Toxic Fume Filter System Warning Light, flashing- HELP!!!!!!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toni_133

Reaction score
The Twingo has been playing up for the past few months but it has now got serious, as its near about undriveable. It has been feeling like there is something restricting the engine for a while when you accelerate, but over the weekend and today it got a whole lot worse. Its back firing, kangarooing, it won’t rev over 2 1/2, in any gear, bangs, splutters. It`s terrible then the Toxic fume filter system warning lights comes on and either flashes or stays on, until i pull over and turn the engine off and re-start it.

In the Manuel it refers to the light as "Antipollution fuel economy and driving" which is also linked to the Exhaust gas monitoring system.

Can anyone shed any light on the problem, before i take it to the garage to try and explain the problem. I don’t really want to go to the garage before I sort of understand the problem myself.

sounds like its misfiring :cry:
could b coil pack, oxygen sensor, plugs something along those lines. ;)

Lamba sensor could be FUBAR'D that may produce those symptoms. (think it did on one of my previous cars)

At least you've got it booked in.

oxy sensors for twingo are extremely expensive, heads up for you, bout 90 odd quid if its that and one for them is more expensive then other, i believe downstream. mine went with my sports cat melting it, when your driving it would cut power at 2600rpm until i downshifted and was quite dangerous and a pain.

i noticed u saying you were taking your car in earlier, did renault say anything about what it was etc? are they covering it under warranty?

Should be covered under waranty = no costs :)
I believe the Twingo has a preheater in the catalytic converter, to keep emissions low on start up. Would be interesting to see if that's related.

Jake_133":8084rzqg said:
Should be covered under waranty = no costs :)
I believe the Twingo has a preheater in the catalytic converter, to keep emissions low on start up. Would be interesting to see if that's related.

Only diesel have preheaters and they go in the engine ;) You might be on about the oxygen sensor.

I asked about warrenty, and the only answer i got was how many miles had it done, i dont like Platinum chippenham dealership but i didnt have any other choice yesterday. so i`ve just got to grin and bare it i think.

I will be making a massive fuss if it isnt covered, i should hopefully find out today.

Just had a phone call from the garage, apparently its the sparks that have failed, even though they are not due to be changed until the 36,000 mile service and my car has only done 30,500. Does anyone know if i can make the point that it should be covered under warrenty as the spark plugs failed before they are ment too.

I`m not convienced that it is the real problem but i could be wrong, does anyone know why the spark plugs may have failed before 36,000 miles service.

i change mine every time so couldnt tell u im afraid, the cheapest ive found them is £13 each. but i would say that should be covered if renault say they shouldnt be changed for another 6k miles

if they say no, ring RUK and kick up a S*** stink

My dad is coming in with me as he made the point that they should be covered under warranty and he has worked the car industy for about 30 years, so its not like he doesnt know wot he is on about.

sparks should be covered every time, i've had 3 serv's done now and they've been kind enough to change the plugs everytime due to my changes :). sucks when you get an aweful dealer. just glad is wasnt an oxygen sensors as they tend not to be covered i was told and takes about 1-2 hours to install

When I got my 133 brand new i'd only managed to knock up 600 mile on the clock and the Toxic Fume and System Warning Light came on, wasn't to happy to say the least as id only had the car a few weeks!

Anyway took it to the dealer and they sorted it by plugging it into the diagnostics computer and doing something with it that way. It seemed to do the trick until a few days later when the lights re-appeared, so back to the dealer it was!

Turned out in the end it was the Oxygen Sensor. They replaced it with no fuss and under warranty.

well £128.93 later and 4 new plugs the car should (i hope) be ok, we will have to wait and see if it actually worked. if it doesnt then they can stick the spark plugs up there bums

u need to ring RUK and cause a stir. They shouldnt be charging you for that!!

128 quid for 4 spark plugs is taking the !"%$!"

also, take it to a different dealer next time, the one u went to this time sound a right bunch of fraggles

They are, the only thing is I really need the car for the job. I wanted to take it to fish brother in swindon but i didnt have a choice as it wasnt going to make it swindon let alone home after work. :-( It will be visiting fish brothers for its service.