RS160 - Twingo Gordini #159

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my coilovers smoother than my h&r spring setup as well, which I didn't expect tbh.

Also pretty good way of setting it up to get it close, how did come up with that method?

Also is that the back that you flattened a little? As I don't think mine catches and mine is a touch lower I think.

James-Hilton":2knfb5ba said:
I have the Weitec Kit that K-tec sell. I got some knocking from the front usually only on start up and uneven roads. I was thinking it might be a problem with my mounts. Mine could still be a little bit lose. Is it a easy fix?
Do you have standard style topmounts or solid ones? A close up pic may help

It's just the stock mounts that I have. I'm thinking they might not have tightened them up enough when they fitted my coilovers because the knocking started about 1,000 miles afterwards. I've barely driven my car lately and not had the time to sort it out. :(

the_notorious_C_A_T":36fdqa6l said:
I found my coilovers smoother than my h&r spring setup as well, which I didn't expect tbh.
I was dubious about the spring rating as the BC's have the same rates as the harder ones specced for the R2 tarmac setup. Pleasantly surprised is an understatement :cool:

Also pretty good way of setting it up to get it close, how did come up with that method?
I saw it ages ago and have used it on the Westy and also Audi after I had the subframe and rear axle off.

Also is that the back that you flattened a little? As I don't think mine catches and mine is a touch lower I think.
Yes, that's the back. I stuck my head in the arch and looked for anything sharp that may have caused a problem... Just back from town, 3 up and the rear rubs over bumps with the ET43 Speedlines. Not sure where yet, as its dark and very wet outside

maggi112":36fdqa6l said:
How many clicks did you settle on Neil?
20 (out of 30), so quite soft but certainly not wooly. Its nice to feel like your on the road, not just bouncing from bump to bump on rock hard dampers. But, I may firm them up a bit more.

James-Hilton":25lev5pk said:
It's just the stock mounts that I have. I'm thinking they might not have tightened them up enough when they fitted my coilovers because the knocking started about 1,000 miles afterwards. I've barely driven my car lately and not had the time to sort it out. :(
it could be the tophat (-the bit in the engine bay which stops the damper dropping out of the wing when unweighted) knocking against the side of the hole. Clio 2's were prone to it and the Twingo is based on them. A Renault mod was to grind the hole larger, which fixed it, but is a bit rough and would limit the use of solid topmounts which are made to fit in the hole. Adding a washer under the tophat would lift it a bit and give some more clearance.

Had a run down Aberdeenshire and met up with some of the Clio197 members. After a bit of a blether, we had a run out. I think everyone liked it and were surprised at the little Dini keeping up with a quickish pace and also catching up again when the 5 car convoy became split up at junctions. There was a couple of times when I ended up having to lift off mid corner or brake, as there were Clios ahead... The grip and balance of the BC's with AD08 rubber on the ground is prety darn good and worlds away from lowering springs on the cup dampers.

I definately need to raise the ride height a bit, as theres just too many times when the thing rubs. The shoulder of the rear tyres is just catching the screw that holds the top of the arch extension, so that could be fixed. But its also, grounding the exhaust and subframe on the track up to the house so a slight lift would be good. So, the extra 6mm spacers will be going in the rear and the front will go up a couple of mm.

Spacers added to the rear.

Gordy. You would be lucky to spot it, as were prety well hidden

I left the front at the original ride height.
8713920701_834ff0edf5_b_d.jpg

Thats all the spacers and rubber mountings in place, so the max height
8713919255_c987a33ba9_b_d.jpg

8713915797_7ec39aa04e_b_d.jpg

8714393322_555ea12966_b_d.jpg

8715034888_3bcb69c32a_b_d.jpg

Looks great Neil. I'm really loving this with the wheel combo. I thought it was the front that was catching? Or only the rears? I only have issues with the fronts catching not the rears on 6mm spacers. OEM wheels are totally different offset though clearly

OEM is ET55 and 7" wide. The Speedines are ET43 and 7" wide and the rears just catch the shoulder of the tyre on the arch lip. With the 12mm spacer, it rubbed very regularly but with the full stack of 12+6mm spacers, the rubbing is minimised to the larger bumps

My cup wheels with 205s rubbed on the front, where yours has been , against the front of the arch liner. The speedlines with 195/50/15 have 10-12mm clearance on full lock at the same point and this height.

Comp_CXR_2011__76265.1307497703.1280.1280.jpg

Just musing the posibility that 7x15 Compomotive CXR wheels in ET47 would prevent the rear tyre rubbing, as I only need a couple of mm. I'd need to double check the caliper dimensions first, to make sure the rim fits over the caliper but the 2118s may be comming off, shedding a couple of Kgs in the process.

Lovely wheels. I considered these previously, but I prefer the MO6 myself. Although the MO5 and MO6 are overdone.

Would you get a staggered fit front/back or would you get et47 all round?

Stagered fit ET47 rear and ET43 front is an idea if the caliper clearance on the front is too tight.

I could use a spacer, but only being a few mm thick and hubcentric spacers starting at 10mm it would be reducing the length of the hub spigot. Certainly not keen on that idea so stagered may be the option but that reduces the options for swapping wheels front/rear when fitting new tyres as a pair.

I'll need to measure the actual clearance first (as requested by Compomotive) and then weigh up the options

I ordered a staggered set from them for my last car, they were very helpful. They actually got hold of a car to check the clearances for me, but it was a more common vehicle. The stagger was the other way around though :lol:

I'm still undecided, as the turinis I want are trophys but the ones that come up for sale are usually from cups which have a lower offset and will cause the rubbing.

How far have you bent the tabs back?