Suspension Lower Balljoint Rubbers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might not be useful information for you all - But my old clio I have been told has the same ball joins as the new twingos, these have just caused my car to fail the MOT - I might be stating the obvious, but would a twingo failing the MOT on these ball joints cause renault to do a recall?

the only reason this thought came into my head is that, my clio has the origional ones on (and its a 2000 reg) so they are obviously meant to last longer? wonder if as the Twingo gets older, renault may be made more aware as they start to fail the MOT's on this item.

tommy89":8x5p9agz said:
Might not be useful information for you all - But my old clio I have been told has the same ball joins as the new twingos, these have just caused my car to fail the MOT - I might be stating the obvious, but would a twingo failing the MOT on these ball joints cause renault to do a recall?

the only reason this thought came into my head is that, my clio has the origional ones on (and its a 2000 reg) so they are obviously meant to last longer? wonder if as the Twingo gets older, renault may be made more aware as they start to fail the MOT's on this item.
The non RS Twingo's have bolt on balljoints which can be replaced without the current need for a whole arm. Which is the case on the 133

tommy89":1oqae8uf said:
aah! right, my mistake sorry :)
No problem. I think the same company makes the balljoints and arms on all the Twingos, so premature splitting could well affect the 1.2 as well and maybe worthy of note if that was your first MOT at 3 years and the milage isn't above average ;)

Just had some great news from Renault as both my front ball joints had gone after only being on the car for less then 16 months after being replaced at its last service, My Twingo is 3 1/2 years old, so way out of warranty. So the total cost was going to be about £600. I got on to Renault UK as i thought this was a bit off that i`ve done the average mileage in the year and the parts have already failed. I spoke to lovely lady who went back to Platinum Renault and managed to sort out a deal where Renault pay for 80% of the total cost so i only have a small amount to pay,result!! I did say this seems to be problem with the 133 and Renault may need to look into this as i know a few other examples and the fact that this is the third time my car has had to have them replaced. So I think people need to question it with Renault if it happens to them to get Renault to sit up and notice.

Just looked at mine to night on the ramp at work and noticed both have gone what a surprise not lol so i will be on the phone to Renault in the morning :)

Fabio has been in contact with OCAP, the Italian company that makes the suspension parts on the Twingos and come up with a number for the balljoint with rubber boot - 402727(this is the bolt on type for the 1.2)

I have been into the local motor factors who don't deal with OCAP parts but Quinten Hazle apparently make a balljoint for the Twingo 1.6 and it was delivered this afternoon. If its not the bolt on version, listed in error from the 1.2's, I'll pick it up tomorrow morning at the princly sum of £16

toni_133":35dm1qo1 said:
Just had some great news from Renault as both my front ball joints had gone after only being on the car for less then 16 months after being replaced at its last service, My Twingo is 3 1/2 years old, so way out of warranty. So the total cost was going to be about £600. I got on to Renault UK as i thought this was a bit off that i`ve done the average mileage in the year and the parts have already failed. I spoke to lovely lady who went back to Platinum Renault and managed to sort out a deal where Renault pay for 80% of the total cost so i only have a small amount to pay,result!! I did say this seems to be problem with the 133 and Renault may need to look into this as i know a few other examples and the fact that this is the third time my car has had to have them replaced. So I think people need to question it with Renault if it happens to them to get Renault to sit up and notice.

class31":35dm1qo1 said:
I got mine off Karl for £274.83 all in. Fitted locally for £40 each side. That's for complete lower arms.

I guess you can just stick your head under the car and see if the baljoint rubber have gone? If so, I'll have a look tomorrow and if they are gone i'll have to bring the car in at renault now it still has warranty.

singlespeed":2ez5cev1 said:
I have been into the local motor factors who don't deal with OCAP parts but Quinten Hazle apparently make a balljoint for the Twingo 1.6 and it was delivered this afternoon. If its not the bolt on version, listed in error from the 1.2's, I'll pick it up tomorrow morning at the princly sum of £16
Quinten Hazle and also Febe list balljoints for the Twingo 1.6. However the listing is wrong and they are bolt on replacements for the 1.2 with pressed steel arms :(

Lack of consideration on my part so perhaps a silly question, but...

Is this the result of a design fault, where too much stress is placed with no regards for the variations in set ups on an rs particularly or poor quality rubber/materials.

Could this not be resolved rather than having to find a cheaper replacement like Neil is doing? An uprated part or do we accept it happens and find the cheapest replacement when it does

maggi112":13a5v010 said:
Lack of consideration on my part so perhaps a silly question, but...

Is this the result of a design fault, where too much stress is placed with no regards for the variations in set ups on an rs particularly or poor quality rubber/materials.

Could this not be resolved rather than having to find a cheaper replacement like Neil is doing? An uprated part or do we accept it happens and find the cheapest replacement when it does
Balljoints do wear out as its a ball and socket joint much like a hip joint. They normaly last 30-40K or more unless moisture and dirt is allowed into the grease filled internals which greatly accelerates the wear rate. The rubber gattor plays no mechanical part except containing the grease and providing an environmental seal for the bearing surfaces.

IMO, the rubber is absolutely crap as it is perishing and cracking within a few months.

60K on my Audi 1.9TDi with polly bushes and coilovers, then 10miles before replacing them again as these were handed and the garage fitting the left/right sides on the wrong sides and overstressing the joint which was trying to dislocate itself. 140K on my old astra and still fine :)

Yes I realise what it is Neil ;) but as always you've answered it above and beyond!

I assumed it might be the rubber and not additional unnecessary stress placed upon it by poor design. Which is positive as potentially someone can sit up and listen and sort an alternative replacement out that will last longer.

maggi112":2atgoud8 said:
Yes I realise what it is Neil ;) but as always you've answered it above and beyond!

I assumed it might be the rubber and not additional unnecessary stress placed upon it by poor design. Which is positive as potentially someone can sit up and listen and sort an alternative replacement out that will last longer.

Or even Renault could make a suitable replacement ;)

I'll take a picture of rubber screw that sits on the joint of room that tilts back.

It looks like a bolt with some rubber around it and it's already showing signs of wear (its cracking).

Renault has bad rubbers, which are in any case or form, bad mojo :p

Had a look at mine this morning and there gone i think. Took it to Renault and got it booked in to be looked at. Need to get it sorted as warranty ends August so nows a good time for new ones :)

I just had a look at mine and they are perfectly good. So this makes me wonder if they changed them already at the dealers before I bought the car. Makes me wonder if this is because I don't have the cup suspension. although that should not be the problem..