Pingo the mini R26R (about time...)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
If you want to skip to the decent photos scroll to bottom of this post. I will update this throughout the thread and will not edit this page so be sure to look further...!

It's been a year now that I've owned the Twingo so I thought its about time I get a project thread up with all my modifications. We decided to call it "Pingo" because of the penguin-like colours so it's a cross between Twingo and Pingu (think other people have gone for this name too...?!).

So, I'll try and get this in the order it happened. One thing that I can't for the life of me remember is what order stickers came in so you'll see them chopped and changed all over the place :p

The car is a 2010 133 Cup in Glacier White with ID pack and "racing stripes". I bought this from Jaybee in Oxford and picked it up the day before 2010 FCS which I attended with another club before Karl and I founded Twingo133.net. I didn't want the stripes so they chucked them in for free essentially as they'd only got in the bin. I couldn't find a GW Cup anywhere else so went for this one. I've racked up the miles fairly well with around 17k on the clock... not bad!

FirstTwingoPhotos-2.jpg

Right, here we go... Please excuse some of the old dodgy iPhone photos.

Probably the most common modification - the number plate recess vinyl. What a difference this makes! Now that Renault are shipping the Twingo like this standard it shows how popular this is. Nice and easy to do, bit of black vinyl and away we go.

shalford-13.jpg

I decided I didn't like the standard silver brake calipers so these were painted white to match the car. I say painted but I actually sprayed them and made a huge mess getting overspray over the entire car. A few hours claying the car and it was like new again! I re-painted these months afterwards with a brush :p

twingo-9.jpg

twingo-10.jpg

Silvervisions were on the list next. I had these in both my previous two Clios and it is a must have mod. Removing the horrible orange tint from your otherwise clear clusters makes a world of a difference. I also replaced the sidelights with LED variants which helped to brighten the front up.

Screenshot2011-07-03at104247PM.png

4813282896_461db30c0a_z.jpg

I found an old induction cone laying around so with the help of a bag of cable ties I secured this in on the standard inlet hose. This was horrible and drained the performance but it sounds oh so good! RAWR. I had previously taken the bung out but no need to list that as a mod :p Please note, this was later changed.

-can't find a photo... will update-

After seeing Karls car with a set of HIDs form Josh I had to get me some. The next Oxford meet I got a set from him and these look brilliant! A must have modification and I'll never go back to standard bulbs.

Twingo133net-second-oxford-meet-28.jpg

Next up on the list is the biggest modification to the car. A set of OMP TRS bucket seats with 3" harnesses. These have made by far the best improvement to the cars general look and make driving feel much safer as you're strapped in and in more control of the car. I'm still yet to get the car on track but when I do, these will show their true potential. I believe this was the 3rd Twingo to get bucket seats after much advice from Al on fitment, etc. What a b*tch these were to get in the back of the car. A massive box for the seats and various other boxes for subframes/sidemounts/sliders/harnesses... nightmare!

More photos coming soon... Just realised I have no decent ones!

Screenshot2011-07-03at104437PM.png

Screenshot2011-07-03at104445PM-1.png

Not really a modification but something that happened which needed seeing to! On the way to London to get some photos with friends some pikeys in vans decided to terrorise everyone. I ended up with a smashed window at national speed limit and another car (with baby on board) was almost pushed into the central reservation! Police didn't really care... Anyway, a couple days of not being able to see out of the window and Karl got me a replacement. That was fun fitting but I got it done! Check the name of the bags I used too lol very close to Jaybee Renault.

Screenshot2011-07-03at104427PM.png

Something else I picked up at the same time as the seats is the OMP tow strap. This was a right pain in the ass to fit so I left it for a while. When I finally got around to fitting it I had actually lost my locking wheel key so trying to remove the bumper with minimal access to the wheel arch made things very difficult. Eventually the bumper was dropped and some custom bracket made to fit the tow strap. It fits in very well with the harnesses.

IMG_1764.jpg

I also had a headunit from an old car lying around so I decided to whack this in. A nice feature about it is the huge amount of colour options. I chose orange to match the interior lights all over the car.

-no photo yet...-

I found my old Clio strut brace which apparently fits the Twingo. A bit of filing and whacking later I got this in. I does seem to make a difference but I'm really not sure how much of a placebo this is. It certainly creaks a lot when cornering so I imagine it's taking some kind of strain. One thing I have noticed is it likes to lift-off oversteer much more. This was wrapped in red vinyl to match the rest of the mods very quickly.

-Again, no photo yet...-

Back to the induction setup now... I invested in some silicone and stainless steel pipe to create a much smoother intake. The other benefit was being able to move the cone as far away from the engine as possible. It's very limited in there and the heat soak will still be as bad as before but it looks a hell of a lot better and doesn't whack the bonnet when rev-matching like the old floppy one did :p Next up on the list of mods is some heat shielding to surround the whole induction setup.

IMG_1964.jpg

The rear Twingo sticker was next to be removed from the car. A hair dryer and 5 minutes later the rear of the car was nice and clean. Much better!

notwingobadhe.jpg

Rattle cans made another appearance but well away from the car this time. I couldn't decide what colour to spray the front badge but I really didn't like the chrome (previous two Clios had this done as a priority). Due to the black surround of the front badge I decided to spray the front Glacier White and the rear Pearl Black to match the ID parts. The rear badge also has a center which I colour coded Glacier White, too. These made a huge difference to the appearance as well.

-Hmm, no photos yet again!-

To match this, I also knocked up a replacement sticker for the rear RS badge. [shameless_plug]I will be selling a set of RS badge + Twingo badge replacements like this soon[/shameless_plug]

5899000702_73aee03d6e_z.jpg

Another huge change to the cars appearance was the wheels. Due to kerbing (d'oh!) I needed these done anyway, but I decided to be brave and try something different. To match the harnesses and other red pieces of the car - the wheels went RED! I had previously sprayed my wheel diamonds white which I forgot to mention (just remembered this!). The diamonds went black but were soon changed back to white as they looked a bit crap.

Screenshot2011-07-03at105530PM.png

Screenshot2011-07-03at105539PM.png

Screenshot2011-07-03at105544PM.png

Screenshot2011-07-03at105551PM.png

Now because of the red wheels and bucket seats I decided to go down the route of a "Mini R26R". This involved a good few hour mocking things up, measuring and designing the artwork for the car. The graphics were drawn from many R26R photos and ended up looking pretty nice! These were just test stickers so they were whacked on the car quickly for some photos. I will be replacing these shortly with adjusted ones (ie. front needs moving to the NS to fit the logo on in the correct place).

5898435557_d99e11b08f_z.jpg

5899002474_254a392395_z.jpg

5898999550_20043e6e9f_z.jpg

5898995112_94b616a415_z.jpg

Future mods (in no particular order);
OMP steering wheel + boss kit
Custom exhaust
Carbon fibre bonnet (maybe... I need it to complete the R26R look)
Induction heat shield
Spoiler + diffuser.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think that's about it for now...! I will keep this updated with any future modifications and I'm happy to answer any questions about anything above. Sorry if it seems rushed - it is!

Looks mint, just take all the stickers off the back window or just leave a few then it will look a million times better, theres too many and it just looks tacky

Sharpy":x857vt2s said:
Looks mint, just take all the stickers off the back window or just leave a few then it will look a million times better, theres too many and it just looks tacky
I'm in two minds about this. On one hand it's a bit over the top but on the other, it's to help promote business and will eventually be a moving billboard essentially with examples of work. At the moment, the car is more for show than anything so it'll probably stay like that until it makes track time.

Well if it helps to promote business then its best to have them on, it still looks good but having a sticker mash up is more dub/rat scene imo. Will definitely look alot cleaner with a bit less stickers, just too much going on at the back for me.

love it so much! just not the black stripes any more :) leave the stickers it is a fantastic way of promiting your company, the amount of people at fcs who where looking and laughing!

Looks awesome! Think it would look mint with a carbon bonnet!(kinda agree with Sharpy on the rear window, but each to their own n all that and if its promoting its an added bonus!)

Matt":dludguzr said:
Sharpy":dludguzr said:
I'm in two minds about this. On one hand it's a bit over the top but on the other, it's to help promote business and will eventually be a moving billboard essentially with examples of work. At the moment, the car is more for show than anything so it'll probably stay like that until it makes track time.

The problem is, you can't easily spot your advertising due to the other (imo) tatt. For people who know you and the car, you don't need to name drop. But for a mobile business card, theres not much there to say to others, "I'm Stickeroo and can make any of these graphics".

R26 style graphics and wheels look prety :cool:

Looking awesome mate! With the carbon bonnet do it, buy extend it too the crease line near the Renault Badge on the front or it will just look too short! (in my opinion)

Looks awesome dude :)
Good work!

I think if you lose the Black Stripes and go for a more R26.R look, it will be super awesome :lol:

I'd buy the Renaultsport Stickers, if you did the new style in Carbon :p

That is really nice, i dont have one bad thing to say about the car, its different :)

I love the stripes :( but if we change the bonnet they will look odd so they will have to go.

a carbon bonnet with some red&grey stripes would look pretty good I guess :oops:

But, it's turning into one of the best white 133's i've seen on here!

Matt":ouh1hdem said:
TURBO":ouh1hdem said:
looks amazing mate :cool:
Changed a bit since you saw it last :)

yea il say!!!
i loved it last time i saw it so prob a good job im not so close anymore or i might try to steal it :lol: :lol:

i think the mini r26r is a great idea....carbon bonnet,red roll cage :cool: