Strut Brace

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would a strut brace fitted to a 172/182 Clio fit a twingo?
And singlespeed... What do you mean by this! They don't do anything?

singlespeedI don't see how mounting the brace between the top of the shock absorbers can improve the handling. Having rubber mounts is hardly going to improve torsional rigidity. [/quote said:
I can imagine it limits the flex inbetween the shocks within the rubber mounts.

But I agree, the brace mounted on top of a rubber mount with nothing more than a single stud seems like a cop out.
A fully adjustable brace underneith the top mount, with the triple stud, would probably be a better mounting.

I can't imagine it would do much for our cars to be honest. Although aesthetically I think they are very nice!

madmatt":plcnz8tu said:

But I agree, the brace mounted on top of a rubber mount with nothing more than a single stud seems like a cop out.
A fully adjustable brace underneith the top mount, with the triple stud, would probably be a better mounting.

It not as if the shocks play a part in the rear suspension geometry, as the rear is a beam and trailing arms, therefore all the geometry of the rear wheels is dependent on the design of the beam assembly and how it's mounted onto the chassis.

All the shocks are doing is damping the vertical motion of the trailing arms, unlike the front which is Mcpherson struts, therefore the upper shock mounting plays a large part in camber, caster and therefore toe angles.

The rear beam is mounted onto the floor pan therefore, for any improvement the torsional rigidity of the chassis around the rear end would need the chassis itself brasing, not the tops of the shock absorbers

Courtney has it sussed - "Although aesthetically I think they are very nice!"

singlespeed":37qs6dj1 said:
madmatt":37qs6dj1 said:

It not as if the shocks play a part in the rear suspension geometry, as the rear is a beam and trailing arms, therefore all the geometry of the rear wheels is dependent on the design of the beam assembly and how it's mounted onto the chassis.

All the shocks are doing is damping the vertical motion of the trailing arms, unlike the front which is Mcpherson struts, therefore the upper shock mounting plays a large part in camber, caster and therefore toe angles.

The rear beam is mounted onto the floor pan therefore, for any improvement the torsional rigidity of the chassis around the rear end would need the chassis itself brasing, not the tops of the shock absorbers

Exactly! Great and accurate answer!

Al":37atnhsq said:
singlespeed":37atnhsq said:
madmatt":37atnhsq said:

Exactly! Great and accurate answer!

+ 1

I've had some of the same thoughts reading this whole thread!

And don't get me started on why a front strut would be almost as useless.

Al":2b7oxxkr said:
TURBO":2b7oxxkr said:
Al":2b7oxxkr said:

please explain :p

Again?! Really?! FFS. lol

are you trying to imply that the plastic skuttle pannel does not offer much in the way of structural support :lol:

the only benifit of a rear strut brace on a 133 that i can see would be somewhere to loop your front harnesses from but even then im not sure all scrutineers would approve :?

TURBO":fe2dhq74 said:
Al":fe2dhq74 said:
TURBO":fe2dhq74 said:
Al":fe2dhq74 said:

are you trying to imply that the plastic skuttle pannel does not offer much in the way of structural support :lol:

the only benifit of a rear strut brace on a 133 that i can see would be somewhere to loop your front harnesses from but even then im not sure all scrutineers would approve :?

Well you can do that. If you don't value your life in a crash when they'd rip the flimsy attachments straight off. Sellotape would be a good alternative.

The main reason a front strut would do nothing is because the front turrets are so close to the firewall that movement would be so minimal.

Struts on Twingos look cool. Struts on Twingos do nothing.

Al":27q6k08z said:
TURBO":27q6k08z said:
TURBO":27q6k08z said:

Well you can do that. If you don't value your life in a crash when they'd rip the flimsy attachments straight off. Sellotape would be a good alternative.

The main reason a front strut would do nothing is because the front turrets are so close to the firewall that movement would be so minimal.

Struts on Twingos look cool. Struts on Twingos do nothing.

i was only yanking your chain mate

sellotape :lol: :lol:

:lol: I know, but you never know who's reading it.

I ain't getting one! I'll spend 50 dollar on something to please me more than a red pole with 2 holes on it then

All this begs the question...

What did Renault have in mind when they profiled the trim panel and pre-cut a hole in the carpet
5999345953_90940529b8_z_d.jpg

Behind which, theres three studs welded to the chassis
5999346071_9bb7825f53_z_d.jpg

^Isn't that the different fittings for the different rear seats? Single/double.

Al":mgxyihzx said:
^Isn't that the different fittings for the different rear seats? Single/double.
:idea: Mounts for the rear bench seat. Makes sence realy