim, this gives a relatively stiff sidewall combination which will compromise comfort but give greater stability of the tyre on the rim and the amount of flex in the sidewall when cornering.

If you go with 15's you will need a taller profile side wall to keep the same overall diameter to keep the gearing the same. Theres some tyres with very stiff sidewalls (Yoko AD08 and Toyo R1R) which will minimise the flex but they will still probably flex more than the original size. Some tyres will have comparitively soft sidewalls and will have a marked amount of flex when cornering hard. Being more compliant, the point at which taller tyres loose grip is usually more progressive instead of a snap from grip to slip

maggi112":eiz2lfbc said:
Araf":eiz2lfbc said:
maggi112":eiz2lfbc said:

Oh right. Then the thread I found on cs when looking was wrong! It was referenced in a sales thread I was looking at, and I checked it after posting.

I assume the wind runs the same front calipers then?
I wouldn't mind some still, but I'm happy with the new wheels. If some came up cheap enough I would get them though.
I love the look. Just the multifit look is a little off putting. Nothing that can't be sorted of course.

Never seen your wind on them?

Just a thought. Could you be on about the 6 x twin spoke design? Mine have Renault F1 written on them, but are more like the Superturismo.

Wind calipers, discs and suspension legs are all the same as Twingo.

What does everyone think of these oz alloys.
I no the car is wrong but that's all they had. And the pics doesn't really show well!

DBF4D8D0-EAD1-441A-A3E3-CE9D270BE6CF-1320-0000006D89C67D33.jpg

84498F5B-4B4D-4D58-99B4-8EDB13D910AE-1320-0000006D8F2F645F.jpg

I prefer the ultralegera to the superturismo. But it is a nice wheel.

You sure you don't like the 182's (I realise you don't but this picture...)

01-1600.jpg

It's James in his hat!!