Shell V-Power vs Shell regular unleaded?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcushudghton1

Reaction score
Does anybody actually know of any noticable difference between thw two types of unleaded? I have always been led to believe that V-Power is a bit cleaner and makes your car run a bit smother but has anyone on here ACTUALLY noted any differences in the driving of their car between the two fuels?
Cheers :thumbup:

the RON rating is to do with resistance to knock, or how well the fuel can withstand pre-detonation / going banggg before it's flash point which is what the RON rating relates to. with a high compression engine, the hotter it gets the more likely it is that this will occur at higher RPM so a car running 97/98 RON would be able to withstand higher temperatures and compressions before knock would occur. it strictly has no power increase and has nothing to do with power so i'd go with what your car was designed to work with which i believe is 95 ron unleaded (tells you on the fuel filler cap) as there wont be any gains to be had from using 97/98 RON :D

oscar":3tggge66 said:
the RON rating is to do with resistance to knock, or how well the fuel can withstand pre-detonation / going banggg before it's flash point which is what the RON rating relates to. with a high compression engine, the hotter it gets the more likely it is that this will occur at higher RPM so a car running 97/98 RON would be able to withstand higher temperatures and compressions before knock would occur. it strictly has no power increase and has nothing to do with power so i'd go with what your car was designed to work with which i believe is 95 ron unleaded (tells you on the fuel filler cap) as there wont be any gains to be had from using 97/98 RON :D

i like to discuss (sorry for that :D) can you explain my remapping then from 95 to 98 octane's , i was first running 95 octane (esso fuel) after that i flushed it with 5 tanks of 98 octanes (Shell V-power) and came back to the dyno again with the same mapping on the car ... (both dyno's and remapping where done with BMC panel filter and custom exhaust system)

GhostZ":3tggge66 said:
So i have done the re-map of the Gordini.
Thing is you will see 2 graphs one i did with BMC panel filter and the custom exhaust but i ran it on 95 octane (Esso fuel)
The 2nd graph is done afterwards cause the tuner itself was not satisfied with the result and told me come back free of charge and put it on the dyno again after you done 4-5 tanks of 98 octane (i used Shell V-power)

546799_372311789475704_190911027615782_1099971_744501770_n.jpg

KUrWrcA.jpg

Original = P Lu.(mBar) 1023.2 | T Lu.(°C) 17.9 | DIN 0.987 | 132.3PK@6514rpm / 166.2Nm@ 4173rpm
95 Oct = P Lu.(mBar) 1022.1 | T Lu.(°C) 17.8 | DIN 0.988 | 138.7PK@6528rpm / 179.9Nm@ 4243rpm
Z7TxR5X.jpg
98 Oct = P Lu.(mBar) 1021.2 | T Lu.(°C) 22.9 | DIN 0.997 | 144.0PK@6717rpm /179.4Nm@ 4301rpm

Result = the engine response is amazing and also get more kilometers out of my fuel tank , so i am verry happy :D

or is this all a lie and a placebo effect and i threw away my money for buying 98 octane's or is your theory somewhat a bit wrong ?

no the theory is 100% correct :) cant knock basic physics, no pun intended lol. so on the 95 RON fuel your car will have been knocking at high RPM as the heat really builds up. the spark advance can only be advanced so much before the knock sensor detects knock / pinking and retards the spark timing. on 98 RON, the ignition can be advanced further than it would on 95 RON as it has a higher resistance to knocking. this will results in a small increase in horsepower but this is only due to the slightly higher resistance to detonation that the 98 RON has in comparison to 95. the chemical energy is the same over the both fuels , it's just down to how your engine can make the best use of the fuel it's provided with which makes the difference.

like i said it doesn't actually increase power, you're just going to be able to push your engine a little bit harder when it comes to playing with the fuelling and ignition

oscar":20vww0o1 said:
no the theory is 100% correct :) cant knock basic physics, no pun intended lol. so on the 95 RON fuel your car will have been knocking at high RPM as the heat really builds up. the spark advance can only be advanced so much before the knock sensor detects knock / pinking and retards the spark timing. on 98 RON, the ignition can be advanced further than it would on 95 RON as it has a higher resistance to knocking. this will results in a small increase in horsepower but this is only due to the slightly higher resistance to detonation that the 98 RON has in comparison to 95. the chemical energy is the same over the both fuels , it's just down to how your engine can make the best use of the fuel it's provided with which makes the difference.

like i said it doesn't actually increase power, you're just going to be able to push your engine a little bit harder when it comes to playing with the fuelling and ignition

so i read all this and find it very informative but in short the remap with a higher octane fuel does help some then to increase a bit more power then lower octane fuel ?

because your last text says IT doesn't increase power so my dyno results are lies then ? (because the numbers are there that it increased a bit ?)

it's a hard concept to get your head around, i know that my heads turning to mush just trying to explain it *FACE PALM* lol, but in a way you are kind of right but at the same time kind of wrong. the reason why your car can run more power on 98RON than it can on 95RON is due to the properties of the the 98RON allowing the fuel to be compressed a little more before it goes BANG if you get what i mean? the actual chemical energy in both fuels will remain the same, but the 98 RON will need to be squeezed a little more before it can go BANG if you get what i mean?

basically meaning that you can set the spark from the spark plug go a little earlier when remapping which at higher RPM results in more power, but the power doesn't come from the fuel itself it actually comes from ignition timing itself. if you were to try and run the same ignition timing you have just now on 95RON, the knock sensor in your engine would retard the spark and you'd loose some power / performance. the knock sensor is what's in charge, it's the boss!

WHERES NEIL :( lol

oscar":2ecpmehk said:
it's a hard concept to get your head around, i know that my heads turning to mush just trying to explain it *FACE PALM* lol, but in a way you are kind of right but at the same time kind of wrong. the reason why your car can run more power on 98RON than it can on 95RON is due to the properties of the the 98RON allowing the fuel to be compressed a little more before it goes BANG if you get what i mean? the actual chemical energy in both fuels will remain the same, but the 98 RON will need to be squeezed a little more before it can go BANG if you get what i mean?

basically meaning that you can set the spark from the spark plug go a little earlier when remapping which at higher RPM results in more power, but the power doesn't come from the fuel itself it actually comes from ignition timing itself. if you were to try and run the same ignition timing you have just now on 95RON, the knock sensor in your engine would retard the spark and you'd loose some power / performance. the knock sensor is what's in charge, it's the boss!

WHERES NEIL :( lol

so like you said they changed the ignition timing a bit so it can squeeze a bit more power per cylinder out because of the 98 ron at higher RPM's in short somewhat lolz im also trying to understand :D ( i understand it a bit better now)

so simplified and bluntly said 98 ron + later/early ignition timing = more squeeze of fuel mixture per cylinder = bigger bangs inside = more power yay :mrgreen: ?

oscar":1vqrhlv0 said:

Curious Oscar, my fuel filler actually says 95 or 98! Did they change anything on the face lifts??

Nick3814":y1t22dvv said:
oscar":y1t22dvv said:

Curious Oscar, my fuel filler actually says 95 or 98! Did they change anything on the face lifts??

it is same for my Dini non facelift ;)

Yeah, pretty much higher octane is less combustible. So it can be compressed more (pressure) without exploding.

Nick3814":82vhuuyz said:
oscar":82vhuuyz said:

it's mapped from factory to run on 95 as standard to reach it's full performance figures but if you were remapping it, it'l be safe to run on the 98RON. there are some cars out there which are awful when mapped on the standard ECU going from 95 to 98 RON no names mentioned lol

oscar":3pcceph0 said:
Nick3814":3pcceph0 said:
oscar":3pcceph0 said:

it's mapped from factory to run on 95 as standard to reach it's full performance figures but if you were remapping it, it'l be safe to run on the 98RON. there are some cars out there which are awful when mapped on the standard ECU going from 95 to 98 RON no names mentioned lol

I use nothing but 98, always have done, do we think that'll adversely affect performance in standard guise then??

not at all, won't make any difference in all honesty other than adding a couple of quid onto the bill. mines is mapped with 98RON too :) i was told from one of the guys who works in the petrochemical refinery @ grangemouth that the premium fuels have a higher quantity of cleaning additives in them but i have no way of proving or disproving this

I've always used V-power in the RS250 even before it was mapped and always in the RS133 too, I think a lot of it is feeling better about using the best quality fuel for your pride and joy, you wouldn't convince me to use anything but ;)

i'd agree with that, especially with a megane and the notorious injectors blockage faults that rear their heads with age :) a couple of quid per re-fill extra over lesser graded fuel, with all it's added cleaning agents it's worth it for preventative maintenance reasons + if you own and run a megane, chances are you're not someone who struggles for money ;) jealous much haha

oscar":2n9yc0r6 said:
i'd agree with that, especially with a megane and the notorious injectors blockage faults that rear their heads with age :) a couple of quid per re-fill extra over lesser graded fuel, with all it's added cleaning agents it's worth it for preventative maintenance reasons + if you own and run a megane, chances are you're not someone who struggles for money ;) jealous much haha

Ha! I'd struggle for money if I ran it daily :D off the road now till the new year now the tax has ran out ;)