New Gordini model joins Twingo range

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Replaces the GT in Twingo line-up
Available with the 1.2 TCe petrol engine
In showrooms in January 2011

Latest News
Readers rate Range Rover EvoquePolice earn millions for breakdown tipsFerrari goes mobileSevern Bridges set for toll riseRelated stories
Renault Fluence video blogRenault Laguna: sharper, leaner, cleanerNissan reveals Twizy concept vehicleRenault announces revised Espace
Renault is to revise its Twingo range with the addition of a new Gordini version to replace the existing GT model.

The new model follows Gordini versions of the Renaultsport Clio and Twingo, and according to the company, it will appeal to buyers who want ‘chic, sporty styling’. It will also allow more buyers to afford a Gordini model, because the new car will be available with a less powerful, cheaper engine.

Outside, the car will stand out from mainstream Twingos, thanks to its unique look. This includes ‘diamond-effect’ alloy wheels and a choice of three paint colours: metallic Blue – which takes 90% of sales in the Twingo and Clio Renaultsport ranges – as well as White and pearlescent Black. On top of that, it has two stripes on the roof and bonnet – as well as matching exterior details – in contrasting colours.

Inside, the car has part-leather upholstery, blue leather inserts in the doors and matching trim on the steering wheel and gearlever. The rev-counter is also blue, but with a white background, while the pedals are made of aluminium.

The exact specification for the car in the UK market is still to be confirmed, but in France it will have air-conditioning, cruise control and Bluetooth.

Among the options are several things not previously available on the Twingo GT, such as Renaultsport-style seats, blue/black upholstery and full leather upholstery.

What buyers will have no choice over, though, is the engine. The new Gordini comes only with the 1.2 TCe 100 petrol unit from the Twingo GT.

It will go on sale in January next year, and although the price has yet to be confirmed, it will sit somewhere between the outgoing GT and current Renaultsport models, suggesting a price of about £11,500.

I'm in two minds on this, in once sense people who like the RS Gordini but can't afford it would probably like the idea of a Gordini GT. Having said that, few people even know the RS Gordini exists let alone go for the GT version.

Also, if the RS Gordini got a grilling for not being a 'proper Gordini' according to most journalists, surely the GT could expect even harsher criticism?

I would say the other big thing that could go against it, the RS Twingo 133 Cup. It's only £600 more than the GT Gordini. Admittedly it's a more basic car but with the wheels, bumpers and arches as well as the 1.6 16v engine, it'd be a no brainer for that price range.

To be fair i dont think it will sell seeing the price differnces only reason it may sell is if people want cheap insurance but the RS insurance isnt to bad anyway to be fair.

Other thing is the gordini has always been known to be one of the highest specced cars out of the renault range like the renaultsports. A GT isnt going to be able to match that as it hasnt got the renaultsport engine.

Part of me says its a good idea reading about it but when you put prices and what not down on paper then its not so brillant as it may seems

Don't see it selling well either... My Cup with options cost the same as a 1.2 GT?! Know what I'd rather have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twingogeekeo":d41k24o9 said:
To be fair i dont think it will sell seeing the price differnces only reason it may sell is if people want cheap insurance but the RS insurance isnt to bad anyway to be fair.

That was exactly my thinking. The RenaultSport Twingos aren't exactly killer to insure, especially compared to an RS Megane or Clio.

In fact, look at the deciding factors for most people look at when buying a car -

Insurance
Economy
Servicing
Performance
Tax
Price

When you consider that none of those factors are hugely different from a GT to an RS it's a no brainer when you look at the 133 Cup.

Having said that, by all accounts RenaultSport sell the most cars in the UK than any other country. So you may find that although the Gordini GT isn't popular here but may be more so over in Europe.

Thing is, can you imagine buying one and then pulling up next to a 133 or RS Gordini and looking over thinking 'I wish I'd bought that one!'. :cry:

Thats what i did when i had my GT reason i got a RS :lol:

And good point europe it could be a good seller but i guess it depends on all the costs over there that you have listed already.

I can imagine that'd be the case with a lot of people who don't realise that actually the 133 is a surprisingly cheap to run and insure.

I also think this may become on of them you either love it or hate it cars due to the engine size. If i was to buy the gordini i would rather the 1.6 then the 1.2T.

Personally if i had a choice out of the 1.2T gordini or a 133 Cup as there the same money i would get the 133 cup and its going be be more fun and hadle better as the GT suspenion is a bit rolly polly

Official Renault press release I received today...

FRIDAY 19TH NOVEMBER 2010

RENAULT EXTENDS ITS GORDINI LINE-UP

• Twingo Gordini 100 aimed at drivers seeking a combination of French style and great dynamics
• UK order books open 25th November, priced £11,395 (based on 20% VAT), for deliveries in mid-January 2011

A NEW ADDITION TO THE SUCCESSFUL GORDINI LINE-UP

Within a matter of months since the launch of the Gordini versions of the Renaultsport Twingo and Clio, Renault is now poised to launch an even more affordable, twin-striped version of its smallest model, Twingo, priced £11,395.

The new Twingo Gordini 100, powered by the 1.2 TCe (Turbo Control Efficiency) petrol engine, is aimed squarely at customers looking for good handling and affordable running costs, wrapped up in a chic and sporty three-door package.

The appeal of the Gordini versions of Twingo and Clio Renaultsport to a younger audience has already surpassed expectations, with sales of both models having risen significantly. So much so, that since their arrival across Europe, the halo version of the Twingo now accounts for two-thirds of sales and one-third in the case of Clio. The French marque is now aiming to emulate such runaway success of its ‘French flair’ models with its latest model, which slots into the range above Dynamique, in place of the former GT.

The newcomer is instantly recognisable as a Gordini, through its trademark twin racing stripes with subtle ‘G’ badging across the bonnet, roof and tailgate. Its striking apparel continues with gloss black front and rear bumpers, extra-tinted rear windows and tailgate and discreet Gordini Series badging.

The sporty theme continues with its colour palette choice of three – Malta Blue, with white Gordini stripes and matching details (foglight surrounds, door mirrors and rear spoiler), or Pearlescent Black and Glacier White. In the case of the latter, the styling details are picked out in anthracite.

On the inside, the bespoke ambience continues. The Gordini 100 features dark carbon cloth seats with embossed Gordini logo and white stitching, blue door trim inserts with white stitching and blue leather-trimmed steering wheel with two white stripes to indicate the straight ahead position. The Gordini rev-counter naturally comes in trademark blue with white background and bezel, while the Gordini gear lever knob shares the same blue hue, as does the gear lever base. Completing the raft of accoutrements is a gloss black centre console and aluminium pedals.

The upmarket feel also crosses over to its equipment level. Standard kit on the trendy addition to Renault’s popular city car line-up, includes 4x20W RDS radio with single CD MP3 player, Bluetooth™ and aux input, air conditioning, 15-inch ‘Turini’ alloy wheels with polished face and black inserts, cruise control, electric windows, speed limiter and independent sliding and folding rear seats.

Twingo Gordini 100 can also be ordered with features previously unavailable on GT, including polished alloys with blue inserts and leather upholstery, to be precise, leather-faced Gordini seats with blue detailing. Other options include climate control, metallic paint and electric panoramic sunroof with sunblind. The Gordini stripes on the bonnet, roof and tailgate are a no-cost removable option.

Under the bonnet of the latest version is the responsive 1.2 TCe petrol engine, pushing out 100hp at 5,500 rpm, with a top speed of 117 mph. Meanwhile, beneath the chic Gordini TCe 100 body, lies the GT chassis with stiffer shock absorbers and bushes, and recalibrated sports steering.

With its sporty styling and dynamic on-road performance, you could be forgiven for thinking that its environmental credentials would inevitably suffer. But, you would be wrong. With CO2 emissions of 132 grams per kilometre, the Gordini TCe 100 qualifies for the Renault eco² signature, as well as offering impressive combined fuel economy of 49.5 mpg. Crucially for a car of its ilk, and especially its appeal to younger buyers, its insurance group is likely to be competitive when it is formally announced soon.

Thirty years on from its heyday, the Gordini name, not to mention its inimitable look, still holds a special place in many people’s hearts. Today, its timeless French style means that nine out of every ten customers chooses the blue livery, while only one per cent of buyers order a Gordini without stripes. Overall, the Gordini line-up has enabled Renault to extend its reach to a younger, more style-conscious audience, with Twingo Renaultsport's market share up by five percentage points in the thirty to forty age group.

The Gordini name has also attracted a sizeable cult following. Its fan community on Facebook has over 28,000 fans, while the Gordini iPhone® application has been downloaded more than 115,000 times. Interestingly, the Facebook community's profile differs from that of the conventional Renaultsport models, in that it has twice as many female followers and is on average 15 years younger.

Attachments

• R_6592.jpg
    R_6592.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 357
  • R_6593.jpg
    R_6593.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 357
  • R_6594.jpg
    R_6594.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 357
it seems strange to me that its not gordini blue :?: :?:

Yeah that's what put me off the new gordini range :( bring back racing blue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original Gordini Racing Blue is a gorgeous colour but in a practical/nerdy sense it's not all that great. An ex-girlfriend of mine, owned a Racing Blue Clio 182 and the colour was a pain in the ar$e. Shows every swirl and also being a solid it fades.

Althought the new Gordini (Malta) blue isn't the original, I'm a fan because it's a homage to the original but a modern twist. Also it's genuinely a great colour. Out of all the Renaults I've had and driven, the Malta Blue only comes second to Inferno as my favourite colour.

As for the Gordini GT, at least Renault have held back a little to keep the RS Gordini still fairly exclusive. As in making the climate control etc as optional and also the RS version getting full leather rather than optional half leather.

I will admit though, I do actually quite like the way it looks and as a package I think it's rather good. The wheels as mentioned do look like the Turinis and I think it's more subtle in a good way than the RenaultSport Gordini.

My only bug bear is that it's spoilt the exclusivity of the Gordini range. I'm not not bitter, honest!!!! lol :twisted:

This new model is more then likely a way to use up the parts bin from the japanese limitee models, as the jap spec GT limitee's were fully loaded they even had tiptronic transmission

still prefer the jap versions or both RS and GT to euro versions though, but does look cool like the gordini rs and is actaully a turbo'd gordini, without the bite lol

The gordini should of always been an independant not based on the RS or the GT, they could of used a tuned 1.4 Turbo lump and had something truly special

I guess it's all about the costs and whether people are likely to buy it if they did release something that special.

Don't get me wrong, I've love to see the Gordini come out as something really far removed from the RS Twingo with a cool turbo charged engine, lightened and faster than a normal Twingo 133.

I guess though, when you look at the praticality of developing the Gordini it makes sense to use the RenaultSport platform. I mean they'd not want to make it faster or as fast as a Clio 200 or put it in the same price price bracket so that'll be why it isn't as good as out imaginations would make it if we had our way!! haha

If any of the Gordini models is likely to be faster than the normal RenaultSport models it could be the Megane 250 as it would be their range topper in terms of trim and performance.

I think for a lot of Gordini owners, well certainly from my perspective, I bought it because of the spec. Couldn't resist the leather and looks with a homage to the Gordini's of old. Also, it's easy to forget that actually the normal RenaultSport Twingo is a bit special, so it's a great basis for the Gordini. Sadly the Twingo GT, in my opnion doesn't quite cut it to be a Gordini.